Trying to find Marshall Field's house from the 1970s (even photos)

Jen50

A year ago I contacted my sister in England to ask her if I could have our childhood dollhouse. I knew it was in pieces in her attic and thought she might want to send it back to the US. This house was massive. It was built by a carpenter during the depression. The carpenter was doing some work for my great grandmother when he told her about the house he was building. She decided to buy it from him and gave it to my fathers cousin. Fast forward to Christmas 1960 when Santa delivered the house to me and my 3 sisters. It was all freshly painted white with a green roof. Many many years were spent playing with that house. In 1990, my sister was the only one with any kind of room for it plus she had the only daughter so she dismantled it, put it into duffle bags and took it to England. It was never really put back together properly so when my niece got too old for it it was dismantled and put in my sisters attic. Anyway, when I asked her if I could take it off her hands...she cried, "OH NO!" "We cleaned out the attic a few months ago and burned it in a bonfire." I'm still devestated.

• 4 weeks later...