Big oops…now what??

Dlcalifornia

When I put the Allison together, I used wood glue. At that point in my life I'd never even heard of a glue gun or glue sticks. But I knew what wood glue was and I knew how to use it. So that's how I put the Allison together. Wood glue, well and some Super Glue in some places. :D I won't use a hot glue gun on the Garfield either, even though the instructions suggest it. My experiences with a hot glue gun have been miserable. We'll stick to what we know. :D

~morning

Dora, one of my early houses was a Harrison. I got it from a friend in trade for another very plain colonial. It had been a store model and was put together with hot glue. I didn't realize that it was falling to pieces until I started to work on it. That was about 30 years ago. I took it apart and started from scratch. It was a lot of work, but I was happy that I did, later. So even back then some of the hot glue was bad. To give you an idea how bad, I got it apart easily by pulling and scraping with an Exacto.

You won't be sorry you did it. Just remember to mark the pieces as you go, so that you will know what goes where! Good luck!

Actually, there is one (and only one) good use for hot glue on a house, and that's for the shingles. That's probably the one spot (the roof) that doesn't get much use, doesn't support anything vital, and doesn't move! I make templates out of brown bags from the grocery store for each of the roof pieces, and then attach the shingles (with hot glue) to each brown bag backing. After any needed trimming, I hot glue the whole section in place.