Removing Glued Trim

Karen99

Hi friends,

I chickened out on priming and painting, wallpapering because of the previously installed trim on this Harrison dollhouse, which I bought used...

Someone local suggested removing the trim and wallpapering. Sounds feasible. 

Can anyone suggest the best way to remove this trim without destroying the walls?

I do own a theoretically entire Harrison kit that I bought on eBay for replacement parts... I think it is basically complete. Someone started painting the parts, and gave up.

I will prime before papering, as @havanaholly @KathieB and others have suggested.

Thank you friends!
Karen

IMG_0562.jpeg

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

Hi Karen!

To remove the window trim, I would try a blow dryer on the highest setting of heat. If the windows weren't attached, I would recommend a heat gun.  You could use craft tools to carefully pry the trim off, once you applied some heat. You could also try saturating wood trim with vinegar. I give you credit for working on this used dollhouse.  I would probably just assemble a brand new kit. I find it so much easier to paint the walls/ceilings before assembly.  I found that working on the first floor was easier to do, before I attached the ceiling/second floor and walls.  I made sure that I didn't cover the floor slots where the walls go.  Please let me know if you are able to get the window trim off without causing damage. 

Edited by LoriLovesMiniatures
  • Like 1

Thanks so much, @LoriLovesMiniatures! Yes...it was a great buy on eBay for $100—on a whim. But now I am hooked. I did have a dollhouse in my 20s...

I would not build one myself. I enjoy the decorating part. The trim and timbers are a challenge to get crisp. I think I will tackle one room at a time, and try to develop a  method. 

Can you recommend a glue to re-attach whatever I remove?

Thanks again!
Karen

• Like 2

Karen,

The house was a great buy on Ebay. Decorating is the most fun part!  I am hooked on decorating my dollhouse too!  I love the Titebond white glue that dries clear. Looking forward to seeing your progress.  Thanks for asking your questions on this forum!  We all love to help!

Screenshot_20231119-122608_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi @LoriLovesMiniatures! I went off the dollhouse for a while due to a bunch of "life" stuff, but I am slowly returning to it. It's a bit of a lifetime project for me. A suggestion was made that suits my "perfectionist" personality. Prime the entire inside! I was worrying about getting each room painted correctly, one at a time, which will be quite a challenge since the dollhouse is assembled and also has a bit of damage from the previous owner.

But if it's all primed...at least it will all be one color and that is more visually acceptable to me than part wood, part finished room. Then, I can paint or paper each room and work on the brown trim in that room. That trim is going to be the challenge.

I am especially thankful for your glue recommendation. I did pry a window seat off, and I was wondering what to use to glue it back on. When I have the courage, I will pry off some trim.

Thanks again! Eventulally I will post pix.
Karen

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Karen99 said:

Hi @LoriLovesMiniatures! I went off the dollhouse for a while due to a bunch of "life" stuff, but I am slowly returning to it. It's a bit of a lifetime project for me. A suggestion was made that suits my "perfectionist" personality. Prime the entire inside! I was worrying about getting each room painted correctly, one at a time, which will be quite a challenge since the dollhouse is assembled and also has a bit of damage from the previous owner.

But if it's all primed...at least it will all be one color and that is more visually acceptable to me than part wood, part finished room. Then, I can paint or paper each room and work on the brown trim in that room. That trim is going to be the challenge.

I am especially thankful for your glue recommendation. I did pry a window seat off, and I was wondering what to use to glue it back on. When I have the courage, I will pry off some trim.

Karen

Karen, I know exactly what you mean how life can pull us away from our dollhouse hobby.  My dollhouse is still a lifetime project for me too. I am a perfectionist as well.  I love the idea of priming the entire inside. Wallpapering around the tower may be very difficult, since the house is assembled.  You could always wallpaper the other walls and paint the tower area.  I would be hesitant to remove trim that is already glued.  If you would want to paint trim a different color, you could buy thin wood trim to fit on top of the window trim that was already glued. You could paint or stain it before you attach to original window trim.  I would go with the thinnest wood trim available, so it doesn't stick out from original trim too much.  You could cut wood trim with the Ultimate Easy Cutter.  That tool can cut at different angles easily. If you decide to glue trim on top of the other window trim, be careful with your windows, that you don't get glue on them. I would glue window trim with E6000 Clear Contact Cement.  I would  apply cement with a bamboo skewer, a very thin line.  If you decide to paint original wood trim already glued, I would try to lay house on its' side if possible and put masking tape at the walls of tower and bay window area to protect from paint/stain and use a 1" skinny foam brush on window trim.  You're welcome for the glue recommendation.  If the window seat is not painted, you can use the Titebond wood glue.  If it is painted, I would use the E6000 Clear Contact Cement.  A little bit of that goes a long way.  You don't need much of it.  I glued my painted windowsill down with a thin line of E6000.  I used a tip nozzle on tube.  You are welcome, Karen.  Looking forward to seeing pictures in the future. I am currently working on painting a conservatory that will be on top of my Harrison's roof!  Enjoy working on your Harrison!

Karen

Hi @LoriLovesMiniatures and @havanaholly!

This group is so great! @LoriLovesMiniatures thank you so much for the detailed instructions and wow, using a bamboo skewer. And thanks so much for the recommendations for gluing painted vs unpainted wood.

I LOVE your idea of a conservatory on the roof! I have a mad scientist's lab in the secret room, (my husband is a scientist), and it looks like someone has been hitting the bottle up there too lol!  Actually, I was repairing that wine decanter and put it there to dry the glue.

I don't think I will wallpaper too many rooms. Most likely the kitchen a bedroom or two and the bathroom. I am going for a 1930s look,

@havanaholly thank you for the recommendation about using cardboard or chipboard. Also, do you have pictures of your plasterwork? Do you think plaster is more manageable than paint?

Thank you both!
Karen

IMG_4123.jpg

• Like 1

The exterior upper walls and all the interior walls of my Glencroft pub are "plaster" (spackle; joint compound works just the same).  Click on the underline, which is a hyperlink to the album, or click on my avatar picture and on my profile page there;s aaa link to all my aalbums and that one is on the first page.

8 hours ago, Karen99 said:

Hi @LoriLovesMiniatures and @havanaholly!

This group is so great! @LoriLovesMiniatures thank you so much for the detailed instructions and wow, using a bamboo skewer. And thanks so much for the recommendations for gluing painted vs unpainted wood.

I LOVE your idea of a conservatory on the roof! I have a mad scientist's lab in the secret room, (my husband is a scientist), and it looks like someone has been hitting the bottle up there too lol!  Actually, I was repairing that wine decanter and put it there to dry the glue.

I don't think I will wallpaper too many rooms. Most likely the kitchen a bedroom or two and the bathroom. I am going for a 1930s look,

@havanaholly thank you for the recommendation about using cardboard or chipboard. Also, do you have pictures of your plasterwork? Do you think plaster is more manageable than paint?

Thank you both!
Karen

IMG_4123.jpg

Karen, You're welcome.  Happy to help! I love your idea of the mad scientist's lab in the secret room!  Maybe you can personalize a doll that looks like your husband and place him in the secret room!  Lol.  Wine decanter, table chart and lab tubes are cool.  The 1930s look sounds very interesting.

• Like 1

Karen, IMO this forum exists so we can help one another and grow the hobby by sharing information.  I made a few of the furniture items from Jane Harrop's book Thirties and Forties Miniatures in 1:12 Scale for my Washington 2.0 farmhouse, mainly the dining table and chairs..

• Like 1

@havanaholly gotcha! I already googled for lower prices and found them! I will look to see if I can identify your furniture.

Thanks for the link to your Glencroft! It's wonderful! I will enjoy looking at your other work on your profile page.

@havanaholly and @LoriLovesMiniatures, my 1930s-1940s inspiration is from the house on the PBS show, All Creatures Great and Small. I love that show, and their house and veterinary office.

All my best to you both. I will post pictures when I make progress.

Thanks again!

Here's a not wonderful photo of the (working) gate-leg dining table and chairs (with bargello  upholstered seats) fomr Jane Harrop's book.  The next time the middle son visits and remembers his camera I'll get a photo of the set  set u[ (also need him to tke photos of my Brimble's):

56d51c1440c68-parlor1.JPG

I didn't make the flowers, but the upholstered armchair and footstool are mine

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @LoriLovesMiniatures and @havanaholly.

@havanaholly Your furniture is off the charts amazing! Thanks for the photo!

I finally got up the nerve to start painting my 1970s Harrison. I started with the outside, to learn to handle the brown and white together.
I can see now why you went for spackle! But I have the paint and an undergraduate degree in Fine Art (long time ago!) so I am trying my hand at the paint first.

Now that I have started, I also understand the suggestion to turn it on its side...

After I get through the outside, which will also require some window box repair, I will start the inside. I am still not sure what I am going to do about those window frames. I want them, to be brown. I would rather not paste anything over them, but if I can't paint them decently, I will try that. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for short square brushes? I have one and it works best. You can see I am trying to clean up his lines... Blue tape has not been much help.

Also any good (not too expensive sources) for flowers for the window boxes? Spring is coming!

Here are a few pix of the previous guy's work that I am trying to clean up/rehab!
Thanks for all!

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4310.jpeg

IMG_4309.jpeg