Scale Ships

hydroped

Hi all,

Sometime back someone was asking about doing a 1:12 scale ship - I forget who and I remember thinking 'oh man that woudl be Huge!!" Well I still haven't seen anything for a 1:12 ship but I did find a photo of a 1/2" scale boat which is pretty cool so I thought I'd share it here. What I've read is that the most popular scale for model ship builders is 1/8 inch equals a foot or 1:96 size but this barge is listed as 1/2" = 1 foot :lol: So I guess some plans do exist for at least the smaller dollhouse scales - unfortunately the book "A Modeler's Guide to Hull Construction" - doesn't have the plans in it just a photo but here it is:

post-86-1159716155_thumb.jpg

Actually if I could work really small - this would be awesome done to go inside a museum roombox or an Egyptian tomb ;)

-David

Yea, this one is 1/2" scale so it would still be pretty big.. I wonder what scale it would have to be to fit into a room box. I've seen pictures of real miniature egyptian barges that were put in phaero's tombs (I think Tut had one in his ) so it would definitely be cool in a room box but I wonder what size it would have to be.. pretty small! .. it would look awesome... but I have to wonder how hard it would be. I bet it's possible.. but really difficult ;) I just remembered someone asking about 1:12 scale ships and this one is 1:24 so thought I'd post a photo of it.

-David

Awe you guys give me too much credit. I'm already burried in projects plus I just got the contract for our local mini show and if I can get the seller's permits in line I've only got till Feb to get my stuff ready Ack! But this is definitely a project I'll do some drooling over and planning for - even if I don't ever get it made. :D

-David

But this is definitely a project I'll do some drooling over and planning for - even if I don't ever get it made. :D

-David

Sometimes the planning is more fun than the execution ... and there's a lot less clean-up involved! :)

Dont go too big how about a 1" scale model of a Chris Craft triple cockpit motorboat of the 1930s It would be perfect woith a fancy dollhouse If you want to go completely nuts how about a cedar strip canoe in 1" scale

Ed

David, I think that Grand Ballroom roombox kit from last year's Creatin' Contest would make a great tomb scene, you could have the funerary ship next to columns on one side and the canopic jars on the other, with the sarcophagus in the middle.