Who makes their own furniture?

Adallae

Hello all!

Now that I have successfully glued my fingers together :) , I've stepped away from siding my farmhouse to pose a question. I have fallen in love with furniture kits, and seeing how simple the pieces are, and I am thinking I might be able to make my own furniture. I've seen some great custom pieces in the gallery - how did some of you learn to make furniture from scratch??? It might be just a lot of trial and error, but if you have any suggestions, tutorials you can direct me to, or books that were helpful, I'd love to hear of it! :D

well there are kits and than there are kits.

there is a big difference in the flat pack kit and the laser cut peices

I have several HOM kits that I find compareable in quality as things I have bought.

but yes some do make their own components to make a peice of furniture. I hope they have some good suggestions for you!

nutti :)

Making one's own furniture is sooo much fun and at times trial and error is just what is needed to achieve the perfect look one is after.

Magazines often have great "how to's" and then there are lots of books that contains good patterns two I have right beside me in the shelf is : "Make your own doll's house furniture" by Maurice Harper, then there is "the new Dolls' house Do-it-yourself-book" by Venus and Maritn Dodge.

I have other books as well with ideas and patterns but those I don't have just beside me right now :)

Hugs

I have made house of miniature kits and really like them. I have also made my own form scraps I found laying around. Tables for spoools and cutouts, beds from dowles, truncks from scaps. Just gather some pieces and see what comes out. ( punch outs from the house kits are a great place to start.)

I've mostly put together the flat pack kits. Their simplicity makes them easy to alter - some mini dowels, scrapbook embellishments, and mini hardware can improve their look greatly.

I purchased one HOM kit from ebay out of curiosity and I love the way it turned out! I hope to start collecting these so I can use them to furnish my Garfield.

I had some trouble with the Chrysonbon kits, but I think it's because I used a plastics glue (like for model cars) instead of the recommended cement :) . Guess I'll follow directions next time!

Magazines often have great "how to's" and then there are lots of books that contains good patterns two I have right beside me in the shelf is : "Make your own doll's house furniture" by Maurice Harper, then there is "the new Dolls' house Do-it-yourself-book" by Venus and Maritn Dodge.

Thanks for the book suggestions! Has anyone tried the Houseworks/Shenandoah design book and/or components? I've seen them at HBS and a few other shops. Also, which magazines do you subscribe to?

Hello all!

Now that I have successfully glued my fingers together :) , I've stepped away from siding my farmhouse to pose a question. I have fallen in love with furniture kits, and seeing how simple the pieces are, and I am thinking I might be able to make my own furniture. I've seen some great custom pieces in the gallery - how did some of you learn to make furniture from scratch??? It might be just a lot of trial and error, but if you have any suggestions, tutorials you can direct me to, or books that were helpful, I'd love to hear of it! :D

I make furniture from kits and my own furniture from scratch. The best kits I have found are Jane Harrop kits and Mini Mundus.

Basically if I want to make something from scratch I get a catalogue, look up the furniture I want to make and scale down the measurements. Then I make a cardboard template of each peice of the furniture parts, draw round it onto the wood I'll be using and that's it! It really is quite simple as long as your wood is to scale in thickness and you have a good range of tools handy.

There is a pic of a futon bed I made from scratch on the link below. All the measurments I took from a catalogue.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...si&img=1602