Dura-Craft Hillsdale: Is it good?

Never heard of this one before.

Quite cute. I have a Duracraft Sweetheart that I love. It is a dream house.

Go for it - of course, I will say that - I'm a kit-a- holic !!!

One caution though, as I tried to search for pictures of it, I got an error message that it was a hacked website so be careful when you are looking this one up folks. Check you virus protection first and check what site you are clicking on.

• Like 2

This one is a good one in that it isn't the same ol' same ol' when it comes to 4 plain square rooms, no stairs. The porch has a round gazebo type corner. The outside is quite deceptive in that you would never know the inside was 2 up 2 down and that's it. Three rooms have one plain window. The living room has a glass door like a single french door with the dividers removed. It can easily be customized.

I have no idea what I'm doing. I have enough builds in progress and the Spring Fling ordered but we'll see.

I believe its mdf and not plywood. Ive always thought it was a cute house. Just b sure none of the mdf is cracked or broken, from what Ive heard its hard if not impossible to repair damaged mdf.

I believe its mdf and not plywood. Ive always thought it was a cute house. Just b sure none of the mdf is cracked or broken, from what Ive heard its hard if not impossible to repair damaged mdf.

Karin THANK YOU! DUH! MDF. I knew this and didn't think a thing about it. I will make sure and check for sure (no more $10 San Francisco's with no parts) because you are right. MDF is not the same as plywood. Thank you, thank you for reminding me. I know 'that's what friends are for'. And, how about 'that's what forum's are for'? :)

• Like 1

Well, I done gone did it again. Brought home another dollhouse I don't have room for. But.....IT'S CUTE! I want to learn to do egg carton stone and brick and I'm thinking this will make an adorable stone cottage. There are only four rooms but they're good size. And Karin, it is MDF and no issues. It's missing the directions but everything else seems to be there.

• Like 1

Morgan,I only found exterior photos,in 2 places.Google Kim's Dollhouse Miniatures Completed Hillsdale,and Fancy Dollhouses Hillsdale. I am so jealous! It is adorable!! Kat

It's going to be so cute-perfect for fairies!!Hey,I know you are planning to use the egg carton stone and brick technique,but I have been playing with another technique.Cutting foam meat/produce trays or foam take-out boxes into flat sheets,I scribe flagstone or bricks into the thin foam with any sharp tool I can find.Lately I've used a nail file,and a tool that has a sharp point like an ice pick.I paint it a base coat of white or grey,then my brick or stone colors,being careful to not thickly fill up the carved lines,then I 'grout' with a household spackle product.Seal with matte modge podge.Cut to fit,or pieced together,they make great patios,walkways and I hope to use it to make a brick veneer wall in my pizza parlor.Just an unsolicited idea. :)

Kat~ Another lil something for you to learn here.......unsolicited advice, when it comes to such serious matters, is considered a WELCOMED GIFT :) Thanks ever so much for the idea. Since I haven't tried either way I am clueless but it would be great if we got different looks from different things we could make into stone. Especially considering the weight of the MDF to begin with the lightweight stone will be great.

I've mentioned this before but I am becoming more and more fascinated with the amazing results of creating with simple everyday throwaway items.

Egg cartons, drink carriers (fast food, paper mache), styrofoam trays (threw three away today from take out)........what else might work for stone? Or anything?

• Like 1

Kat~ Another lil something for you to learn here.......unsolicited advice, when it comes to such serious matters, is considered a WELCOMED GIFT :) Thanks ever so much for the idea. Since I haven't tried either way I am clueless but it would be great if we got different looks from different things we could make into stone. Especially considering the weight of the MDF to begin with the lightweight stone will be great.

I've mentioned this before but I am becoming more and more fascinated with the amazing results of creating with simple everyday throwaway items.

Egg cartons, drink carriers (fast food, paper mache), styrofoam trays (threw three away today from take out)........what else might work for stone? Or anything?

I'm going to try the egg carton "stonework" on the gnome home, and had no egg cartons, so yesterday I stopped at the local Burger King and asked if I could buy some of their drink carriers. They gave me some free!

• Like 1

I will definetly be experimenting with the egg carton stonework,too,Morgan and Gloria.I have thrown those carriers away too many times!! I've also used cork surfaced plant 'coasters'(not sure of exact label for them,they come in various sizes)to make round open patio vignettes.They can be scribed into flagstone shapes very easily,painted,and then I glue on model railroad grass flocking instead of grouting.If I can EVER get my son to help me post pix,that will make sense! And I think I have seen sheet cork cut into bricks and may-be stones,too...? I keep seeing tuts for paperclay,but it's not something I am familar with,or the weight of it. Kat

I have paperclay and use it for my ground for bases but have yet to try anything else with it. I do plan to try it for sculpting but for now, it's the egg carton method I'm wanting to try. I want my 5 year old to be able to help. She is serious about fairies coming to live in this house.

I've read several tutorials on egg carton stone but nothing too specific. This ought to be interesting. I have made a roombox of MDF but never a whole house. I don't like it so much. I enjoy the Greenleaf laser cut the most.

• Like 1

Awww,your little girl is going to have such a great time with the fairy house! Lucky You! Casey's Minis has what is said to be just about the best egg carton stone and brick tutorial online. I love her site! Things are easy to find in the alphabetical list. I don't know MDF from laser cut,etc.,but I am pretty sure I want a Greenleaf Orchid after I do my second Ashley-some year!!lol