The Laser Cut Tennyson

BMiniMama

Welcome Heather!

Most of us recommend priming/sealing the wood pieces. You can use whatever you like: primer, gesso, mod podge, watered down white glue, leftover house paint... whatever you have handy and love. I usually only do the large pieces. For the smaller trim, I just use mulitple coats of paint. The purpose is to seal the wood, which is important especially if you plan to wallpaper. It will prevent the acids in the wood from seeping though and discoloring your paper. It also cuts down on the number of coats of paint you will need. But remember, do not seal the places you plan to stain! You can paint over stain, but you can't stain over paint...

Hope this helps! Have fun, and don't hesitate to ask any other questions! :)

• Like 1

Welcome Heather!

You didn't say whether or not you bought the one inch scale or half inch scale Tennyson. I have both kits and am just finishing up my "big" Tennyson. The laser cut kits are a real pleasure to work with and you'll have minimal sanding, but be sure to dry fit pieces anyway. It's a good habit and will save you a lot of anguish if you always check the fit before starting to glue. Most of us just use masking tape or painters tape to hold things together for this stage.

I took photos of the dry fit stage and you can find it in my gallery for the Tennyson. It's a fun house to build. I found the roof the most challenging part. There are lots of people besides me who've built it's house, so if you search on the main forum page you'll find lots of examples to look at.

After you've made 5 posts you can start your own gallery and show us your progress! Happy building!

• Like 1

Thank you everyone! This helps so much. I am building the one inch scale. I'm super excited and have been gathering everything I need. Well, I think I need :) I started a binder where I am keeping the instructions, ideas, samples and such so I have a reference. I currently follow a few blogs as well. Some of which recommended I use this forum. Glad I took her advice! Thank you again to each or replies above. I will definitely search the galleries and get more ideas before I start.

Heather, when you have a minute do introduce yourself to everyone in the Newcomers' Forum.

I am getting ready to build my first ever kit. I chose the laser cut Tennyson. Do I need to use primer or gesso on the pieces? Or can I just start? Not sure what my first move should be...

Step #1) Read the instructions

Step #2) Arrange the plywood sheets into numerical order, place the clear acetate window/ door inserts in a safe place where they won't get scratched or torn, study the schematics sheet and read the instructions

Step #3) Read the instructions and dry fit the shell of the kit together. At this time you can decide what you need to prime or stain and when.

• Like 1