Fairfield shingles..help

mlhall326

I have gotten to the part on my Fairfield build where it says if I am using the shingles that came with the house, to stop and read the directions in the bag. Well....I do not see any directions in the bag!!! Can anyone help me with this?!

An update..I have gotten all the taping run for the lighting. My husband had to help me out on this one...he has a great mind and was able to find the best way to get all the taping it!

I am super anxious to get the roof going!!

post-21563-0-50084400-1358476404_thumb.j

post-21563-0-42409000-1358476443_thumb.j

post-21563-0-27534200-1358476469_thumb.j

post-21563-0-64056700-1358476494_thumb.j

I think I remember having this problem. Look on the warm up sheet for shingling instructions but if they're not there, the gist of it is to start from the bottom of the roof, do a row, then do the next row approx 1/2 inch up (or more/less depending on what looks good to you), and stagger the shingles so the middle of a shingle in the new row overlaps where two shingles meet in the row below. Basically just like a real house.

Pics of mine: http://emilymorganti.com/dollhouse/fairfield/roof.html

And here are some other houses I've done, maybe the pictures will help give you a point of reference if its not making sense:

http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=4935

http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=485

http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=3759 (on this one I used shingle strips so the process is a little different)

Hope that helps. Your Fairfield's looking great!

• Like 1

I would also make paper templates of the roof pieces, then glue the shingles to that. Makes it easier to do all the crazy angles. You can trim them on the paper template before putting them on the house. But don't trim until after you've fitted to the house! Sometimes the template might be slightly off, or it fits differently with other pieces in place, or the paper shrinks up from the glue...

By the way Emily....I have your website as one of my favorites!!! I have referenced it several times while building my house!! Thank you so much for taking pics to document your work. It really helps. And again, thank you for the tips. I didn't dry fit the roof before decorating. I know....crazy right?! I havn't done it through the whole house and have found I am able to decorate most things. I had to stand on my head a couple of times to get a paint brush just where I needed it!!! I find it more challenging and rewarding that way!!! Plus, I am a visual person through and through. I have decided on theme/decoration after it was together. I think that now that I have this house under my belt, my next house will be easier in that aspect.

• Like 1

True... But it also doesn't crease quite as well when you forget to do the template before you glue the roof together!! :)

Dollar store poster board does, and so does the cardboard dress shirts come folded around.

By the way Emily....I have your website as one of my favorites!!! I have referenced it several times while building my house!!

Aw, thanks! Glad to hear it's helped. :)

It looks like you've already wallpapered some of your rooms. I think you'll be fine decorating with the roof on. The only room I was really worried about was the front entry and I did the wallpaper in there before assembling the house, but the rest of the rooms I did after assembly, it's just easier for me to visualize that way and do a nice job. I used scrapbook paper that held its shape when it was folded and that made it not too difficult to get the paper in. I think the hardest thing was gluing the crown molding and window trim around the windows at the back of the hallway. But it's totally doable. :)

As far as the roof goes, the attic rooms are bigger and more accessible than the downstairs rooms so the fact that the roof is on doesn't really make it harder to decorate those. I think I did make wallpaper templates for the peaked walls before gluing on the roof, but you could also do this using the cut-out that you removed the wall pieces from, or put paper up against the outside of the wall and fold it at the roof line, to get the right shape. (Also, yes, it gets easier with each house. Things that had me terrified in the Fairfield, I now whip right through without giving them a second thought..)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I think I did make wallpaper templates for the peaked walls before gluing on the roof, but you could also do this using the cut-out that you removed the wall pieces from, or put paper up against the outside of the wall and fold it at the roof line, to get the right shape.

I introduced myself a little while ago when I had started the Fairfield and haven't posted since. I probably should have as I ran into some issues, but I figured them out and the house is coming along nicely.

I'm regretting not wallpapering the entryway and the upstairs hallway (I painted them, thinking that they wouldn't be noticeably boring, but looking at them right next to rooms with wallpaper, I hate the plain walls!) and I was trying to figure out how I was going to fix the plain walls after I had already glued the shell together. I still have the sheets that I removed the cutouts from, and I think with careful maneuvering and a measuring tape to verify the height/width, I can fix the boring walls. Thanks for suggesting that! That did not even dawn on me!

I am at the same point as you. And I too rely on Emily's blog. Love your chimney by the way. I will be waiting till after Christmas to tackle the siding and shingles. RL seems

to interrupt any mini fun. I hope you don't mind I will be watching your progress.

Gail :bear:

http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=3759 (on this one I used shingle strips so the process is a little different)

Hope that helps. Your Fairfield's looking great!

Emily, this is what I needed. Last night I started applying the strip shingles to the White Rose and I was clearly using too much glue. They moved all over the place and dried buckled, so this morning I had to pry them all off. I was trying to remember if anyone had dealt with the half scale strips, and then found your post. Thanks! :D