How do you finish your bottom?

jennybee

Bottom of your large dollhouse that is... :D I have Medium Three Story Miniatures Showcase kit that i got with a 40% off coupon on miniatures and its fairly large (32 1/2"W x 33 1/4"H x 10 3/4"D). Because its MDF I was thinking of gluing a heavy duty felt to the bottom so it would slide easier on the table it will reside on. Do any of you do this as well and if so do you use felt or something else? Also what type of glue do you use to attach it to MDF? I have the standard Elmers wood glue, Arlene's tacky, gorilla glue.. Thanks in advance for any siggestions. If you want to see pictures I have them posted on my blog below.

I always use black felt on the bottom of mine - protects the tables they are on and makes them easier to slide, as you said. :) I don't glue mine in place, just set the house on it. That way I can change it out if it ever gets damaged or wet. Double-sided tape might be a good compromise to make it stay put and keep it removable.

I usually just put a sheet between the house and the table it sits on. The Tudor is too large and heavy, so I'm going to install 2" coasters and a turn table. The wheels will keep the turn table off the ground during moves. At shows and home I'll put a plywood panel under the turntable to raise the wheels off the surface.

I didn't go a good job of painting my craft table and scratched it up when I am building a house. I saw this and just added some felts at the bottom of the house. This makes it so easy to move and prevents more scratches. Yeah. Thanks for the great idea!

It never occurred to me to finish the bottom of the house.... I wonder if that's because we don't have nice furniture....but good thing to think of! I also like Holly's "sign and date" at the beginning of the build. Very nice.

I haven't put anything on the bottom of a dollhouse yet, primarily because two large ones that I'm rehabbing aren't finished yet, but in my Craft Cottage I have a large plywood board that is setting on top of two dressers (back to back) with a dh and other stuff on the board. I covered the board all the way around with felt, and it is very easy to slide it around to work on different angles of the house. Someone here on the forum recommended it and it has worked wonderfully - very easy to move and doesn't scratch the dresser tops.

The smaller kits like my street shops, I haven't done anything on the bottoms since they are so light. But because this kit is so much larger and the base is mdf slats on their sides (no solid bottom). It's a rectangle frame with a slat glued in the center I thought the felt would make it easier to move especially once i finish putting the frame-work on and furniture inside. This girl will not be able to lift her alone. lol