Rabbit or Chinchilla or Sugar Glider or Ferret?

New Day

I was wondering if anyone has experience with mainly rabbits and/or chinchillas as pets.

My DD, who is 20, is looking for a pet of her own. She is researching chinchillas and rabbits right now. She also loves sugar gliders and ferrets, but we're not 100% sure they would be best.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on which may be better?

DD is generally a night owl and wants a pet that bonds with and enjoys people. She would be fine to get 2 if they did better in pairs, as well. Luckily for her, cost, time and space are not really factors. She has room for whatever size cage and for them to run around out of the cage for exercise.

We do have small dogs and cats already. The new pet(s) would be in a room to which the dogs do not have access. The cats may be curious to see a new family member I guess, but our cats are tiny (around 6 lbs each) and are very laid back and non aggressive - not that we would ever trust that and leave anyone exposed, but I don't think the new pet would be harassed or anything.

Thanks for any input!

There are benefits and drawbacks to any exotic animal as a pet, suggest she research online and make her choice. I've met people with pet ferrets that fit right into the family, and other folks whose ferrets were NOT tame. I don't know about sugar gliders, but 'possums are most difinitely nocturnal; and rabbits and chinchillas are rodents, so probably as easy a pet as any other rodent.

Great pets! We've had them all. Another we've had experience with and loved is the prairie dog. But......it's the sugar glider my 29 year old son can't stop talking about. He thinks it was the greatest pet ever. My sister can tame anything and makes them all seem like kittens. She has really loved ferrets. My favorites besides my little pomeranians are birds. But I have loved all of the choices except I was never around the sugar glider. My son had that after moving out. He says 'I'd get a sugar glider, she'll love it'. So........here's votes for every one of the choices with an extra big vote for the sugar glider. Perhaps she could even build it a little dollhouse :)

• Like 1

Thanks Holly!

Morgan, we have a Pom, too!

Thanks for the input, sounds like she can't go wrong. :)

She would love the Sugar Glider, we were just worried that maybe they are too exotic and possibly hard to care for. We have been researching on the internet but are finding so many conflicting "facts" that it can be hard to sort out. For example, some say Chinchillas love to be held and others say they hate it, etc. Some say rabbits are very low maintenance and others say high.

I guess like people, it depends on the individual personality. Of the person and the pet!

I've had a rabbit. Loved her. She was a lop ear and acted like a dog. She was very low maintainance. Go to where they sell chinchillas.

I'd talk to them about it. You'd get information first hand or ask them to recommend a good book or website. I knew someone who had a ferret. They were so happy with him. He was so entertaining. I knew someone else with a sugar glider. She was a sweetheart. So any of them I would go with.

The only one I know about is ferrets and all I know is the females absolutely have to be spayed and the males should be neutered because of smell and they may smell anyway. Before getting any of those, you might want to check to make sure they're legal in your state. I know ferrets are illegal to own in California - doesn't stop anyone from owning them though.

My husband had two ferrets when we got married and they were both neutered and spayed but oh boy that smell! Phew! He wanted a sugar glider for quite awhile till he read something about needing to keep them in a large tiled area because they have a huge peeing radius and also he read that they are night animals so if you need absolute quiet at night their noises may be irritating. Again, I don't have first hand experience with them but that was enough to make us think twice.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it! I had heard all the same things. :)

I think she has decided to go with a rabbit - she really hopes to find a sweet lop.

Still taking her time and researching it, though.

Thanks again!

I have had a chipmunk (which I believe is not legal to own anymore, rabbits, chinchillas and ferrets. I currently have a chinchilla and am considering getting another one. Yes some are very tame and others are not. Just depends onhow they are raised. I also used to have a bunny farm. Rabbits are wonderful pets. U can litter box train them but one thing they are hard to break of is their penchant for chewing wires!! My ferrets were fixed but if we didnt bathe them daily they stunk!! But on the good side they made wonderful amusing pets - so much fun to watch. Not much help am I...