Canterbury Scale

lauker

Well I've looked through the forum archives on this house and I noted that some folks said the scale is not quite 1:12. Would you consider this house 3/4" scale or is it a little too big for that? I still have mine in the box (including the furniture it comes with) but I am getting the itch to put it together and decorate it. I can't decide if I want it to be a tearoom, a country library, antique store or something else...hmmm.

I haven't built the Canterbury, but the Sugarplum is also on the small side, most definitely not 1:18 (3/4" scale), just small 1:12. The furniture that is part of the kit will fit fine, the Corona Concepts items will be too big.

Thanks, Holly. That's what I suspected from the gallery pics I've been looking through. I do have some slightly smaller 1:12 scale pieces that might work. I am looking forward to taking this out of the box. :)

I'm scratch building most of my Canterbury furniture in about 3/4 scale and not using the kit furniture at all. I also dropped the ceiling so I have more room upstairs. I just found it too small to do much with (both room sizes and upstairs room height).

• 5 weeks later...

I used to think the Canterbury was more like half scale, that was until I actually built a half scale and now I cant believe I thought that...The only thing that makes it smaller than the usual 1:12 smallish cottages, is that top floor. There is NO stand up room. Ive built two of them and I think if I did another I would just try to leave off the second floor. I love the kit, but theres probably a reason its discontinued and not coming back (sadly). Id love to see the design improved just a little (top floor) and brought back into production. (Because I need more than two of them, right?lol) Its such a cute cottage.

The Sugarplum, Buttercup, Coventry Cottage and Storybook Cottage are also a bit sparse on the second floor and if I'd known when I was building them what I've learned since I'd cut the second floor walls off just above the slots and add about 4" of wood above the slots and put the rest of the wall on top.

• 9 years later...
2 hours ago, MrsPeachy said:

...How would you attach the extra 4 inches? I have a Canterbury I'm about to embark upon!

Lay the lower wall flat on a sheet of waxed paper after running a bead of a good carpenter's wood glue along the cut edge, butt one side of the 4" addition to the glue edge and tape it tightly; when it's totally dry, do the same with the remaining wall.  Remove the tape from the dried sections and reinforce with strip wood glued along the seams, either as exterior decoration or as interior chair rail/ wainscot.

• Thanks 1