What comes first?

feuz86

Ok so this isn't my first dollhouse, but it is my first dollhouse where I am adding siding. (my first house had it already milled on the front).... Now I bought all the siding that I need but I don't really know now what to do first. Do I build the whole house first, then add siding, and then paint? or do I add the siding first to the walls, paint, and then build the house? or is it just all personal preference? and either way, do I put the siding on before I put in the windows? Does this make any sense? What did you all do? Siding first and then build? or build and then siding? sorry for all the questions. I am a very visual person.... I wish there were pictures to go along with every step from starting all the way through decorating. Any help would be super useful! Thanks!

Ok so this isn't my first dollhouse, but it is my first dollhouse where I am adding siding. (my first house had it already milled on the front).... Now I bought all the siding that I need but I don't really know now what to do first. Do I build the whole house first, then add siding, and then paint? or do I add the siding first to the walls, paint, and then build the house? or is it just all personal preference? and either way, do I put the siding on before I put in the windows? Does this make any sense? What did you all do? Siding first and then build? or build and then siding? sorry for all the questions. I am a very visual person.... I wish there were pictures to go along with every step from starting all the way through decorating. Any help would be super useful! Thanks!

I think siding goes on after the house is constructed, but before the outside window frames. You'll be cutting and fitting the ends of the siding, so you may not want to paint it first.

The first house I added siding was the Westville and I added corner trim and windows after the siding. With the Westville this was a terrible mistake, as the porch and trims fit when the siding is butted up to the corner, window and door trims. So now I lay the exterior window and door trims around their respective openings and trace around them and butt the siding to the trims. One time I did roof treatments before installing the roof pieces, which had fit perfectly in dry fit and would not in any way fit after doing the roof treatments; so whatever exterior treatments I'm going to do anywhere, I do them after the shell is built (BUT before the porch goes up). I wait until the siding's on to paint it; it might curl, but it flattens again as it dries.

What type of siding are you using - the individual strips, or the siding sheets from Houseworks?

I use the sheets, and I prefer to side after the house is assembled, but sometimes it's easier to cut certain pieces before assembly because they're harder to trace once the house is put together. There's really no right way though, do it however it makes sense to you.