What do you do when you fall out of love?

Skittiescat

Hi,

I have an odd problem. I just finished my first official house, the Glencroft. From beginning to end I was head over heels in love with this house. I had visions of what it would be like, and how much joy it would bring for years to come. Now it's decorated, and done in and out, exactly like I dreamed of.

But I just don't love it anymore. All I can think of is how much I would love to have a Beacon Hill, and all of the mistakes I made and the things I would do differently next time. Have any of you ever built a house you end up not crazy about? What do you do? I couldn't bear to just throw it away.

:D

-Krista

I would sell it!

I have found that my favorite part of building a house is watching it come to life.

once I have reached a certain point I am finished with it.

of course my Glencroft is one of my favorite houses. but if I found one that I liked better I would sell mine to make room. but just because it is finished and you arent "in" love with it doesnt mean you cant keep it around for your viewing pleasure. it is quite an accomplishment you have acheived with this house.

I think after its all done most feel a let down....relief its done and lost because its done.

dont rush into anything you may regret later.

nutti :D

Yeah, I think this was your one first love (or was it puppy love)? You found something better, has more appeal to you so now youwant to "dump" the old and get with the new :lol: :D

That's ALWAYS my problem (when it comes to dollhouses) I am a builder and once I finish building I am "finished" and ready to move on to the next thing. Maybe you are a builder and not really a collector. I collect dolls but dollhouses I think I am in the "builder" category :D

Krista -

The Glencroft is a house I would like very much to build. It's one of my favourites.

I'm enjoying my first build right now ... the Orchid. Ray and I have learned a lot as we've built this together. I'm already looking forward to my next build.

I don't think I'm the kind that will ever fall out of love with any of my houses. I love decorating, furnishing, landscaping and then filling the houses with characters and pets.

Too bad the builders and the decorators didn't live closer to one another ... it'd be a match made in heaven.

Did you put photos of the Glencroft in the Gallery? I didn't see them.

-Susanne

Nutti, how do you sell your houses? On ebay?

:D :lol: ROFLMBO :lol: :)

I actually have never sold a house!

those I have built and not kept have found their way to friends with little girls.

it is my dream for someone to want one of my houses enough to pay actual money for it...but alas that has not happened for me yet.

I did try to sell my coventry on e-bay....it did not sell the first time....I wanted to relist it but when my gran came to live with me she fell in love with it and now it resides in her room.

but if I had one I wanted to sell I would try e-bay or another thought was to make a poster of it and put up in our local stores and see if it would sell that way.

good luck with whichever you choose to do

I also am a builder. I do have furniture and other goodies for "my" dollhouses but as yet I have not finished one but the glencroft for myself.

and the Mckinley(Christmas) and the Haunted house.

nutti :D

Ah ha! Giving it to some little girls is a great idea. I'd just need to "cute" it up a bit first. It's a little dark for children.

It is too bad that decorators and builders don't live closer! That would be a fun solution.

I don't have pictures up. I've been thinking about it but keep waffling because I'm a little embarassed about my skill level. I'll sort through and put some up tonight.

On the plus side, I can start my new Fairfield kit without guilt now! I've been dreaming in half-inch scale lately! :D

I have seen that some DH stores look for houses to sell on consignment in their stores. You might try looking in to a store that is "near" you (within reasonable driving distance)

Just to give you a few examples: one example of Dollhouse on consignment or This one is only a few hours away from me... MOTTS is/was also asking for consignments at one time not too long ago.

Good luck!!

What to do when you fall out of love? You renovate and redecorate!! That's what I'm doing with my Beacon Hill. At first it was going to be the conservatory addition, but it's now a full blown remodel (AGAIN!!). Miss Pennethorne is NOT amused! She'll be happy in the end though and so will I!!

Why not just put your Glencroft on a shelf for now and admire it and all the lessons you learned from it? I could never part with my "first" baby!! :D

Krista, I have sold three dollhouses either through ebay (at Christmas) or through my sister who works at a grammer school. The shop I work at accepts consignment so that is where I will be selling the Marquam Hill. The reason I sell them is to make room for the next house to build and also I have not found the "keeper" yet. I am still looking for the one to hold on to.

Ya know, when I first saw the subject line, my first thought was that you were talking about a man, not a house. <cackle> I was all set to type, "Boot him to the curb" when I realized you were talking about your Glencroft. We *never* boot them to the curb!! (unless Teresa is around and then they just show up there by magic)

I'm like Tracy when it comes to building. As soon as a house is done and photographed, I want it out of the studio as quick as possible. When I'm done, I'm done. :D That's a good thing coz it means I'm ready to start building a new one.

My Pierce is my baby and I feel about it the way Teresa does about her BH. I'm pretty fond of the samurai house too because it was also built just for me. I've got a Glencroft waiting for me to build it and it's also going to be mine. But the rest of the houses I've built don't have that special bond for me. I like them all, but they were built for the joy of building them, so I can let them go. I think the difference is that sometimes when we build, we put a little bit of our hearts into them and it makes a bond between the house and the creator. Other houses are built with joy and happiness but intended to brighten someone else's life. I'm sure there is someone out there who will find your Glencroft to be the house of their dreams. And you'll find one that will have that special bond with your heart too Krista. Sounds like it might just be the Fairfield. :D

Deb

O Krista, so sorry your love's on the rocks. :D It's a lovely house and you did a grand job -- don't beat yourself up (or the house) for stuff you would have done differently. If you really don't want to look at it anymore, give it away or sell it. The next owner won't know that you're not satisfied. Move on to the next house (and the next, and the next :D )

Krista got me thinking about a man too...ROFL Then I was going to ask you when your garbage pick up day was.

I thru away a dh...(dont yell) It was my first attempt..BGL..(before greenleaf) It was a yard sale find for $20 and it was huge. I dont remember which one I figured out it was, I think it was a Garfield. Anyway, It was a mess and I was way over my head. I couldnt figure out how to fix it and it went out on bulk trash pick up day. I could kick myself now because after bashing the MHM and putting her back together, I realized I could have fixed her. Lots of regrets with that one.

I would shelve it too and then wait to see how you feel later. Maybe some lil one will come along and you will make THEM happy.

Thanks Charlene..Now I have Neil Diamond in my head.. :DLove on the rocks, aint no big surprise, pour me a drink, and I`ll tell you some lies........

ts seems I am neither a builder or collector...I'm a decorater.... rolleyes.gif unsure.gif

Being a Decorator is a Wonderful Talent!! It's great that there are so many aspects of this hobby that keep us all interested and motivated.