I screwed up!

Hi all,

I have really done a doozy this time. When I started opening up the kit for The Orchid I labeled/numbered everything on the back with pencil as I went along with the instructions. Then I got annoyed with the (VERY POOR) instruction manual and started to just work from pictures and using the many blogs and team builds that others had suggested to me. At some point my husband really started to help out and as he would pop things out of sheets, extra parts would fall away from the sheets as well and unbeknownst to me, he was just kind of tossing them back in the box! So now we're trying to put together the pieces for the front porch/front stairs and we cannot find the parts anywhere!! I am usually pretty good with improvising, but my husband is a very 'by the book' type of guy..and he's freaking out. 2 days later, he's got ME freaking out. He basically keeps throwing his hands up and saying 'we cant do anything until we find those pieces." and to me that really means, he'd rather be playing his video game then helping me, so i'm crap out of luck.

Should I just use foam board or something to build the steps portion that seems to be missing?? I really dont what to go through all the work only for it to look terrible :(

Has anyone else had a similar situation and what was your solution??

Any advise would be really helpful here.

Thanking you in advance.

xoxo

Aimee

If you contact Greenleaf and let them know the parts you are missing they are great about sending replacement sheets. I'm not postive of the cost but when I asked last time it was really cheap. Good luck, I hope you find them or can get replacements.

Hi Kabrina,

I hadn't thought of that... good idea, but the thing is, the parts aren't "missing" as in, never put in the box, they were once there and were somehow tossed or lost. I just might have to improvise.

But thank you!

That's okay, you can still order replacements. You might have to pay a few dollars for them, though.

The porch isn't very complicated. I'm sure you could figure out how to make one out of scrap wood. Here are pictures of mine during the building stage, maybe they'll give you an idea of what pieces you need to recreate. (Note that I replaced the posts and railing/spindles with Houseworks parts.)

If you still have the sheet(s) that the parts were punched out from, you can trace the holes to create new pieces. Foamcore or cardboard might work fine, but I'd suggest using wood if possible so the finish matches the rest of your house. If you have a hobby or model store nearby you could look there for plywood sheets.

It might take some time, but you could use the pages of the directions that show the different sheets of wood. Then you could work it like a puzzle to find the particular shape in your box of pieces and match it to the page. Try not to be overwhelmed, just work at it methodically (whatever your method), and hopefully all the pieces will be identified. Of course, if you're like me, look for one particular piece - and you won't find that one, you find one you aren't looking for.

...i was think'n the same thing Amy..

Aimee when yu throw all the parts together it can get very confusing...

Porch (bottom) parts:

Sheet #1: floor

Sheet #5: stair thread, (front) base, (front) riser,

(2) side bases [tabs fit front wall), (2) side risers (front)

some of these parts are very small & might look like somethin yu might toss out, but they ain't...lol

In the download section is an updated version of the Orchid instr/sch redone by Ben Anderson...not sure if its newer than what you have?

also you could make the porch as fov said...hollow or just to pieces of 1/2" or so wood...

I like the suggestion to take the schematics sheet in one hand and go through all the pieces in the box and match them up. Didn't you say you had written down all their names on the backs in pencil?

Hi everyone, thanks for the many great suggestions. I'm going to give it a rest because it's making me nuts.. but Holly to answer your question, I did number things with pencil as I removed them from the sheets (as i was following instructions, step by step) but I hadnt gotten to those parts yet and my hubby was just blowing through things to get it done and over with...so it turned into a mess :( Ah well, thanks again everyone. I am baffled that no one seems to have had something similar to this happen to them.. I'm sure there are a few of us out there, just not around today perhaps. But anyway, great ideas and suggestions, I'm sure I will figure something out.

Thank you!!:flowers:

If it's any help, I don't mark pieces, I try to leave them in the sheets until needed, and sometimes the little ones have just fallen out into the box. Believe me, between checking the schematics sheet and tracing the parts from the empty plywood sheet, I have done most of what's suggested!