Help! Buying a new Dremel

stefanib123

I've decided to invest in a new Dremel. I currently have a crappy little knock off one that partially works, LOL. But, I've liked the results from it enough to know that I need one that actually works.

So, I was looking at Walmart and Lowes and there were so many options, I left without one.

FIrst question: Cordless or corded? I couldn't compare them by numbers because one is volts and one is amps, and I must have been asleep that day we learned all that in class.

Second question: Buy one that already has a bunch of attachments with it, or buy a basic one and buy my attachments as I need them?

Third question: Is Dremel the only quality brand thats affordable?

Fourth question: what bits/attachments are most commonly used in dollhouses?The one I currently have, I can't even find a name on it, but its pretty crappy. It's even falling apart! LOL!

ETA: I found the one I have on ebay, Its $20 on there, but I only gave a few dollars for it. It looks nice on there, but its not at all. Very cheap made, and crappy.

Dremel knock off

I'm hoping someone will answer 'cause I have one that needs either repaired or replaced! The other issue is that I am rather "power tool impaired": not only am I a somewhat afraid of them, but I have NO freakin' clue what to do with the bits that came with it! :blink: I've probably been using the bits for things they were never meant to do! :giggle:

I have four Dremels, two cordless, one 400 and the Dremel Stylist. The first cordless 4.8 volt Dremel turned out to be too under powered and I wound up getting the Lithium Ion Cordless 10.8 v0lt (5000 t0 35000RPM) model 800. I use this one all the time. I also got an extra battery that I can switch out while the other charges. Nothing more frustrating then running out of juice in the middle of a project!

The corded 400 is also excellent and came with a number of useful attachments including the flex shaft extension that allows you to attach the different accessories. I use this pretty much fixed in a Dremel work station for a drill press. There are also a variety of bits, sanding bands,a multi saw, planer and other assorted pieces. I do not use this one very often because I have arthritis in my hsnds and I find the 800 cordless much easier to handle. I just got the stylus and have not had a chance to try it. Several others have it and can give you more input. I am also looking at the trio but the attachments from the others do not fit and will require specially developed ones for use with it.

Regardless of your choice, make sure you have a basic set of bits, cutting and sanding wheels or drums. If you decide on the cordless, make sure it has a variable speed and sufficient power to tackle the various uses you intend.If you go for a cordless, definitely get an extra battery.

There are a number of other brands but I stuck with the Dremels. I do understand some of the Dremel accessories will fit them.

Hope this is helpful.

I have a Black & Decker one that I got at Walmart...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Decker-3-Speed-RTX-Rotary-Tool-Model-RTX-B/9714694

I chose it because it was the best price...(for me at the time)... :) I bought the basic dremel and was buying additional bits, (the disks kept breaking)... then dh bought this...

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=202016454&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=202016454&ci_src=14110944&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D25X-_-202016454&locStoreNum=4501

It's corded, but I will never have a need for an uncorded one and I hate changing/charging batteries...

I bought a dremel with a bunch of attachments. I am also a "power tool impaired" and even though I THOUGHT I was ordering the machine with the attachments that I really wanted, I somehow did not (I thought I was getting a mini router with it...). My next issue has been figuring out how to use it. Things were going okay, but then I did not use it for a couple of months & now - don't know why - the bits are not attaching, so I bought new collets to see if that would work but haven't had time to see if that is the problem (why must RL get in the way of this hobby????) . I really need a lesson (or several) to figure it out, and then lots of practice.

When I saw the references to dentistry above: It actually says in the instruction booklet NOT to use this machine for dentistry!

I have a corded Dremel. It is powerful and I never need to have extra batteries, chargers. Make sure you get a flexi-shaft -- this lets you "go anyplace" with the drilling end of the unit.

B)

Amy- that's the problem with mine right now: the bits aren't attaching! :angry: grrrr... Plus, I got replacement sanding drums that are SUPPOSED to be the correct ones but they are too big!! :doh: :angry:

I got the Dremel 4000. I also got the stand that I can put the dremel into and use it as a router . I also got an accessories kit and bought the saw attatchment. Oh that comes in so handy!! I also got the dremel trio which is also awesome. There are so many things you can do with the dremel. You will love having it once you get it.

I have an older (and I do mean OLDER) dremel so my 4000 is so much nicer to have. I got it when it first came out

Oh yea the flexi shaft is a must

I bought a Dremel 200 in an emergency rush to walmart to cut through a metal clamp holding in a piece of my car that REALLY needed to come out! Had I taken the time to mull it over and compare, I would have chosen the black & decker model. As far as voltage goes, the higher the better. The amps are directly related to the voltage, so a large amp rating means the voltage is also high (unless the resistance is greater, but that's a whole other ballgame that shouldn't really come into play too much between models). I just completed 1 year of college physics (eeew) and the electronics were the coolest part... If you get one with high voltage just get it with variable speed. You'll need a way to tone the power down if needed, otherwise it'll be like taking a Ferrari for a Sunday drive... ya know? :ohyeah:

There are two sizes of sanding drums for the Dremel. The only noncorded Dremel I have is the Stylus, and it sits in its own recharging base, which stays plugged in. I have one regular Dremel I mount in my router table or other still-mounts and another that rests in the drill press but whips out at a moment's notice to get the flex-shaft attached to it.