Has anyone tried these? Making your clay.....

stefanib123

I've been checking these out:

http://members.tripo...ay_Recipes.html

and thinking of trying some. Has anyone done any of these, or have any pictures of things made with them?

I love making my own things, so I think I'm going to try the "Bakers Clay #1" and the "Kold Porcelain Clay #1". It says "keep in an airtight bag", I wonder how long it would keep for?

KOLD PORCELAIN CLAY #1

Marketed comercially under the name Cold Porcelain®

Ingredients:

3/4 cup of white glue

1 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup of water

1 tsp. of cold cream

1 tsp. of glycerin

Note from miniaturist;

"I use this clay all of the time. I have some the commercial stuff "Cold Porcelain®"and I've made it too. You can get really thin with it and it really does air dry like porcelain. It shrinks a bit so you have to account for that. I make flowers, tiny fairies, rocks, almost anything small with it. It usually goes on eggs. If you go larger, you pretty much need a frame of some type (for support)."

Method:

Mix wet ingredients until smooth over medium heat.

Cook for a few minutes and add cornstarch.

Stir continually until it forms a ball, remove from pan and mix thoroughly with hands do not refrigerate.

Keep in an airtight bag.

Use as you would any modeling paste, can be molded and used in many ways...use chalk powder to colour, or paint with any paint when dry.

Use cold cream to moisten mold and/or when you are working with it, if it becomes sticky.

Or ..dust with cornstarch...adjust ingredients for more or less.

Link to homemade clays, etc.

I used Baker's Clay 1 to make molds for a classroom project. A lot of the kids requested the recipe. I wasn't tossed out of the classroom, so I guess the moms weren't too unhappy with it. I remember it being fairly stiff to work with, but easier than the then-popular white bread and glue stuff.

I once made my DM a breadbasket using the Baker's Clay 1 recipe, washed it with water color to resemble browned bread and sealed it with regular varnish, and it lasted her for at least 15 years.

Stephanie, the only help I can give is in regards to the cold porcelain, that's not the exact recipe I used -- but the cold cream they list is not to be mixed in with the other ingredients. It's to be used on your hands and you can spread some on your work surface while kneading the clay, it helps so that it doesn't dry out while you are working it.

i made that last year but found it almost impossible to work with, too sticky.

followed the recipe, then put cold cream on my hands.

that did not work.

then i made it allover again, using more cornstarch.

my kitchen was a mess and could only form kind of a ball.

i threw the lot away.

no selfmade porcelain clay for me anymore.

In 2009 I had the chance to work with it for the first time making flowers. I took a class that year. You can see what I made and the recipe we used by clicking here http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20538&st=0&p=353698&hl=+cold%20+porcelain%20+&fromsearch=1&#entry353698 it was easy to make and it wasn't messy. I used the microwave method :) it's great stuff to use for many projects. I can't wait to see what you make.

I use baker's clay #1 with my students. It can be made into a lot of things, but it isn't a fine clay; it has a slightly rough surface. What I use it for personally: I use my Christmas cookie cutters, cut out the shapes, put holes for ribbons in the top, paint when dry, and make really pretty ornaments out of them.[

attachment=31032:IMG_1912.jpg]

These are my actual cookies, but I make ornaments out of these cutters and paint them the way I frost them for gifts to my friends when I pass out cookies at the holidays.