HEEELLLPPPP!!!!!!!

Rivalingparis

Do you have pictures? It would help us help you. Also take a break then go back to it and re-read the instructions and schematics.

I only say this because all three times I have built the Mckinley kit, I have messed up on the porch and I did the SAME thing wrong (They way I interpreted the instructions were wrong big time :lol: ).

Yeap, I did it wrong on 3 different kits and each time I did not realize it till the glue was dried or almost dry :o

The tower is terrible! The peices don't fit together like they should. I ended up using a hot glue gun to get them to hold and even then it took a lot of glue and I had to hold them together forever it seemed. You just have to bend and fight with them until it gets close to the top and hope for the best. I'm hoping the shingles will cover the goof, but if not, oh well lol. Here is a couple of pics of mine.....(hope they show up anyway lol)

post-700-1154840274_thumb.jpgpost-700-1154840330_thumb.jpg

Try wetting them down and then bind them together and see if that will help them to "form" to one another's shape just a bit better. You can also try rearranging them over and over till you find the combination that fits just a bit better. Sometimes the pieces look the same, but there's just enough variation on the die cut for them to only fit together one way. However, if the shuffling game doesn't produce a better fit, I'd try wetting them down so they're a little more flexible and bungee-ing them together to dry. You might have to repeat that a few times before they adapt their form just a little bit. You might end up with a bit of a mansard curve to the tower pieces, which could be an interesting feature. :o

Depending on how much of a gap there is, you can try Nutti's way-cool idea of using dowels on the gaps. Check out her McKinley blog and how she did her tower. (I think it's one of the coolest tricks of the trade)

Deb

How frustrating. :o Hope you checked Nutti's McKinley. If all else fails -- shuffling, wetting, etc. -- you could always use skewers for support on the inside, to sort of force the fit, and then cover the entire thing with copper sheeting.

You might also try using painter's caulk to fill in the gaps. It goes on more smoothly than wood filler for small gaps and can be smoothed even more with a wet fingertip. No sanding afterward, and paint takes to it quite nicely. I'm a great fan of painter's caulk for around the edges of door moldings, filling the tiny openings where a wall doesn't quite meet a wall, etc.

You could also try shallow scoring at 1" - 1 1/2" intervals on the wrong side, once the roof's together you can fill the scores with spackle.

Excellent idea -- shall have to remember that when I start mine! :o

Scoring refers to making a shalllow cut along a line you wish to bend, fold or curve in a thick, otherwise rigid material.

When I built my Glencroft I had to score the part of the roof that curves over the front door, so I cut not quite through the first layer of plywood and applied even pressure all over the length of that part of the roof to get it to curve.

Sounds like something may either be wrong with your pieces if they will not fit. the suggestion to lightly score(cut) the pieces so they can bend is a good one. Another alternative is if you're completely dissatisfied with the fit, take the measurements and use stripwood and birch wood to recut your pieces. I would look at the directions carefully, and see if your original pieces can possibly be made to fit before doing this, this is only an alternative that I suggest.