new houses, bases and grass.

Color Me Holly

Today, Alysia and I went to the hobby store(mostly trains and rc vehicles) we have here to buy a roll of grass. They had a Bayberry and Madison. I put both of them on a credit card. After looking at dollproperties I know I got the bayberry for pocket change. I don't even know if I should open the box; it might depreciate somehow. <_<

Alysia and I were also wondering what is the best base. I have a piece of 1/4" plywood that would probably work well. But we aren't too sure about what to do about the edges of the plywood. My thoughts were to use 1/4" stained strip wood. What do you use for a base and how do you attach the house to it?

What is the best material to use under the grass to create the little hills used in landscaping? I'm sorry I can't remember what they are called. Thank you.

I covered the edges of the plywood with the "grass" on the first one. You can also smooth spackle on the edges and sand or texture it and paint it. I think the stained strip wood wold look very nice. Some people "frame" theirs using molding strips.

I have yet to fasten a house to its base, the weight of the house holds it on the base just fine so far <_<

If I were going to have a "rolling" terrain (why?) I would used wadded newspaper and then paper mache and sprinkle the loose "grass" onto that.

If you bought them at a train store, they are the greatest places for finding landscape materials. What about rolled up newspaper like Holly mentioned, and draped with plaster cloth? You can use basically anything from foam insulation to rolled up newspapers, wire, to create your rolling hills. Most of all you wish it to be lightweight on your base.

There was a great tutorial on how to make standing grasses in the July issue of American Miniaturist by Jo Bevilaqua? I dont' know if I spelled her name right, of Spencer's Nook. She is a phenomenal landscape artist (met her at a show last year ) and it's really simple how she makes grasses and clematis vines. If sandy dunes are what you're going for, sand is pretty inexpensive at the dollar & craft stores. I would seal your work or base with a craft spray of some sort after the landscaping dries.

I use different things for my bases, wood, in different thicknesses. Anything from 1/4 to 3/8 depending on the structure.

I've covered the edges with grass; sanded & painted; my favorite cover-up is using full-size mouldings -- there are some wonderful ones with carvings if you want an elegant look. My personal houses aren't attached to the bases (I like to move things around) and they do stay quite nicely put. For the base on the thatched cottage (which I gave to mom) I attached the house to the base with wood glue.

Foam would be my choice for gently sloped terrain -- the firm stuff that you can carve & trim -- but I like Holly's idea of papier mache for rolling terrain.

I am currently working on my "plywood base" My husband routed the edge which came out ok. Not perfect because it is plywood and layered wood, but looks okay. I plan on maybe staining it or just putting the grass over it if it doesn't look that great. Anyway by routing it, it made it curved and not so square. I don't know if that makes sense???

Alysia's house will be entered in both the county and state fair. State fair rules say that model kits must on a base. Our county fair must not get many entries because the 4-H secretary didn't know. She recommended we attach it to a base.

I don't have a router or know anyone that does. But I think a finished edge like that would look really good. Maybe I could bevel the edge with my dremel.

The hobby store had a lot of molds for creating rocks and other stuff. I spent most of my time there talking to the owner about special orders. They used to carry alot of mini stuff(1:12). They can get me things I need. They had styrofom blocks. I may need to make another trip. I have a few bags of sculptamold. I don't know what ALysia has planned, but I am sure it will look good. She said a lump with a tree. <_<

Thank you all for the replies. We will get 'r done.

as a landscaping newbie I was wondering if yall would take photos as you go?

I am very interrested in landscaping the Orchid that I am building for my grandmother.

and as Alysia is such an imaginative miniaturist what better person to learn from.

thanks!

nutti <_<

I have used wood bases, cardboard bases, builders foam bases and foamcore bases. I think you should use what you feel comfortable with at the time and see where it leads you.

I still use cardbord ones for my girls house.