Are you an artist or crafty?

Sherry

I consider what I do (whether it be dollhouses, needlepoint, scrapbooking, etc.) to be crafts - I use great care and craftsmanship in putting together my projects. I think miniaturists are craftsmen (or craftswomen! :giggle: if you prefer) and artists are expressing a message - whether it be a thought, idea, feeling, whatever - art employs craftsmanship to help communicate.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see myself as a craftsperson (if we must be politically "correct") and sometimes people kindly think to call some of my workmanship "art". I also have moments of great craftiness; after all, age, craft & guile will win out over youth and strength every time!

Very interesting topic and plenty to think about.

Calling someone crafty in the UK would indeed be insulting as you would be implying they were quick to take advantage of a situation. I've never thought of myself as an artist but I can see from some of the points raised that indeed I could be called one. I get a creative idea in my head and then I'm driven to try and execute it. My craft skills are actually quite limited I can't knit or crochet, draw, paint, sculpt etc but I do get a vision in my head for how an item should look when I see it and set about translating into my vision. Not sure if that then makes me an artist??? Yours, confused.

I think that I am a little bit of both. And, in a way, I think we all are! Take the recent HBS contest: you are presented with a bare kit. The artist in you imagines what it is meant to be. It thinks of colors and schen=mes and details and arrangement, as well as its eventual presentation. The artist thinks about how to use space and color and light as well as many other things -- and a lot of that may suliminal, or subconscious. Once the decisions are made, then (I believe) the craftperson takes over and decides "how big, how do I make it, what do I need to buy/make to bring forth my vision. Then both the artist in you and the craftsperson start to work together to make that vision a reality. Hope this strikes a chord with you all in some way! (In case I can't figure out how to edit this first (I'm new here) the strange looking nonsense word above was meant to be "Schemes."

I am a crafty person who creates what I call art. I have seen art in the museum that I personally don't consider art, but art is the interpretation of the person who creates it. I also believe that the creation of art is a craft. If someone creates something and calls it art, then it is art, and in creating it they have been crafty.