Question about painting

louanne

I am new at this sight, I have the Fairfield that I've just begun working on. My question is what type of paint do most people use? I have tons of the standard acrylic paint that you can buy at any craft store for about a dollar, but the directions say to use a semi-gloss latex paint (is slighlty more exspensive, and unless you get it mixed it's harder to get the color you want, also end up with a ton of it) Is the standard acrlylic paint good enough, I don't want the finish to look dull.

All I use is the craft paints and they do not come out dull for me. If you are not sure try it on a scap piece. You can always poly over the top of paint if you want it really shiny. ( I would try that on scap first to make sure you like it)

You can invest in a quart of semi-gloss white interior latex paint and mix it with minute amounts of your acrylic craft paints to get custom colors. I think I read the original idea for this from Darrell, and it works a dream!

Hi Louanne,

I just use craft paint. But I also don't like a real shiney finish. My colors have not turned out dull looking to me but too much glossy finish really bothers me. I'd say try what ever you're thinking of on a scrap piece and go with what you like ^_^

-David :o

I also use the craft paint from wal-mart....but I like softer versions so I buy cheepo inerior paint or use leftover from a household project and mix my own....make sure to mix plenty! and dont throw it away untill there is no way you will need to make a touch up! ask me why I know this? ^_^

I also mix pool filter sand in the paint for a stuccoed look for ceilings and roofs

and remember you can always paint over it if you dont like it!

nutti :o

I've used both and liked the results each time. I prefer using semi gloss latex just because they cover better, but the craft paints work very well for smaller areas. For a small house like the Fairfield, I think the craft paints would be just perfect.

I can't wait to see your Fairfield. It's such a sweet house. What color scheme do you have in mind for it?

Deb

I use the craft paints. I also have a binder for my houses and I write down the name of the paint I have used for what for future reference.

I have one house that I didnt poly, and it doesnt look dull, and the Marquam I will poly and I have done some of it and it is nice and shiny.

I mainly use Anita`s All purpose Acrylic.

Thanks for all the help with the painting question.

I will be doing the Fairfield in yellow, with some white trim and some green trim. It is based on the colors of a house I pass by all the time, so I have a good model.

I sure I'll be back with more questions!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Louanne! I am new at this too and am in the process of building The Orchid...I've been using Benjamin Moore color samples on my house....The array of colors is fantastic and there is more than enough in each little jar to cover a dollhouse...plus, cleanup is super easy...just wash your brushes with water!

I did it once, Marie, for my Cambridge. I had to use a brush to tidy up the spots where (for whatever reason) the paint ran, and it took three coats because I was new to all this & didn't prime first.

Cons: If you aren't careful you can get drips & runs and you definitely want to use it on your walls before you add windows or trim or begin to decorate the inside.

Pros: It doesn't leave brush strokes (I don't notice brush strokes on my houses now...) and it's as fast as brushing on the paint to get the same coverage.

It's fun to be a newbie!

ohhh I agree with that!

I love learning new things! and I have so much to learn

so I consider myself a newbie as well! isnt it fun? :wacko:

nutti :D

Lynette, I'd say that calling you a newbie would be a stretch, after seeing some of the beautiful things you've done...I checked out your pics --- really great stuff! But I guess the learning process never stops, and, from that aspect, we're all newbies! Some of us more than others. :D

Used spray-on Fleckstone for one of my conservatories, but didn't like the coverage -- actually, I got more paint on me than on the structure :D I stick to the brush-on stuff now -- I consider myself spray can challenged. :wacko:

It's fun to be a newbie!

ohhh I agree with that!

I love learning new things! and I have so much to learn

so I consider myself a newbie as well! isnt it fun?

As do I, if there isn't anything new to be learned, what's the point of doing it any more?