Heat Gun

Brezavaqt

I've promised to only ask one "help me" question per day! (Big Smiles!!)

This one pertains to heat guns. I want to remove some trim on my dh and I don't want to damage the house. What's the best brand to purchase? I don't want it to be too hot that it damages the wood; but I don't want it to not be hot enough that I can't get the trim off!

Please help! (Maybe we could have a section here just for TOOLS OF OUR TRADE!) I'm always seeing tool questions! ;)

Hi Tracy! I haven't tried my hair dryer yet; it shuts off when it gets "too" hot when I dry my hair. So, I just thought it would be better if I purchased an actual heat gun. I saw one for $25 at Lowes. I just wasn't sure if it was a good one. They had another one for $70. I was just like, "What to do"?

Hi Bre,

Try looking for an embossing heat gun. It provides heat without the air...

Also, I don't know if this will help you or not. I used a xacto knife and a wood burning tool. I would use the wood burning tool to heat the blade of the xacto knife then I would place the hot knife against the glue. It's tedious work but I was able to remove the pieces and the glue in one shot.

• 2 weeks later...
If it helps, white vinegar is supposed to soften wood glue.

WOW Holly. I didn't know that! Have you ever tried it? Does it warp the wood? That's VERY interesting and excellent to know! Thanks so much!

Just so everyone knows...I bought a Wagner heat gun from Lowes for a "wopping" $24.00!!! Imagine how happy I was when I got it home and started the process of removing trim with it and it WORKED!! I just had to be careful because the gun gets VERY hot; there are only two settings (Low & High) and the temps are 750 and 1000 degrees. It melted the glue in no time and then I was able to pull off the trim.

Unfortunately, I broke some of the windows trying to remove them. Only because I was just getting used to the gun and wasn't patient enough to let it do the work of melting the glue before I tried to pry the windows off.

Never-the-less, it works!! So, if anyone out there is looking for another tool to add to their mini tool collection, here's what worked for me:

post-3899-1275915478_thumb.jpg

I've promised to only ask one "help me" question per day! (Big Smiles!!)

:D

Hey, Bre! I thought I was the queen of asking questions. :popcorn: I have felt guilty for asking so many questions. :woohoo:

I'm happy you found the heat gun. I'm going to check out that one, too.

• 3 weeks later...
DH's B&D heat gun has one temperature setting: godawful HOT!

LOL Why do I know the "godawful HOT" so well. I thinks I burn myself on that probably more than anyone on this forum!!!!!! (My dad's hot gun) Now I use the blow dryer - and still manage to heat my hands up pretty good

Donna

Thanks for giving me another idea!I need to get a seam apart on a house....I just remembered that I have a soldering iron that actually has an attachment for a heated exacto blade. It is meant of cutting styrofoam and such....I'll bet it would work for the glued seams too!

Thanks for giving me another idea!I need to get a seam apart on a house....I just remembered that I have a soldering iron that actually has an attachment for a heated exacto blade. It is meant of cutting styrofoam and such....I'll bet it would work for the glued seams too!

Casey, what's the brand name of that soldering iron? Bruce uses a lot of foam for his dioramas and I know he'd love to have a heated blade for working with builder's foam. He's got a birthday coming up too.

Deb

I bought the same Wagner heat gun at Walmart for $23.97. It was $24.00 at Home Depot.

I tried using my hair dryer first and it kept overheating and turning itself off.

The heat gun is wonderful! I am refurbishing a house that was put together with lots of hot glue - and there was hot glue everywhere - whoever did the house did a sloppy job.

This is my first time using a heat gun and the directions emphasize that you need to keep the gun moving all the time.

The heat gun was a life saver for me. A flat metal spatula (not the correct word, but similar to a spatula and found in the paint department) is essential for sliding behind windows, doors, etc. to gently remove them once you have heated them sufficiently.

I've very glad I bought the heat gun.

mygrommi