Victorian Cottage Jr

Roxxie

I just got this kit and picked paint colors... I'm planning on 3-color victorian style for the exterior (spring green, girly pink and white) and adding some more intricate trim and swapping out the windows for a working set.

While the outside will be traditional looking, the inside will be very whimsical and girly. It's going to a 6 year old, so I'd like to leave some room for her to redecorate herself when she gets older. I'm planning on fun splashy scrapbook paper, and hopefully finding a way to attach it in a way that's easy to pull out later.

I'm also thinking about how to add "front-opening" feature on the back...to make the house somewhat brother-proof, I'd like to add hinged panels covering the back that fold down to double as a little bit more floor play space.

I'm going to leave it largely unfurnished so that she can make it her own.. plus she's really too young to care about scale or nice furniture, so I'll probably just throw in some Calico Critters or something so she can get down to playing right away!

Larissa, try putting up the wallpaper with liquid starch. It will hold well yet come off easily later. Be sure to prime the raw wood with gesso or regular wall latex paint or a sanding sealer before doing any wall treatment or the chemicals in the wood will in time leach through and darken the paper or discolor the paint.

This house was my first build, too (pics in my gallery). I am still finishing/refinishing it (I swear dollhouses are never "done!"). My recommendation would be to make templates out of cardstock (or any thicker paper) of all the upper walls to cut out the wallpaper and keep them on hand if you want to redecorate. It is hard to figure out and cut all those angles once put together, but super easy to trace and cut beforehand for a perfect fit.

The shingles were the most off-putting part of the process for me and I wish I had seen the tutorial by moreminis first, which can be found here:

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/

Check out the shingling tutorial that shows how to use paper templates and your roof will be a snap.

Oh yes, and I really wish I had the advice Megs gives up top when putting mine together - electrify the upstairs before it is put together! And that mdf is like concrete when it comes to pounding in the outlets. I still haven't figured out a way to get outlets in without destroying or bending them, or having them wobble and only light up intermittently!

It's a great little house, solid, well made - enjoy!

Thanks for the tip, Kathy! Is liquid starch a food product, or something I'd find in the craft store?
Liquid starch is a laundry product used to stiffen lacy things and to make cottons lovely and smooth, for those of us old enough to know how to use an iron and ironing board...

That's OK, Larissa; when I was a little girl I remember my mother and grandmother cooking the laundry starch on the stove (it came dry out of a box, first) and then adding it into the final rinse water.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just built this kit. It was a lot of fun and went together very easily, especially compared to the other houses that I am working on that need a ton of rehab.

Too bad I found this thread after building as I could have taken advantage of other peoples advice!

I changed the front door out for one I had found last time I was in Australia. I also changed the windows, and accidentally put the upper floor in backwards so my staircase (yes I actually have stairs in this house) is back to front.

This house is going to be a yarn shop.