Developing Reactions

Many may remember me mentioning that when I was tearing apart the partialy built Garfield that I thought I may be allergic to something that was on it from the previous owners. My hands would itch and break out in hives. I also started the Authur at the same time and did not notice if it was causing the problem as well, since I already had the rash from the Garfield. The breaking out stopped as soon as the pieces were primed.

Well It seems that I was not alergic to something on the house. I started the Westville today. I really was suffering from lack of projects. I started to put it together and ...... OH MY the familiar itch returned.

I have been building house for a few years now and this is just starting, I think I may have developed an allergy to the plywood. I washed my hands, put some hydroctozone (sp?) cream on them and am now searching for the surgical gloves to finish assembling the walls. I may have to build in the future with gloves on untill the house is sealed. I will NOT let a little allergy stop me form the hobby I have come to love so much.

Melissa

Or if you know someone, get gloves that arent latex...You dont want to open ANOTHER can of worms if you have a latent latex allergy.

Hope you feel better soon! :)

If that's not an ad to seal all of each sheet of plywood before building, in your case, I don't know one. If you aren't also allergic to latex or the powder they put in them I get the 100-count boxes very cheap at Big Lots. There are polyvinyl gloves such as food service workers use if you can't hack latex.

Melissa -

Let us know how you do working with gloves. I hope that your allergy won't affect your breathing. That's always my main concern when working with smells. I have asthma and have to avoid breathing lots of chemicals. I used a spray bathroom cleaner a couple of weeks ago and had a severe reaction. Back to VIM.

-Susanne

Watch out for those latex gloves . . . especially the cheap ones. I developed an allergy to latex while undergoing orthodontics with my braces.

Are you sure it isn't the glue? Have you changed any products lately?

I used a spray bathroom cleaner a couple of weeks ago and had a severe reaction. Back to VIM.

Susanne, I hear you! I have the same problem. I use a product like Vim too. Can't tolerate those chemical smells! I bought hubby a shower spray to spray on after he showers in the morning . . . I coughed and hacked with that . . . so he can't use it and I have to clean it the old fashioned way. Bummer!! :)

I am also allergic to latex. doctors see it on my chart and use them any way!! I break out with a rash even when they wear them to give me an exam :) I had a reaction a couple of weeks ago because of that :rolleyes:

Take it easy my Dear and sorry to hear you are allergic too

Get polyurethane gloves. They're non-allergenic. I worked on an ambulance for 6 years and WE ALL developed latex allergies from gloves. You can go to a medical supply company or possibly even your drug store. Just ask the pharmacist, my drug store sells them (and i'm dating a pharmacist...so convienent). The poly gloves for medical use are easier to work with than those food service gloves because they do fit better and the material is actually thinner than latex so you get better tactile response. HOpe that helps!

I said I am going to start bringing my own gloves for doctor appointments (I used to do this and then I stopped because my doctors "Got It" finally). Well, this last one did not "get it" :lol: I sure did though :D

I said I am going to start bringing my own gloves for doctor appointments (I used to do this and then I stopped because my doctors "Got It" finally). Well, this last one did not "get it" :D I sure did though :(