Need some opinions....

Annette

Taking a break from working on my house I decided to focus on landscaping. I recently put a fieldstone sidewalk down. Now I'm standing back looking at it trying to decide should I put mortar or should I put sand. I got a bag of brown craft sand that looks like dirt. I think that would look a bit better then mortar, but I'm not sure of how to glue in down (if I should even glue it at all). <_<

Any opinions would great.

Thanks,

Annette :D

What she said. If you want to "do" morter & you've laid your walk on a piece of card, lift the walkway to a piece of waxed paper over newspaper. You can use grout or slightly thinned spackle & a pastry tip to grout between the rocks. As soon as it's dry you can replace it in the lawn.

Ok so i'm new...as in fresh off the assembly line joined today and working on my very first dollhouse so i'm certainly not the expert opinion on anything. However, I think grout. Now I'm also a mosaic-er so I may be biased but grout comes in so many different colors and textures (get UNsanded grout for cracks that small, it's easier to get into the cracks and shouldn't crack as it dries because it's intended for gaps of 1/8 inch or less). however, I'd defintaly pull it off the 'lawn' to grout it because sponging off the excess can be a messy job. If you have any grouting questions, I'd be happy to answer as that is one area I'm fluent in. <_<

Looks great so far! I would soooooo love to landscape on of my mini homes. I have 5 cats tho. Experience has told me this would be a bad idea....so someday when we get that house with a large basement family room with a door to shut out furry beasts....i'll have to live without landscaping. Unless of course i want to shut my project in the closet with my cantebury, 1 porcelain doll and a vase of silk flowers. <_<

Looks great so far! I would soooooo love to landscape on of my mini homes. I have 5 cats tho. Experience has told me this would be a bad idea....so someday when we get that house with a large basement family room with a door to shut out furry beasts....i'll have to live without landscaping. Unless of course i want to shut my project in the closet with my cantebury, 1 porcelain doll and a vase of silk flowers. :)

I know what you mean ... Ray's going to help me "redo" the landscaping on the front of my BH. I'd stretched it out to cover the entire table top. But Trinity's landing gear comes down too soon and she takes out the hedge and rose vine covered archway each time she lands.

Ray is going to take me shopping to buy a new "smaller" base. My plan is to buy a "same size" base to pull everything together and then convince him to put an extension in the dining room table.

We're going to take the BH and all the landscaping off the table, wash the tablecloth and put everything back. He also wants to take "everything" out of the dollhouse and dust. I usually just dust each room, but the staircase hasn't been done in quite a while.

-Susanne

I was thinking grout myself too. Like lipyrogirl said, you can get grout in all kinds of colors. Quik Seal is something I have used for grout when making floor tiling out of dry wall mud, I use the Quik Seal to rub it for the appearance of grout. The only thing is you use a seperate base for your walkway, like heavy artist's paper or paper that resembles canvas so it will absorb the glue. I use a thinned out Elmer's glue, and just keep adding glue if I need it more thick. Then after everything is dry, spray with a sealer to hold it in place. I think this is one reason why my sugarplum cottage that is on a big base and landscaped, has done so well with Henry --he likes to park his carcass on the driveway and 'smell' everything. He hasn't demolished the flowers but he has worked pretty good on an azalea tree at the end of the driveway. :)

I have 5 cats tho. Experience has told me this would be a bad idea....so someday when we get that house with a large basement family room with a door to shut out furry beasts....

I understand that completely, I have a cat also and he seems to know what he can and can't do. That's one reason I decided to use the flagstone. So this way he can't move 'em when he is 'keeping me company' :) .

real human kids, how will I refer to them?

By name, with more than one kid it'll probably be the wrong name (I was particularly bad at that & still do it occasionally).

I don't have any siblings but I have a lot of cousins and my grandmother was my 'daycare' provider till i was almost 2 so I thought my name was "ti-ash-kris-man-jon-jas-wya-saw-darn-it-APRIL!"

for those of you trying to figure it out, tim, ahsley, kristin, mandi, jonathan, jason, wyatt, sawyer

However, it seems I've hijacked this thread...back to the walkway, what did you decide to do? I can't wait to see the finished product!

I understand that completely, I have a cat also and he seems to know what he can and can't do. That's one reason I decided to use the flagstone. So this way he can't move 'em when he is 'keeping me company' :) .

We have a couple of chewers (i doubt that word is in the dictionary)! I had built a RGT's conservatory (my first build ever) and was going to attatch it to my Garfield as an extra room....now it is more like a room box. I have it on one of the bedroom dressers, it's turned toward the wall, otherwise it would be a cat room. They all climb on top of it to lay down on it and all of the posts have teeth marks in them, i have no idea for sure which furball is the guilty one....so for all of my work i will have to replace the posts. I have other things that have been chewed on and have to be careful about putting anymore trimmings on my houses, again until we can get a separate display room. I adore my cats so for now i will have to "do without" on a couple of things, such as landscaping until we get that room with a door. I actually have alot of landscaping supplies because i had wanted to do a walled in english garden. That idea has gone to the wayside because when i build my Glencroft, it will be an english cottage with a walled in garden. I want alot of flowers and trees and a pathway. Much too much temptation for cats....although i could build it and store it in the basement (covered of course)....now there is an idea that i hadn't thought of before. At least i could do the create stuff that i want and not have to wait! I could then take a cup of tea down to the basement and take the cover off my creation and sit and stare at it for a while...kind of like going for a visit...hehe.

Sniffer (my cat) is definiately one of my kids and I always end up calling one of them the wrong name (I only have three :D Sniffer, Christopher and Amber) So they're use to 'mommy losing her mind' :)

As for the sidewalk I think I'm going to go with the sand because it would be less messy. The stones are glued to the yard already (cut the grass exposing the board right where I wanted the path) and grout would probably end up getting into the grass (knowing me). Now I just have to figure out do I use white glue that dries clear (with a very pointed tip to get into the cracks) or the model railroad glue that doogster mentioned.

Thanks everyone :D

Annette

We have a couple of chewers (i doubt that word is in the dictionary)! I had built a RGT's conservatory (my first build ever) and was going to attatch it to my Garfield as an extra room....now it is more like a room box. I have it on one of the bedroom dressers, it's turned toward the wall, otherwise it would be a cat room. They all climb on top of it to lay down on it and all of the posts have teeth marks in them, i have no idea for sure which furball is the guilty one....so for all of my work i will have to replace the posts. I have other things that have been chewed on and have to be careful about putting anymore trimmings on my houses, again until we can get a separate display room..

I know who our "chewer" is. Trinity is the only one of the three that can jump to the top of the Beacon Hill. Missymew is too full-figured, and Dudley, at age 16, can't jump that high any longer.

The vet suggested that since Missymew hasn't lost any weight after being on Reducing Diet Cat Food for the past six weeks, that perhaps we increase her activity level. Instead of having a bowl of dry food in the kitchen and downstairs in the laundry room, that we only have a bowl in the laundry room. That way she has to get some exercise to get to her cat bowl.

When we got up the following morning after removing the kitchen bowl, Missymew was so upset she gobbled down two helpings of breakfast and was still hungry. She was also very stressed. We decided it wasn't worth it to upset her. The kitchen bowl has been reinstated.

-Susanne

No matter how diligent I am with the cats and the dh.. I still have a catfur/stucco motif on my dh siding.

Eh! If cat hair is a condiment, it can also be a decoration!