the orchid becomes home to a newbie witch

I decided my witch would live at home with her parents no longer. Since she just graduated from witch academy, she needs to get out there and live life to its fullest, practicing those witchery skills and making potions out on her own.

Well, my polymer clay witch was sad. This builder started construction on a home for her (the cantebury) and it was too small. The deal fell thru and another buyer came along for that property. Knowing how excited and impatient she must be for her own home, construction was started this evening on an Orchid property. Beginning phases of construction are almost completed with shell together and roof attatched. Further reinforcement of all wood components will commence tomorrow am with a handy bottle of wood glue. Further constuction of the Orchid will resume later in the week after builder has a few days off from her day job. Decorating aspects are being considered for both the interior and exterior of this precious house. The witch must decide between different textures of stucco for the exterior and possible wallpapers for the interior. An extensive selection of scrapbooking papers will be available for her perusal. :lol:

I'm sure she will love her new house and forgive you for making her wait. BTW I like your witch, she has got to be a friendly type.

I'm sure she will love her new house and forgive you for making her wait. BTW I like your witch, she has got to be a friendly type.

Yes, i agree :) she is a friendly witch and will only conjure good spells and make love potions. :p

I absolutely love this dollhouse kit. I cannot believe how fast it went together! I envision doing this kit again for another project! Possibly a fairy cottage. Anyway so far it has been a pleasure to work with. I don't know what i did tho in building it but my right thumb is numb. strange sensation to say the least! Hopefully it will go away :lol:

I love it! I want to do a haunted house very much. It started when my two-yr-old kept asking for "ogret" for breakfast instead of yoghurt. It made me lagh and think of all the other scary groceries you could have.

I have too many projects to complete first though so it'll have to wait and I'll live vicariously through you! LOL

Dianne

I love it! I want to do a haunted house very much. It started when my two-yr-old kept asking for "ogret" for breakfast instead of yoghurt. It made me lagh and think of all the other scary groceries you could have.

I have too many projects to complete first though so it'll have to wait and I'll live vicariously through you! LOL

Dianne

lol on the scary groceries :lol:

The house is under construction, i may get some work started on the exterior this weekend. I'll post some pictures to the gallery this evening :p

I have too many projects to complete first though so it'll have to wait and I'll live vicariously through you!

I had 6 unfinished projects and as of last week, I am almost caught up. It feels so good to be almost caught up. I only have to finish my light house class project with Rik Pierce.

:angry:

Do take pictures for us Marg!

My witch has spoken and has decided her first home must be done in shades of purple! I don't have a name for my witch yet.....the person who made her named her glynne or something like that but i don't like that name so.....she will be renamed as soon as i think of a fun name for her.....she is a good witch and has a love of the color purple.....so it should be quite shocking to see her home colors :angry: MY personal favorite color is blue but i think a purple house will be suitable for a nice and young witch ....hehe

You could name her Lilac or Lavender or some other shade of purple. Or name her after the house and call her Orchid... :angry:

Your witch is really cute. I like purple so I'm looking forward to seeing how you decorate her house.

You could name her Lilac or Lavender or some other shade of purple. Or name her after the house and call her Orchid... :D

Your witch is really cute. I like purple so I'm looking forward to seeing how you decorate her house.

OOOO I love the name lilac! That will be her new name! Thanks!

Aubergine!

<_<

• 3 weeks later...

I updated some pic's on the orchid and the tennyson in the gallery. I haven't progressed past the spackling and sanding on the tennyson, however the orchid is about 80% completed. I have a few more pieces of trim to put on and some touch up paint as well as gluing in the flooring (which I have cut to fit) and then cutting some baseboard, staining and gluing in place. I don't know why i posted the pic's of the orchid as the spackle in the pictures looks so very messy. It looks so completely different now, but i'm too lazy to take pic's at the moment. I'll try to get new pic's posted on sunday or monday...my next days off!

I finished the trim and touch up paint, then applied varnish over the top to protect the acrylic paint. I should have taken pictures first! Last time I used varnish over craft paint i must have used the matte finish. This house has a glare it's so shiny :D looks good tho. At least I'll know for future projects to not use the gloss finish, it's glossier than i intended. I'm happy with the results, however taking pictures will be hard with the flash so you may not get a great idea of how the paint color really looks! :lol:

Today I'll glue in the flooring and get the baseboards started. The shingling won't get completed yet because i'm having to sand all the edges of the birch shingles. Very time consuming! I'll post pic's this afternoon of the progress so far!

pic's are posted in the gallery. i wish i had taken photos prior to putting the varnish on, because due to the glare you can't really see how pretty the colors really are. The colors look more blue and dark than they are in person. I'll probably try a coat of matte varnish over the top of the gloss varnish to see if i can tone it down a bit. Did i mention it's very shiny :lol: :lol: :D Ah well. Live and learn! I also posted a couple of cat photos.

It's a lot of purple, but it'll be fun to use yellow & gold accents with! If the glare of the gloss really detracts from what you're trying to do you could always sand off the varnish and touch up and go for the varnish you like.

It's a lot of purple, but it'll be fun to use yellow & gold accents with! If the glare of the gloss really detracts from what you're trying to do you could always sand off the varnish and touch up and go for the varnish you like.

Yes, this witch did demand alot of purple :D I will use other colors inside, a vase of mini yellow flowers would be pretty! The fabrics I have will also be shades of purple, but i do have gold fabric as well. ooooo i could hit joann's and see if they have any tiny yellow fabric that i could use in the throw pillows. I haven't decided on curtain color yet. I will definately tone down the glossiness of the exterior, it's just a bit much. I kick myself for trying to save 1.50 on the varnish. To get the kind i needed at Michael's, it cost more but i've used it in the past and liked the matte varnished look it had. I got a large bottle at Walmart for 1.50 less and was excited about my $ savings. Now I see that i should have just spent the extra $ on a tried and true product. Ah well. I'll get it toned down.

it is a tad shiney but it looks good!

get yourself to HL this week for the 50% off modling clay...they have sparkly fimo in lots of colors I got blue and silver.

the house looks great!

nutti :D

Thanks Nutti! I'm gonna try to tame down the shine a little. The positive side is that the paint and stucco beneath it are well protected now....that is the reason i used the stuff in the first place! :o :D It is quite smooth to the touch as well.. :)

• 3 months later...

Don't faint from the shock....i finished my orchid! I completed the shingles for the roof....all i have left is to put in curtains and decorate. I'll post pic's in the gallery sometime this weekend.

I have now actually completed my first dollhouse :D all the others are in stages.... :):D