brandy new - painting outside first or last

Katecolu

I am so glad I found this community- I am just beginning on my first house, the buttercup. I bought a more complicated one, but my husband, a plastic model builder, got me the buttercup as he said I needed to begin with something smaller. and that has been good advice.

I have been doing the insides as I go, and sanding and sealing the outsides- but should I be painting the outside first as well?

also yesterday I broke a support piece when removing it from the large piece- should I just try to cut and make another one?

also grade of sandpaper- seems like it needs to be fine or it takes off too much?

I just bought a hot glue gun but read here that is a big No NO so I will try the tacky or wood glue when I begin to assemble.

any other advice for someone who is brand brand new?

from Kate THANks

Congratulations on starting your first house! DH is right, it's less daunting to start with a smaller one so you don't get discouraged and quit. Once you've done it, you can move on up to the big time.

Leave the hot glue gun in the closet, and use a product made for wood.

I don't seal, i just gesso everything that will need painted or papered, but lots of folks have lots of different opinions on that.

I haven't found the need for coarse sandpaper. i use fine, or a file for most things.

Sure, if you break something you can cut out a new one. or glue that one back together. i have several pieces of broken trim and foundation supports that broke either when I was cutting them out of the sheet or when I tried to fit them in place. I even lost one piece completely but dh cut another one out of scrap wood with the scroll saw. (this stuff is awful to try and cut with a knife because of the glue between the plies and the plies themselves. )

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask here, folks are great about sharing their experience!

Welcome, Catherine. I have repaired mini, mini broken bits, I put a little wood glue on one part of the break and gently press the two pieces back together, wipe off the excess glue and wrap a scrap of waxed paper around the break and clamp it until it's dry.

I have also cut out new parts, a scroll saw will do it, so will a utility knife and a cork-backed steel ruler; I use a Stanley box-cutter type utility knife because it's VERY sturdy and the blades replace quickly & easily.

You might want to visit the Newcomers' Forum & introduce yourself to the whole gang.

I use aleene's tacky glue most of the time, and repair broken peices as much as possible. I like to paint the shell outside before I put on any window frames, doors and trim. Then you can paint those a different color, before putting them on, without worrying about the main house. Have fun. Welcome to the wonderful world of minis, and endless possibilities...

Don't worry about broken Pieces as everyone has just said it's easily fixed. I have had to cut out or repair several on my current house because they either broke as I punched them out or a couple that I dropped and before I realized it my dog had chewed the end off. THis is also a good reason to keep all the sheets that you punch the wood out from. It gives you a pattern to make a new piece and also you can use that wood so you know its the correct thickness. Have fun can't wait to see how it turns out!!