doll with a "wierd" eye?

miniwendy

I bought a second hand store doll- she's very pretty, a little red haired girl by Gotz, about 18" tall. She has green eye. That's right, I did say green "eye" not "eyes"! One of her eyes looks just fine, but the other appears to have completely lost its color. It just looks like clear plastic. I can see the pupil, and the molded pattern where the iris would be, but no color! :wave:

Is there a way to fix this? Is the color somewhere inside the eyeball and it just went to the back of the head, or what happened here? I took her head off and looked up inside, but there's no good way to reach up in there unless I had very very tiny hands.

They're sleep eyes, by the way.

Thanks!

Wendy

This is a problem some Gotz and American Girl dolls get. It's called silver eye. The layers or decals used to make the eye look real separate and lose color. AG fixes their dolls for no charge because it's considered a defect. You could get your dolls eyes replaced at a doll hospital. The only one I know much about is called TLC doll hospital in Denver, Colorado. A lot of the members on the American Girl site use them for just changing eye colors etc. I don't know how much they charge but if the doll is Gotz, it would be worth fixing. I've only had that happen once with molly and AG fixed it.

lol on the cataracts!

I'll check into the doll hospital. I don't know anything about doll hospitals, so I appreciate you passing on a name to me! Knowing my luck I'd end up choosing a place that I'd regret! I do hate to pay the $ but she is quite lovely. I also need to send my childhood Ginny baby doll off for a rehair and eyelash treatment, so I can do both at the same time. I really thought I could do the Ginny myself, but I'm finally coming to the conclusion that its just much harder than I thought it would be- so, its doll hospital or nothing!

A couple of the members of the AG doll club fix eyes on their own but the problem is where to get the new eyes. Getting them out of the head and back in can also be difficult without injuring yourself. I'd find a doll hospital that has eyes available and does the work.

Long, thin hemostats can come in handy where your hands won't fit! BTW, I have cataracts, and I wish there were a doll hospital that could replace human eyes that worked like new; I wouldn't even care if they were both the same color!

I know getting the eyes out takes heat. Some use a hair dryer, others pour boiling water in the head. How they do the water thing without ruining the wig I don't know. I wouldn't try it. The eyes are in little vinyl capsules in the head.

Holly, I had cataract surgery almost two years ago and my walking around vision has improved where I really don't need glasses. Closeup is no better though so I still use bifocals rather than fool with on and off and losing the glasses. :):)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, before I spend a gazillion dollars and ship her off to the dolly hospital. I was thinking about it from the opposite direction- is there a way to make her one colored eye go silver easily? The clear/silvered eye is actually attractive (odd color, but not too bizarre), so if I could get the decal on the green one to detach then they'd both match...

Feasible? Or no way?

• 1 month later...

Doogster, I have to agree with you there. I have a hospital picked out, just working on funds to send her! (hmmm, what useless junque do I have sitting around my house that I can sell on ebay....)

• 8 months later...

And after all that... you'd still have to send the doll off to the doll hospital! Talk about adding insult to injury! :D

I realize I'm a bit late in answering this but it was just too funny!

oh man, I can just see myself with boiling water, a hair dryer, hemastats, and....an ambulance with paramedics racing me to the hospital!! :)

• 6 months later...

Just found this post again, Did you ever get the eye replaced? I don't know if you are a doll collector like I am but the American Girl Fans Message Board is a fun forum that is mostly AG dolls. Gotz are so similar though since the AG dolls are made originally from Gotz molds. Pleasant Roland bought the mold from Gotz to start Pleasant Company which is now American Girl, owned by Mattel. Mattel bought AG about ten years ago for seven hubdred million dollars. :yikes: I joined the AG forum about four years ago and it's a lot of fun and lots or pics from members to see. It's an independent club, not part of Ammerican Girl Co. You might like it.