Melee's Lilly

melee

I feel the need to share my experience building the Lilly because i feel it is probably very unique, but not in a good way.

Way back around 1994 i recieved the lilly kit as a christmas present, after months of hinting to my mom. I was 13 at the time, and i was confident that i could build it myself, and i was right (eventually). I still remember that beautifly pink lilly on the cover of the box, and that was much heavier then it looked.

During my christmas break i begged my mom to take me the hardware store to get the supplies the directions said i would need. And i began construction. Within the first few minutes of puching out window frames, a few snapped, as did my patience and attention span. Back in the box went everything, and the Lilly went to the garage.

Of course my mother was little preturbed but i assured her that i would build it some day. Well five years went by and we moved, the Lilly came too, but it would be another two years before it would see the light of day.

During my summer break from college my home life was a little crazy, so i decided that to get my mind off of things i would build the dollhouse that was crammed between a million boxes in the basement. Heres an important lesson learned: do not keep your dollhouse in a dry basement or damp garage. The large floor and wall sections were warped, the smaller pieces were brittle from the dry conditions so alot of things broke as working with them.

(the following may be horrific to read for some, please read with caution)

To make matter worse i didn't really see why i had to use tacky glue, so i hot glued the whole house together. Yes i know know it was wrong, but i didn't see the harm at the time. Look how fast its going to together i gushed to my mother who was thrilled that her gift wasnt a total wast of cash.

So besided the hot glue, the warping, and the breaking, by far the worst was trying to bend the pieces for the mansard roof. I had to call the help line on the box to ask how to do it right. I had tried everything on my own, but they suggested wraping them around 2 liter soda bottles. This did the trick, the roof went on almost without incident. (alot of wood filler masked the problems i had). THe same could not be said the dormer pieces which snapped like twigs even after long repeated soakings.

And then the doors didnt fit, and many porch uprights broke, and the stairs were built upsided down (thankfully the hot glue allowed for the pieces to be pulled apart and rebuilt). I wish my problems had stopped at the construction, but alas they preceded into the painting the house. Anyone care to guess how may colors the my lilly was before i settled on what it is today? I believe it was 4. I wasnt happy with anything i was putting on it. Finally i said the heck with it, masked off the windows and shingles, spray painted it white and paited it in colors that my room is decorated it.

Orignially i had just planned to decorate the outside, but after how well it looked, i decided to try to wall paper the inside the house.

(Another horrible bit: again please read with caution)

I didn't prime my walls before i wallpapered, so of course it began to peal off here and there. So i just glued it up with wallpaper seam repair medium.

After i wallpapered it, i began to put furniture in it (which had been bought at the time the house was purchased), and it looked so nice, but i thought it would look so much better if it was lit. So i bought lights and stuck them up, and hid the cords behind molding along the back. But was i satisfied, of course not because as the months and nearly year progressed i was completed addicted to perfecting my house. The first thing that I did to change the look of the house was to rip off the chimney (where the kit has it is over the bay wind sections which makes no sense what so ever) and front doors (thank you hot glue). I then got out the razor saw and dremmel, and put new front doors in. I bought shutters, roof railing, and I made window boxes and a bathroom door (why wasn't there a bathroom door and mean come on!)

Now i'm finally reaching a point where i feel its nearly complete, i just found scrapbooking paper that looks like grass which i added to the base and it looks just like a yard. I would still like to put up celling paper and find a way to soften the side bedroom opening, i'll get to that some day :unsure:

Melee

I'll try to attach pictures in another post

by far the worst was trying to bend the pieces for the mansard roof.

Amen :lol: ;)

I tied mine around coffee cans, soaked them so long I thought they would rot, but finally got it to cooperate. I basically tortured mine in to compliance. :unsure:

Now, Deb didn't have a bit of problem and she drapped it across her bath tub, I believe.

From your avatar, it looks like it turned out really well. (Need bigger picture)

The Lily really grows on you.

Melee: Your Lily IS beautiful. It doesn't show any signs of the troubles you speak of. Now you must tell us the "people" story behind your settings. Looks like their having a party.

I love the colors you finally chose for your Lily!

you did a wonderful job...even with all your trials and tribulations!

you should be very pleased!

the few rooms of the inside you shared shows considerable decorating talent. I also would like to know about the brick work in the kitchen! looks like something I would like to do with the one I am working on.

great job! thanks for sharing!

nutti :unsure:

Your doll house is beautiful and I agree 100% that your interior decorating shows considerable talent! I would love to see pictures of the rest of the rooms - and wold love to know how you did the brick work too :unsure:

Now, Deb didn't have a bit of problem and she drapped it across her bath tub, I believe.

It took about 8 hours of soaking it in hot water every hour on the hour and then draping again, but I didn't have anything else planned for that day. :unsure:

Melee, your Lily is simply gorgeous. I love the paint scheme on it...........very elegant and lovely. And the interior is just beautiful. You've made it come to life. Looking inside is like peeking into the windows of a happy family. Excellent work!

Deb

Thank you for all your kind words, I'm so glad that the boo-boo's don't show.

In response to the questions about the brick behind the stove, its scrapbooking paper, the same goes for the kitchen floor. And yes there is a party going on, my mom is kind of the orchastrator of the story behind them all. I've asked her to write it down and i'll post that on the lilly discussion board when shes done.

I'm attaching some more pictures, one of my newly annoited favorite space: the maids room.

post-717-1148504886_thumb.jpg

post-717-1148504928_thumb.jpg

Beautifully done!

From the photo's, I would never have guessed that the brick work was paper - looks so realistic from where I'm sitting.

The entire dollhouse is wonderfully inspiring!

You did a WONDERFUL Job on this house!! Thank you so much for posting your pictures! I LOVE the bedroom upstairs and the cute little dog you have!

Your Cat is so cute too. I love the colors you choose. The Bathroom is really nice too. I love your colors that you choose.

Melee -

Your dollhouse is beautiful. You did an excellent job. I really like that you have lots of people and character in your home.

So, when are you going to build your next dollhouse?

-Susanne

• 2 months later...

sorry for this post, its out of necesity for another project of mine which requires an address to determine imagemap cordinits, and this is the only way for me to get my picture online. (but it of my version of the lilly so its not totally off topic.

Again, sorry.

Melee

post-717-1154910264_thumb.jpg