Doors & Windows

ItzKathyP

I'm ordering upgraded Houseworks 1/2" components for my Fairfield, little by little, and wonder how y'all deal with the difference in thickness of the doors & windows vs. the walls. I can see several possible options, but would love to hear what you do. Thanks so much for your help!!

Kathy, I put some french windows in my Garfield and had that problem, they stood proud by about 1/4 inch so I bought some 1/4 inch thick wood and cut it like a door frame to fill the gap. It looks OK.

Jo

I had some ACP windows that I put into my revamped Greenleaf Washington and decided to build them up from the outside and leave them flush with the wall on the inside. I just bought strip wood the right thickness at the craft store and then cut it so that it was a shade larger than the trim and and did it that way.

Here's how mine came out. The first picture is of the back of the window, the second picture is of the front:

I use pieces of scrap wood to make up the difference. Or I put the windows over the top of paperclay or brick on the outside. Over the top of paneling on the inside. If you look at Deb's new poinsetta house, she has a close up of a replacement window in the gable with a wood spacer behind it. It looks fabulous.

Make your own doors and windows out of scrap wood! I always use the sheet frames for knicknacks, and doors, etc. just cut to size. The trash is treasure!

Also, how far are you on your fairfield? It was my first home, and I wish I could say I was proud of it.

Also, how far are you on your fairfield? It was my first home, and I wish I could say I was proud of it.
Take a look at my Greenleaf Blog. I'm not very far with it yet, as I had some electrical issues. I think they're resolved now so I hope to make better progress.

I'd love to see pics of your Fairfield. Why not start a Gallery?