June 2006 Swap for Kids?

LPCullen

Interested in a Kid's Swap  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a Kid's Swap for June Swap

• Yes
    • No

Wow! She is growing up so fast, isn't she? She looks beautiful too! And is that your lighthouse I see in the background?

Nutti: I can't believe this child is only 14. wow they grow up fast these days. She looks so cool (that may have been a saying in the 60 not 70's) anyway she is pretty.

Is that a phone in her hand? If so, that proves she is a teenager :lol:

I voted yes, but my older two girls aren't interested. Sher and Ella love my mini stuff and totally love playing with the Glencroft and its goodies, but they are three and four. I am sorta stumped on what to have them make.

Is that a phone in her hand? If so, that proves she is a teenager :lol:

oh yes that is her daddy's idea.

thinks she should have a phone so we wont worry

I actually worry about her more with it. aaaaackkkk these kids! why do they gotta grow up?

and yes she is only 14.

nutti :lol:

oh and Linda...yes that is our lighthouse in the background...still waiting to get it finished.

just a small bit more and the roof and I can paint.

Hi Lori,

Glad your mom has gotten you hooked on minis and this great site - I love all the ideas I read about here!

And I know Mack would love to do a swap - we went out to breakfast this morning after hitting the thrift shop again. Mack is now the proud owner of his very own dollhouse and it's in his favorite color Bright Yellow! We've worked on houses together but this is the first that is Just for him. He got so excited talking about things he wants to put in it and tossing back and forth some ideas for the swap. The idea he liked the best would be half made and half store bought and by the way he wants one for his own house LOL - so I'm thinking for those kids that have trouble making something if they found something real cheap they could fix over or change somehow either by repainting, or gluing beads on - that would probably still count since they changed it - it might seem a little less intimidating to them not having to make an item from scratch. I've also bought stuff out of those 25 or 50 cent vending machines to use in miniature settings - kinda a fun way to look at kids toys :lol: Just trying to think of a way to include any member's child who would want to be included and make it unstressful, easy, and fun for them :lol:

-David

David -

The great thing about young kids (my granddaughters 8 and 6) is that they're not as concerned as we are about being totally in scale. As long as it's small enough for their dollhouse they're content.

I was thinking about suggestions (I don't have kids, but have worked in Sunday School). Most kids aren't very good at cutting, but love to glue.

A not very expensive idea would be to buy a bag of corks ($ Store?). Then the parent could cut either cloth or paper circles and the kids could glue them on top of the corks for small tables.

Make a teddy bears picnic: - cut out squares of cardboard, glue green construction paper on top, glue on a small piece of cloth, or coloured paper for a tablecloth, sit some small bears or make pom pom bears. If they were wanting to do more they could make tiny toys or food or dishes for the bears out of air dry clay.

They could make toys for the dollhouse kids:

- cut wrapping paper or construction paper in kite shapes and have the kids glue the kites to ribbons. They could then string some small beads and hang them off the kite.

- make pom pom animals or teddy bears

- buy a stick (or two) of coloured air dry clay - roll the clay into small balls and let them push their fingers into the balls for impressions - flatten the bottoms and they've made mini bowls or pet food bowls. If they made pet food bowls you could have them glue in some beads or small seeds, or tiny coloured clay pieces for food.

Just some thoughts. Have to stop typing - Trinity is rolling on the keyboard.

-Susanne

I have a small book called Tiny Treasures by American Girl Library that has lots of ideas for as the books says "amazing miniatures you can make". It list easy things to make from making a bed using lollipop sticks, jewelry boxes, and cotton puffs, making flowerpots by dropping a ball of clay into a thimble and using a toothpick to make holes in the clay for flower, using golf tees, beads and a mini muffin cup to make lamps, bookshelves using a small cardboard jewelry box, and beads, some food stuff using sponges or foam, an easel using clothespins and cardboard, a grill using a pizza prop, prize capsule or a cake using a sponge, paper clips and paint. It has other stuff, but this gives you an idea especially for some younger ones.

DGD, Rebecca, mentioned above was only five and was able to make a cake with these instructions, (only she and I substituted styrofoam for the sponge--all sponges in my house was not fit to use) that I have in the Lily now. She also helped cut (under supervision) small dowels to cover with printies to make can stuff. We learned to mark the size of the printie on the dowel before cutting to get the right length.

The book even has a sort of pop up house to display some of the things in when they complete them. Anyone interested in any of the full instructions, just let me know and I will gladly share or check and see if something I didn't mention is in there.

Welcome Monko110--glad to see you stop lurking and finally joining. Tell Becca Boo and Lindy Lou, to sort through their Barbie stuff for me a small gym bag, my dancers need one. :D:D:D

WOW those are such wonderful ideas everyone has listed. I know Rebecca cant wait to get started. Lori Welcome to the forum and I also have a Rebecca shes 7. :D

I know I know I know - I don't have any kids - but I love doing crafts with the little ones at Sunday School.

I found a neat idea for making mini pies that kids might enjoy:

You Need: Bottle Caps

Tiny red or blue beads (cherries or blueberries)

Tacky glue and toothpick

Beige Felt

scissors that will cut felt

Fill the inside of the bottle cap with a thin layer of tacky glue. Drop beads in, arranging them to completely fill the cap in a single layer. Use red for cherry pie and blue for blueberry pies. Squeeze a thin layer of glue in the middle of the cap and add more beats to make a more rounded mound of berries. Let dry overnight. For cherry pie, cut really thin strips of felt . Loosely weave felt pieces using tiny dabs of glue to hold in place. Glue these strips over beads (Makes a lattice top for the pie). Trim around outside.

To make blueberry crust, cut out a circle of foam, cut slits in the middle to show off the blueberries (this shape +). Glue over beads and trim.

Also, to make chocolate chip cookies - just cut out felt rounds and dab with black paints for ships. Let dry and glue onto a plate - or put in small baggies or bags.

I've also got directions for making miniature sundaes, pom pom bears and mini yarn dolls if anyone is interested - just send me a pm and I'll scan the directions. The directions are for a little larger than 1:12, but I'm sure you guys are crafty enough to scale them down.

-Susanne