U.S. Census

Gayle

When the 1940 census is released next year, Lloyd will be in it, as he was born in 1935. I won't. Born Jan 22 1941, missed it. I'm not sure I'll be doing genealogy in 2020, when the 1950 census is released. I'll be 79! <_<

Edit: Wait a minute. I probably will still be working on the family history. I can use a laptop in the old folks' home ... lol

I can see the point of it for future things like transportation, senior homes, etc. However, since I have never seen any of this stuff actually appear as govenments are cutting all the good, useful stuff, I don't know why they bother to ask. We have a big need for public transportation here and it has been cut back instead. And senior homes are so expensive to live in, that I don't know how anyone can afford to live there.

I don't know if anyone is doing any family research in my family. My ancesters were so secretive that my father doesn't even know if his father had brothers or sisters or what their name was. And I just found out my mother's father was irish, not german as he told us. Guess that explains MY temper.

We had a strange person come to the house a few weeks ago. She showed me a document that said she was doing a "pre-census" but only asked how many people lived at the house. Then she left.

The records might be private to you and me for the next 70 yrs, but not to the government. In 1940 the government used the census to help round up all the Japanese in this country and put them in camps during the war. If I received this long form, I would not answer these questions. It is not anyones business but mine how much I pay for insurance or what my house is worth. Besides, by the time all the information is gathered, home values will have changed and I might find a better deal on insurance. So what is the point?

In Canada, they phone you and threaten to send you to jail if they don't get your papers!! Mine once went missing, after I mailed them, and it was just horrible, I was really scared, angry and upset, and Boy did I do one heck of alot of screaming at ignorant people, until one of them, finally listened, and gave me a code to fill it in again online! Then they phoned to get the code I was assigned online to make sure I did do it! I hate those stupid Census things!!