5/3/06 What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten?

I've had rattlesnake and it's about like any other wild white meat. I've also had frogs legs (my cousins and I used to go frogging when we were kids----and the dumbest comment I've ever heard to that statement was someone who asked me how the frogs got around if we cut their legs off) Deep fried alligator tail is a bit too fishy for my taste, but I loooooooooooove deep fried dill pickles and hush puppies so I eat those off of everyone else's plate and give them my share of the alligator tail.

Marg, I sympathize with you about some foods triggering the gag reflex. I can't even think about eating spinach without retching. I don't eat liver because I know what it did in it's previous life. Same with tongue. And I don't care for seafood at all. If it didn't breathe the same air I do, I'd rather not eat it.

Deb

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, you win the prize. :lol: :lol: :p gross on the banana and mayo sammiches.... :D okay it all sounds very very odd B)

lol....(not laughing at you in a mean way)...ummm they are like intestines....grosssssss!!!!!!

Growing up we had potted meat, sardines, spam, bologna, cow tongue, pigs knuckes, menudo with tripe (GAG, cough, choke, vomit), deer brains with scrambled eggs on toast, liver, heart (dad was a hunter), our pet rabbits (once i realized what we were eating i couldn't do it anymore, we used to have a rabbit cage out back). I know there are more interesting things but i can't think right now.

OMG! I had a flashback! One of my first boyfriends flashback!

I was 14 yrs old and we were the kind of movies and holding hands kind of beaus. Anyway, I went to his house and his father asked me if I wanted a snack. He pulls out a jar from the fridge with pickled cow tongue in it! And he started slicing it! EWWW! He said only someone who would truly love his son would at least try it... That boy..He is not my husband! So you can guess that I didnt eat it!!

Nothing is grosser (is that a word) then watching your mil sit at kitchen table and clean the chittlin`s. Gotta get all the poo out!

The smell is soooo bad! but after they are cooked it is pretty tasty. I like them with bbq flavor.

What a flashback! I'm from the south and I rate chitlins and fatback up there together. They DO smell the house up and arent' too pleasant to look at or smell! :lol:

I rate hominy up there--it's so icky looking. I will eat grits, but they are so tasteless it's no wonder our ancestors flavored them up with ham gravy or butter, syrup, anything. I'd rather eat oatmeal. :lol:

The weirdest thing I have ate is monkfish appetizers in our local Japanese resturant. And Alligator deep fried bites at this Creole resturant in Fredericksburg--they were both quite good, and didn't taste fishy or too salty which really turns me off on fish, calamari (rubber bands taste) and crabmeat and oysters. My family will eat lobster and crabmeat all day long, it's far too salty for me unless dipped in butter. Love scallops and shrimp and clams though.

My favorite is kind of mild, I love potato chips and onion dip. I also love spinach dip--and it depends on the dip--it's an acquired taste.

Hubby is one of the unfortunates who will and has tasted everything. I think his most adventurous was monkey brains at some dinner he attended with his parents as a kid. Squid is one of his favorites--now that is really gross. B) , but he loves it. He and my daughter love the sardines--they usually spread it on crackers with goat cheese, (I love goat cheese! :D )

One of my favorites if the potato chips run out, is port wine cheddar cheese on saltines..yum! That stuff is good! :p

I also like banana and mayo sandwiches. So Linda you are not alone.

Cool! I will also eat banana and peanut butter sandwiches, but only if it's crunchy peanut butter. Peanut butter usually sticks the roof of my mouth though so I'm not a fan of it--unless I make a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich and then dip it into chicken noodle soup!

Cool! I will also eat banana and peanut butter sandwiches, but only if it's crunchy peanut butter. Peanut butter usually sticks the roof of my mouth though so I'm not a fan of it--unless I make a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich and then dip it into chicken noodle soup!

Elvis special is good. Peanut butter, sliced banana, and bacon!

Eww on the grape jelly in chk noodle soup.. Sorry but the thought of grape jelly floating in my soup..

Eww on the grape jelly in chk noodle soup.. Sorry but the thought of grape jelly floating in my soup..

MMMMMMM! That's good too, when bits of the sandwich and grape jelly fall into the chicken noodle soup!

. And I don't care for seafood at all. If it didn't breathe the same air I do, I'd rather not eat it.

Deb

I don't eat stuff that used to breathe air. I will eat fish and seafood, but not weird stuff. What are grits - are they things that used to breathe? Or are they a vegetable?

My favourite foods are ice cream, peanut butter, bananas, oranges, tomatoes and popcorn. Not a weird item among them :lol:

-Susanne

What are grits

Girl, you cook chitlins & you don't know grits? Shoo!!! Grits are made from hominy, which is made from corn. Y'all eat 'em like rice, with butter, salt & pepper; gravy; cheese... DH loves the polenta I make from leftover grits (leftover grits? not in our house! I have to cook a batch & hide them in the fridge if we want polenta).

Hubby likes grits with butter salt and pepper, I like my grits with butter and honey.

It is a grain. Kinda tastes like cream of wheat but grainier.

I eat my grits with salt, pepper and butter, and I take some bacon and crumble it up in there. Back when I could remember how to make an egg over easy, I used to mash my egg up in it too! MMMMMMM!!! Good stuff!

Isn't it funny that just living a little north of you that some of your foods are so strange to me. At least grits weren't breathing at one time. :lol:

I went out to lunch with a couple of friends from work at noon today. I asked if either of them knew what chitlins or grits were. They'd never heard of chitlins, but thought grits were kind of like porridge (oatmeal). When I told them what chitlins were, they didn't think they'd like to try them.

BTW, we went to a Vietnamese restaurant for lunch - it's called Doan's - we like a dish that they prepare with vermicelli noodles mixed with shredded lettuce, cucumbers and carrots. Yummmm!

-Susanne

... I've also had frogs legs (my cousins and I used to go frogging when we were kids----and the dumbest comment I've ever heard to that statement was someone who asked me how the frogs got around if we cut their legs off) ...

LOL in little froggy wheelchairs heheh - sorry bout that :D :lol: :D

Oh man this thread is making me hungry! I love Grits! mmmm nothing better on a rainy day Yum only I like it in the morning with a little brown sugar or honey on it. Never had it with gravy but I bet it's better than mashed potatoes :) . And Squid is one of my favorite of all foods. MmmM! I also like dry salted olives, anchovies (fresh or canned), sardines(fresh or canned but only in olive oil), clams, crab, lobster, macrel - the list goes on and on. I love fish. Strangely though, I'm not much of a beef eater

The foods I really can't stand... macaroni and cheese :lol: and pot roast blech.

-David

This is not weird food--this is just weird Linda. I LOVE potatoes! Except I hate french fries! Go figure. I think it has something to do with not liking fried foods, so I will rarely eat french fries, and then only McDonalds french fries.

I'm an adventurous eater, so I've tried some weird stuff, add to that the fact that my dad was from the Kentucky and hunted when I was little, sooo...

'possum, squirrel, froglegs, groundhog (nasty), rabbit, turtle, deer, buffalo, elk, quail, pheasant, octopus, shark, fried conch fritters (yum), alligator, squid, crawdads, and even once (cuz my mom said I hadta) chocolate covered grasshoppers.

I'll try anything once. Weirdest combination-french fries and chocolate fudge sauce. My hubby got me to try that when we were dating. I used to have a friend who liked mustard on her twinkies. Now, that's just plain weird :lol: !

Oh, and my 6 year old son like peanut butter and olive sandwiches. Go figure.

my 6 year old son like peanut butter and olive sandwiches.

DS#3 used to make sliced process cheese & dill relish sandwiches with mustard for his school lunches.

I cannot think of one weird thing that I eat. I absolutely hate fish and never eat it unless it's salmon or tuna from a can. Love potatoes any which way they're cooked but if I eat a sweet pickle, I have to dunk it in whole milk. There is something about vinegar and milk that I really love. Ohhh and if I should have an egg, then I just have to have chocolate right after. One of you mentioned devilled ham and I just love it. I boil the whole can before opening it (only for a short time) and then the ham is hot and mushy, great for spreading on bread. Most of the foods you guys mentioned I've never heard of leave alone eaten. This is such an interesting topic.

Most of the foods you guys mentioned I've never heard of leave alone eaten. This is such an interesting topic.

I agree. This is a fantastic topic. A lot of the foods that you guys have talked about eating I've never even heard of. I know that you've been surprised when I don't know what chitlins or grits are. I don't think these foods are served north of the border? Maybe I'm wrong. We're just humble little folk up here in Canada, eating the food of the land: vegetables from the garden (anything that can be grown in less than 90 days because that's the longest we can go without too heavy of a frost hitting our gardens), and lots of whole grains. Alberta (my Province) is known for its Alberta beef .... but since beefs were once breathing the same air as me ... well, I just can't bring myself to eat 'em.

-Susanne

I was going to say I don't eat weird things... but squid is not weird! Squid is basic! Rabbit, ostrich, buffalo, and moose, I'd all put in the "hard to find, but normal" category. So maybe I'm weird.

Making flavored popcorn by mixing jello powder with the butter was probably weird, but I haven't done that in years.

Chocolate-chip cookies with hot pepper in them probably qualifies as weird, but it's really good.

Chocolate-chip cookies with hot pepper in them probably qualifies as weird, but it's really good.

Ooooo, I have heard of a place in Texas that makes chocolates with hot pepper. Sounded yummy, but they were expensive, so I've never tried them.

Pepper ice cream, now that's good eating :lol: .

Hubby and I eat Calamari (Fried squid ) all of the time. He did not know what it was till about 3 years ago when I burst his bubble :lol: . He did not belive that was what he had been eating fr years LOl Well, the computer did not lie to him when we did our search.

HE got over it quickly and ordered it again the next time we went out to dinner.

:lol:

I guess the different geographical locations in the US & Canada chitlins and grits would sound somewhat strange or 'weird'. Hominy and grits are basically the same thing, they are a grain. I guess you don't love what is served all the time; as a result, most people are amazed I am from the South and dislike eating grits--most have never heard of hominy. I remember traveling to New York with my parents when I was young and being surprised at the look from the waiter when I asked for iced tea w/ lemon to drink at breakfast--my parents would sometimes have iced tea in the mornings too--and one cup of coffee with their eggs, and other breakfast. It was just good.

One thing that was awful smelling were cresses my grandmother used to cook on the stove. She had been taught how to pick them--so she knew what to pick and what not to pick. Cresses fetch a high price in the supermarket today per pound, and they smell like old socks stewing on the stove. Cresses are greens, and they are best when eaten with alot of vinegar, if you can manage it. I prefer kale or cabbage with lots of pepper and vinegar--yummy. :lol:

I have ate game, and while I will eat it, doesn't really thrill me. Rabbit is somewhat a little too gamey for my taste, but it probably wasn't prepared right.

One thing that is really good is fried green tomatoes. I love them--when they are cooked and fried just right, they are crunchy! And sweet potato fries! Those are really good! :lol:

The weirdest thing or things should I say that I have ever eaten include

A spider when I was about 5 or 6

A catapillar

Horse meat when I was 9

snake meat

All these things I ate before I became vegetarian and before I knew what they actually were. :D

Poutine isn't wierd? Actually DH & I liked it when we tried it.

Our favorite Thai restaurant has a special curry they make with a mix of seafood including teeny little squid in their ink that come out looking like lovely little flowers, and YUMMY!

DH & I differ on the subject of greens, he prefers turnip greens & I like collards with a few mustards thrown in. His aunt taught me to add a pinch of brown sugar to greens, it totally cuts any bitterness. I miss having a mini tub in my washer, it was perfect for washing the grit out of greens.

The Miccosukee & other SE Native Americans treated the corn kernels with the lye leached from fire ashes to make hominy, and when the hominy was ground up and cooked it made grits.

I am pretty sure I have read all the posts on this thread and I think no one mentioned the ultimate weirdness,,Eating Crow!

I have had to do that on many occasions. LOL