wicker furniture

nuttiwebgal

ok I got my book. which I love! ty for the suggestion.

I also had gotten a dollcradle kit while in Chicago that I have finished.

it looks passable!

questions

the kit came with a balsa base and paper covered wire and waxed thread.

do you makers of this stuff use the mount board of the directions and the cake wires?

will I be able to find these things at Hobby Lobby?

most of the patterns show the wires going all the way through....is this because the mount board is thinner than the balsa? and have you subbstituted anything from the directions.

I am very ready and eager to start a project.

so any tips and hints would make me very happy

thanks!

nutti :blink:

questions

the kit came with a balsa base and paper covered wire and waxed thread.

do you makers of this stuff use the mount board of the directions and the cake wires?

will I be able to find these things at Hobby Lobby?

Definitely, mount board should be in the framing section and balsa and basswood are in the hobby lumber display. I'd go with basswood and a small drill/ pin vise to make holes for the wires.

most of the patterns show the wires going all the way through....is this because the mount board is thinner than the balsa? and have you subbstituted anything from the directions

I haven't made any mini wickerwork, but VERY MUCH want to, and have collected & read many how-to articles; so those of you out there who have made wicker, please jump in to correct me if I'm wrong :blink: , but I think the wires go on through for stability in weaving, the last thing I'd want is to have the wires come out of their holes halfway through weaving an intricate wicker pattern. After the top part is done you can select the wires to weave together for legs and then clip the others shorter and bend them under to hold, or clip them flush and drip a drop of superglue or epoxy to hold them in place(or both).

What a great project to keep you busy in bed while your tummy heals.

...I think the wires go on through for stability in weaving, the last thing I'd want is to have the wires come out of their holes halfway through weaving an intricate wicker pattern. After the top part is done you can select the wires to weave together for legs and then clip the others shorter and bend them under to hold, or clip them flush and drip a drop of superglue or epoxy to hold them in place(or both).

What a great project to keep you busy in bed while your tummy heals.

I haven't done much wicker at all - basically one chair.. ok and a plant stand but that was a hole other ball game :blink: - on my chair some of the holes went all the way through the base board and some did not. I think it really depends on where they are - for example my wicker chair has wicker that go all the way around the back above the seat for arms and back and below the seat for legs and some wicker work in between.. to cary the below seat leve wicker work around to the front there needed to be the wires in the front but putting them through and clipping off at the top of the seat wouldn't have looked very good - that's where the holes only go half way through. All we did was glue the wires in place - let them dry then go ahead and weave - the weaving really helped stablize them because unlike everyone else in the class I couldn't wait for the glue to fully dry before weaving ;) even so I didn't encounter any problems with the wires that only went half way through the wood

-David

post-86-1145459682_thumb.jpg

Nutti, don't use super glue to hold the wires in or to finish it off. If you are going to paint the cradle the paint won't look good over the superglue.And sometimes the wood sucks up the superglue and doesn't hold tight. I use wood glue to hold the wires in place and let it set over night before you start weaving. Aileens will hold the cord after you are done but only use a small amount. It will show under the paint also. I don't know what cake wire is.I use cloth covered floral wire and 1/8th basswood for 1/12 scale and 1/16 for half scale. Mount board might bend or crease.

If you run into problems let me know if I can help. Have fun

terri

I'm glad you got the book, nutti. I've done most of the patterns and I have substituted basswood with mount board just to see the difference. I actually prefer the mount board which you can get at any picture framing place or Michaels. Saves me having to use the saw to cut my pieces. The mount board you can cut with scissors. I use a little hand drill for the holes and I use wood glue for my glue. It's ok not to go right through the board when drilling but definitely let the glue set overnight. The wires will stay put. I use regular 18 gauge floral wire that isn't covered (can get at Michael's) and I like to use yarns to weave with. Good luck and most of all, have fun!

Forgot: do get a good pair of wire cutters though, very important.

hey thanks! sent my mum off to HL and she brought me back floral wire and mountboard.

I have some balsa wood here the thread she bought was #10 is this too big or to small?

I hated sending her but Im so eager to get started!

the kit I bought used a waxed cord and zap a gap was the glue recomended and used.

I havent tried to paint it so Im not sure how it will look.

this is something I can do while langushing on my throne. ;)

starting with laundry basket and working up to chaise lounge or the bed!

a supply list and where to buy these items would be so helpful!

thanks for replying!

Also, our Walmart stores here in Ontario have a picture framing place so I get my floral wires and mount board there. Make sure your wires are thick enough so as not to bend. I like to use different colored yarns for weaving only because then I don't have to paint.

Sorry for posting a second time.

Wendy

I have seen Terri work and looking at her details really intemidate me. I am Amazed at how wonderful yours look too David. Lynette, get those pictures posted (After you get better will be quick enough). I am amazed at all of you with this wonderful patience and talent! :blink:

please dont be sorry I need all the help I can get!

I am very eager to start my first project!

going to try the bathroom Laundry basket first than a storage basket than a pet bed.

start small and work my way up to something more fun!

I want a houseful of furniture also...you and Teri have inspired me!

I am using blue thread.

the wires mum got for me was 22 gauge and the thread is #10

and I think Ill use the zapagap glue I got for the kit to put my wires in place!

not one of them moved when I was weaving the cradle.

I have seen Terri work and looking at her details really intemidate me. I am Amazed at how wonderful yours look too David. Lynette, get those pictures posted (After you get better will be quick enough). I am amazed at all of you with this wonderful patience and talent! :)

Tracy you're so sweet - I am pretty happy with my chair, all things considered, but it's a far Far cry from the beautiful work that Terri does and as far as all of us having wonderful patience goes - you do realize you're not including me in that right? lol I've been having this conversation with Terri via PM - she's been trying to convince me to do more wicker but the Only reasons I've made my own wicker stuff is 1. I can't afford to buy it already made and 2.. with the chair the rest of club is working on the same thing and I didn't want to look like a chicken (bwak bwak) ;)

Don't be intimidated! Just look at my chair and know that you couldn't do any worse :) ... that's meant to be encouraging :blink::)

-David

Don't be intimidated! Just look at my chair and know that you couldn't do any worse :) ... that's meant to be encouraging :blink: ;)

-David

Why the self-doubt young Jedi? Actually your chair looks mighty fine, you should be proud of it. That aint easy to do, remember that. I couldn't do it I can tell ya. Not got the patience.

David, Your chair looks good. I know you can do it. Don't say you don't have patience. I've seen the fingers on those dolls you make. Now THAT takes patience. If I made a doll it would need to wear mittens!

terri

Terri,

Those fingers on the green witch dolls I made last year?... I cheated and used a clay gun (extruder?) :blink: That's how patient I am ;)

-David

20 gauge wrapped wire is too big

18 gauge wire is to big

cant find 24 gauge wire wrapped or unwrapped

can anyone see my dissapointment

so far I have about 30$ into this with nothing to show for it.

not happy camper!

DH has cut me the base's for 4 beginner projects and I am so unhappy about the wires

the thread Im happy with!

please advise...and remember I am still laid up...actually I had to wait for them all to be gone to get on this thing to whine....better call the WAAAAAA :blink: -mbulance! :unsure:

nutti :D

Okay, now David, tell me more about this clay gun! What size dohickey do I need? I am gonna make a mermaid for my Enchanted Lighthouse and the fingers look SO hard to do!!

As regards to the fact of you thinking your wicker does not look good, I think you are fishing for more compliments :unsure: You did a Super Terrific Job!! Like Andrew, I am not so sure I would have the patience and I think sometimes, it is better to BUY these items from the pros that do an excellent job in this. I would save my money to have a cradle from Terri! Or a canopy bed! Or Davids chair!

I Love it!! :D

20 gauge wrapped wire is too big

18 gauge wire is to big

cant find 24 gauge wire wrapped or unwrapped...

Nutti I wish I could tell you where to get wire but so far I've been buying kits and all the wire and thread comes in the kit. I did check on waxed linnen thread and none of our craft shops carry any - I didn't even think to check about the wrapped wire to see if they have it or not. I'm thinking you may have to go with an online source. I bet Terri knows where to get it :D And you'd better be taking care of yourself and not over doing things young lady :D cause we all care about you :unsure: and want you to get well!

<hugs>

Okay, now David, tell me more about this clay gun! What size dohickey do I need? I am gonna make a mermaid for my Enchanted Lighthouse and the fingers look SO hard to do!!

Tracy - you're so sweet :lol: really not fishing for compliments in the photo the chair doesn't look too bad.. for a first try but in person it's... lopsided - that's ok just makes it look well used! Thankfully it's going in a rustic setting! :blink: The clay gun is one I got at the craft store in the polymerclay isle - it looks like a metal syringe with different disks that go on the end. I used the one with a single hole - the biggest hole and used that to make the fingers - it's miserable to try to push the clay through though, hard on your hands so it has to be Really well worked clay then I just made spatulas shapes for the hands - thin- and laid the fingers over the backs of the hands pressing down to make the tendonds and veins of the back of the hands and that's how I attached the fingers. It was real simple but I wasn't as happy with the results as I was for making the fingers individually the way Carrington does - his method is really the best I've tried so far - another way is to make the fingers individually on wires then after the fingers are formed wrap your 5 finger wires together to form a sort of skeletal hand and flesh out with clay. That definitely makes the fingers stronger - using the clay gun to make them they turn out very brittle, something I didn't realize when trying that method. Hope this helps some.

-David

the fingers look SO hard to do!!
When I get the hands & feet shaped & sized the way I want I go back with the craft knife and cut through to make the fingers & toes and very gently use my fingers to shape the square cut edges round. I have several small dental-pick type tools I use to help the sculpting, as well as different sized needles & pins, so I can go back & sculpt carpal joints and metacarpal bony backs, veining on elderly dolls and the knuckles & creases and fingernails on the dorsal parts and the crases on the palms. If I want bare feet I repeat the process (MUCH shorter :lol: ) for the toes, then I shape the metatarsal & transverse arches on the soles and the ankles. None of it hard, just time-consuming.

For me the hard part comes when I'm not sure what the doll wants to be doing with his (or her) hands, since the last thing I do before baking is to pose the fingers. I make bare feet on the modern ladies to put them in zori type footwear, and on babies. All the Roman Claudians in the atrium have bare feet.

another way is to make the fingers individually on wires then after the fingers are formed wrap your 5 finger wires together to form a sort of skeletal hand and flesh out with clay. That definitely makes the fingers stronger

The only potential problem with this method is that if for any reason the wire metal should corrode it'll ruin the doll. I vaguely remember seeing a link to a picture of a truly gorgeous artisan doll that happened to. Yuck!