Adding On To Beacon Hill - Webshots

Guest Valerie

I was looking at her BH kit bashing project just yesterday evening. Today I had been mulling over whether or not to bring it up. I'm not fond of it ... it doesn't even resemble the Beacon Hill anymore. The stately staircase has been removed. I think that the Beacon Hill is perfect the way that it was designed. I'm sure glad that my BH isn't in the computer room, she wouldn't be very pleased to have seen these pictures. (shhh! she doesn't even know that kit-bashing goes on) She's led a very protected life.

-Susanne

Wow! That is really something!! It seems to me it has lost some of it's charm though, but to each her own!!

:D I'm definitely going to follow the progress!!

Makes me think that adding the conservatory onto the kitchen isn't such a big deal!! :D Which by the way, I finally purchased at the 50% off HBS sale! Woo Hoo!! Now, I just have to get through spring cleaning and gardening to get started on it!! :D

I don't know, it seems a bit out of proportion to me and there are no features for the eye to focus on anymore. The Beacon hill is a stunning house and I think the extension on this one just completely takes over the original design and doesn't complement it.

It's like someone has just got a kit and put it together without thinking it through but that's just my opinion. Who knows It might look great once it's finished.

Teresa -

I think that adding on the conservatory to the Beacon Hill would look stunning. I don't have anything against kit bashing. I think in most cases it personalizes the dollhouses, but sometimes too much can take away the charm of the original design. I've often thought of adding onto my Beacon Hill kitchen. My dh objects strongly. He thinks that my dad's work shouldn't be touched. Me, I'm into a little messing with his work. Looking forward to seeing you work the conservatory into the kitchen.

-Susanne

In this case, even though the bashing is remarkable, I don't know if I would mess with the BH's design. Though I understand her plans as she explains them, it's supposed to be a huge Victorian w/ a courtyard, it kind of takes away from the features of the kit. I'm quite sure it is going to look wonderful, but why not just scratch build? But that's what bashing is all about, making the house your own.

It looks like some of the real Victorian homes I've seen-need some more rooms?Just add on!Some of them are a real conglomeration of styles,whatever was in vogue at the time that particular section was added on.I like how she continues her Mansard roofs and little rounded dormer windows on the additions.It'll be interesting to watch her progress.I've got the 1/2 inch scale lighthouse kit and like how she did the interior of her lighthouse,too.

That's some pretty radical modification, and it seems to be very well done. Not to my taste in design, but you can't help but appreciate the skill and care that's gone into it.

Hello,

Thanks so much for posting this webshots page. I have been wanting to add on to the beacon hill, and have been trying to draw out plans to see what it will look like. Seeing it done is always so much better.

I like what she has done to the beacon hill, I think that as soon as siding goes on and the windows trim and such it will begin to look more victorian. That's the fun of building your own house, you can do whatever you want.

I love that she did the masard roof too, thats what i plan also.

We finally move into our new house at the end of the month, yeh. I will have a space to start the beacon hill after waiting all this time. Yeh.

Well i will post pics when i get my new craft room set up and start work, and i cant forget the pour arthur too. Wow it's been under renovation for years now. LOL

Jenn