1:12 molds for dolls?

Lisa_F

I would like to try my hand at making a doll with polymer clay. I have absolutely no talent (yet) when it comes to working with clay :) so I would like to find a mold (one that would be good for a beginner) for forming the various doll parts. Making one free-form at this stage is out of the question for me - I haven't even mastered making a dollhouse plate free-hand! :lol:

I've been trying to search online for molds that would work for dollhouse dolls for a good portion of the morning, but I'm not having a lot of luck. So I must not be using the right search queries. The only one I've found was House of Caron, and while many of the dolls on that site are amazing, they are a bit pricey (and sophisticated) for something I just want to "play around with" to see if I will even like doing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for looking for molds?

Thanks!

Lisa

There are some face (and hand & feet) molds available not expensively at the big craft stores in their polymer clay section, They seem to be 1:12 because I made ancestral masks for my atrium with them.

I had so much fun sculpting my first dolls "freehand" and such interesting responses I haven't used the molds. I do refer to James Carrington's book, though, and it is a great help.

Thank you :lol: I believe I've seen those molds in our local craft stores myself - I just didn't realize they would work for dollhouse size dolls. Now I just gotta find arms, legs & body molds :)

Lisa

arms, legs & body molds

No, you use chenille stems/ pipe cleaners for the armatures, wrap them with polyester fiberfill and then with strips of gauze bandaging material for the limbs & bodies to make simple poseable dolls.

Hi Lisa,

Holly is right - for those simple molds that you can find at the craft store just use wire or pipe cleaner and cover with fiberfill to "flesh out" - some of the molds are the right size and some arent - there is one that is sort of rubbery looking that has a variety of faces in it - 2 sets of hands and 2 sets of feet (one set for adults and one for kids). I think the mold with all the faces hands and feet runs about 7$ or so - cheap.

If you're looking for a full mold it's going to cost quite a bit more but check out ebay - I've seen a few dollmakers selling molds there. If you know of any ceramic shops that might have the right sized doll molds you can also use those - just use it as a 2 piece press mold - if you can pick up a used ceramic mold the chances of it being less cost goes up - especially if it's at all damaged or washed out - you can build up the features or even replace the faces with faces from the cheap molds so a well used body mold will still give you the shape you want. - just another option.

-David

I got my mold off of e-bay

it was a fairy doll mold...I was browsing the artis offering listing looking for Halloween miniatures

or something like that.

now that I will be feeling better I have it in my mind to make my own wizard/knight to live in my Lighthouse.

with sunnyrayes OWL!

tonight I will work on all my photos for sharing....I have been a bad eyecandy poster er! lol

I plead good pain pills.

perhaps if I think of it again or reminded I could look through my clay box and find the webpage for ya....but I am not responsible for my actions at this time. so I wont promise.

good luck finding them!

nutti :)

Sue Heaser's book on sculpting & dressing polymer clay dolls has patterns for the full bodies, I traced them off and use them in a general way to make the bodies, I began by laying the clay against the tracing to get the basic proportions and then added or removed clay to get the finshed effect. From there I went back to my figure-drawing art classes to get the proportions more correct with reference to head & face sizes relative to the rest of the body parts. Now I generally try James Carrington's method of copying people I see.

The new DHM has a artical on using the molds.

I found mine at Michels used a coupon and got it for $3.00

A hint in the artical was after filling the heads in the mold

to put it in the frezzer for a couple of min. and the heads

will pop right out