Primer (another primer question)

sammything

Okay, so I haven't TOUCHED the house since January, but cruising around this place, and a new catalog, AND finishing my last term paper brought me back to it (Coventry Cottage). I've sealed and sanded a couple pieces, and while others are lined up, am considering primer.

For those of you that prime (I'm not doing any staining, all paint and finishes) do you sand after you prime?

Thanks,

Lori

I sand really well before priming so there's usually not a need to sand after priming, although I do sand some areas after priming if the need arises.

Depends on the look you're after. If you've brushed on primer and want a really smooth look then sand. If you want a hand painted (brushed) look then I'd go over it with 4-0 (four-O, four-zero, whatever) steel wool just to knock the high parts down. BTW, after you've sealed the wood with primer you can get it wet, so I'd go with 3 or 4 coats of white latex, fine sand dry, 320 or so grit, then re-apply the white, by hand, then wet sand 400 to 600 grit, then a couple of shot coats, re-wet sand 600 grit, then a final 2 or 3 blown coats of your colour of choice. IF you want a real smooth finish. It goes without saying that for gloss you'd end the whole thing with 3 or 4 coats of Future shot from the gun. :D

Of course that's just my approach, others may vary.

I read in one of the many books I got at the library that you can sand with brown paper bag. I was like Huh? but I tried it and it does give a nice soft sand finish.

Returning to the spray primer, issue...

Do not mix brands of spray primer on the same object!

I ran out of my trusty Rustoleum. DH went to the hardware store and brought home Krylon. Spray-spray-spray... and the paint seizes up in a crackle effect.

Blue words were spoken. Not at DH, who had no reason to expect the paints to be incompatible, but at the paint manufacturers.

Thanks for the advice. House is in the garage, with 2 coats of primer, waiting for sanding. I'm SOOO excited! Will possibly have a wall or two up by next weekend. While I;m an independent soul, hubby is helping with the priming.. I'm clumsy on a good day, and while my foot is in a boot it's been terrible. I accepted his offer of assistance, and he is doing a bang up job..not bad for a boy! ;)