3 days into this hobby...

caitriona

I've been hovering around here for a year or so now, eyeing up the houses, and I kept chickening out of pressing the 'buy' button on miniatures.com; I finally did it last week and on Thursday my Arthur arrived! Luckily I had a 3-day weekend for Paddy's Day, because I spent the whole weekend working on it - it's now fully assembled and looking good in a preliminary coat of white paint. I can't believe how satisfying it is to see it coming together like this!

I'm so pleased, in fact, that I've already bought an Orchid on ebay and I'm planning to get myself a Beacon Hill in the HBS sale in April (I've wanted one for more than a year; the Arthur is really just a test run to see if I could cope). Next April, I'm definitely getting a Garfield (regardless of future dh's objections to the jaw-dropping size of the thing!). And I might have to have a Lily at some stage. And the Dolls House Emporium's Grosvenor Hall would be fun too... :angry:

Thanks to you all for building such inspiring houses, and inadvertently talking me into the most expensive hobby ever invented ;)

Congratulations on the Arthur Caitriona! Isn't that a wonderful house?! It goes together so smoothly and is so pretty! Congrats on the Orchid as well, and your decision to get the Beacon Hill too! I can't wait to see some pictures!

Hi Caitriona, you will experience that high everytime you receive a new house. It's always so exciting to begin a new project and especially when a new kit arrives. Congrats on receiving your Arthur and your whole new life style with miniatures.

Looking forward to pictures.

Wendy

I've been hovering around here for a year or so now, eyeing up the houses, and I kept chickening out of pressing the 'buy' button on miniatures.com; I finally did it last week and on Thursday my Arthur arrived! ;)

I can't believe how fast you can get a delivery in the United States? I placed an order on HBS Miniatures on March 10th, paid for a FedEx delivery ... and I'm still waiting!! I'm jealous. :angry:

Susanne

It's because shipping to Canada is "international shipping", I had all sorts of hoops to jump through getting the Secret Santa box to Susanne. At least I remembered to write "GIFT" on the box so it wouldn't spend three months in customs!

Holly -

You were the greatest as my Secret Santa. I KNOW how frustrating it can be to mail something to Canada. You wouldn't believe the excitement in my house when the postman, FedEx or Purolator truck pulls up!! I usually beat them to the door!! I have a drawer in kitchen with twenties, tens, fives, toonies, loonies, quarters .... ready to pay whatever customs might be due! I don't mind paying the customs duty (give to Caesar what is Caesars), I just wish they wouldn't hold my parcels up so long. What do they think I'm ordering? Mini bombs? LOL :angry:

Susanne

As most dolls house enthusiasts will tell you. This hobby is very addictive so you have been warned.

What is even worse is that Greenleaf and Corona concepts make such gorgeous houses. I already have The Buttercup, Orchid and Beacon Hill. ;)

Oh and marriage counselling might be recommended (if you are married that is) once your houses start to replace the man in your life. :angry:

Who needs a man when you can have a Beacon hill in your bedroom?

nice to see you back and posting caitriona! I do so love your name(my daughters name also)

and so exciting that you bit the bullit and ordered that first house!

now if you been hovering around here for a year you know how much we need our eyecandy fix...so where are the photos? :angry:

The Arthur is such a sweet little house! I just love mine!

cant wait to see what you do with yours!

nutti ;)

Thanks to you all for building such inspiring houses, and inadvertently talking me into the most expensive hobby ever invented :angry:

Most expensive hobby? Try restoring vintage Ferraris. I approached Live Steam Models about a 6" scale Burrell Showman's engine, I couldn't afford the catalogue. And I've bought a Grosvenor for someone else, don't waste your money. You want to spend a lot of dosh? Go Real Good Toys. Their products blow Dollshouse Emporium stuff out of the water.

Doogster> To be honest I think Dollshouse Emporium sells awful things :angry:

I have bought little bits and pieces from there which I custom designed and the doll houses they sell look so square and boring, and the price that you pay is just ridiculous. I'd rather put in alot of hard work sanding and clamping than bothering with a dolls house that has absolutely no character.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone - this site always brings a smile to my face : )

Susanne, would you believe I'm in Ireland?! I couldn't believe how quickly the house turned up; usually I wait a week for stuff from the UK, never mind the US! I know how you feel though, I've experienced customs delays with cameras and it's terrible!

Doogster, don't go mentioning more expensive hobbies, you'll get me curious and then who knows what'll happen! (The internet's a dangerous thing when you've nothing to do in work every day but surf for hours!) Thanks for the warning about the Grosvenor Hall, though it's unlikely I could ever justify spending that much on a house anyway :D (and I'm not sure about Real Good Toys houses, I've completely failed to fall in love with any of them)

It's true that the Dollshouse Emporium houses (and all English ones, from what I've seen) are a bit boring; I don't get it - I know that real architecture in this end of the world tends to keep away from the more gingerbready and exuberant end of the scale but it's not all completely boring. And you'd think that since dollshouses are self-contained fantasy universes, they'd show a little more imagination designing them :D But with the Grosvenor Hall, what you could do to the inside would be so spectacular that you'd never look at the outside!

As for photos, I'm afraid I don't have any yet - despite the fact that I usually have my camera with me constantly, ever since the Arthur arrived I haven't picked it up - I can't seem to stop working on the house! It's not very photogenic yet anyway, it's got no porch and it's all white. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with it; I'm half thinking about giving it to my fiance's niece for her birthday, as her sister has one that their grandad (my future FIL) made from scratch for their mum years ago. If she does want it, it'll probably be a vet's office or something, as she loves animals. In fact, it might be that anyway - it's already had two cats in it. Éanna (my other half) was very tickled at the 'attack of the giant killer cats' look - I imagine once it's furnished the camera and the cats will be busy for an afternoon!

and I'm not sure about Real Good Toys houses, I've completely failed to fall in love with any of them

Same here. On our first long trip after retiring we were in VT and spent one afternoon in Barre trying to find the RGT "factory". It's not. What we FINALLY found is a small grubby warehouse with a small office. I don't think their kits are made in the US, & I read somewhere they're farmed out overseas, so that's another reason I prefer Greenleaf & Corona Concepts kits.

The only DHE kit that ever came close to tempting me (and the price was astronomic for our budget) was the Charles Rennie MacIntosh house kit.

The only DHE kit that ever came close to tempting me (and the price was astronomic for our budget) was the Charles Rennie MacIntosh house kit.

Now that you mention it, that's another one I'd love to get my hands on! I like a couple of other in their Heritage Collection too though - Fairbanks and the Lutyens house, which is as far from the boxy English dollshouse style as the most frivolously befrilled Queen Anne. I love the chimneys.

I have the Grosvenor Hall (thanks to Doogster). :D It is overpriced that is for sure. I absolutely love the exterior and you get lovely components (windows, doors) with the package, very nice components actually. That is part of what drives up the cost. The house is MASSIVE! I am currently building it. And as this will be the most expensive house that i ever plan to buy, I plan to do a top quality job on it and it is the house that will house my nicest pieces of furniture. I have no idea where to put it after i build it. I don't want the cats to use it as a rubbing post, so i cant sit it on the floor. It's too big to sit on top of anything. I'll deal with that dilema later tho. The downside is definately the cost. Not so sure it was worth the amount of money i bought it for, especially considering that a few weeks later it went on sale for hundreds of dollars less than i paid for it. But that's another story. It is boxy and some of the rooms i plan to add angles to create interest. It's going to be a very lovely house to build tho...truly the exterior is impressive. The SIZE is impressive. Would I buy it again? Probably not.

I love RGT's due to their awesome materials....tho most of RGT's houses have a plain look about them as compared to greenleaf or duracraft. I still find RGT's to be my favorite and would much rather build plywood kits above anything else. But with so many pretty and cute kits out there, i couldn't ignore them and had to buy them!...just need to get some hand protection from the splinters! Margarita

btw Caitriona, welcome! and it is truly an addicting hobby. I think about this hobby morning, noon and night. Everyday. It's an obsession really. I think that we all feel the same about this hobby! I love your avatar!

I love your avatar!

You really do love cats then! That's Tabby (or Tabs, Tib, Tiblet, BunnyPaws, WrigglyFish, or any number of other equally silly names!). She's almost two now, but that photo was taken when we first got her and she was a little nervous of people.

Now she and her adopted sister Mittens (Mitzy, MuttonChop, FlumpHead, Fluffy McCushion, BlunkFeatures - the list goes on...) rule the roost in our house, and are the most friendly, loving, tempermental, bossy and rewarding pets we could ever have asked for, and we're totally besmitten with them.

post-293-1142954554_thumb.jpg

post-293-1142954570_thumb.jpg

post-293-1142954591_thumb.jpg

You really do love cats then! That's Tabby (or Tabs, Tib, Tiblet, BunnyPaws, WrigglyFish, or any number of other equally silly names!). She's almost two now, but that photo was taken when we first got her and she was a little nervous of people.

Now she and her adopted sister Mittens (Mitzy, MuttonChop, FlumpHead, Fluffy McCushion, BlunkFeatures - the list goes on...) rule the roost in our house, and are the most friendly, loving, tempermental, bossy and rewarding pets we could ever have asked for, and we're totally besmitten with them.

Beautiful babies!!!!! Cute names as well :D

Hi Caitriona,

I'm a bit late adding in my welcome here but just wanted to say Welcome :lol: Glad you're enjoying your first house. This is definitely an addicting hobby and a really genuinely fun one! :lol: Looking forward to seeing what you do with your new house :o

On the RGT subject -I've only built one RGT house and that's my lighthouse. While I love the lighthouse and the extra bits of real wood stuff that goes on it.. it's definitely not priced for the budget minded. I didn't really enjoy working with the MDF either. I'm not a big fan of MDF. If it hadn't been close to 70% off I wouldn't have bought it. Now that I have it I do love it but I can't see spending that much to buy another one. I guess it's all in what you get used to - I'm used to the die cut houses and I really like them - easy to assemble (most of them) easy to bash and durable. Play sturdy and collector worthy. :lol: And I'm afraid I'm hugely budget minded - I want the most bang for my buck and to have something I can really make a one of a kind individual piece. I'm not sure I'd want to try hacking up a wall in an MDF house :D .. at least not with my dremel. heh :D

LOVE the photos of your cats. Those callicos are gorgeous!

-David

Kitties!!!

The only RGT house I really like-like is the half-scale lighthouse, and that's because it's so bizarre. And the matching keeper's cottage is an extremely handy piece if you want to build a half-scale shop real fast.

I was soooo excited when they came out with new half-scale kits a couple years ago -- but the 1:24 Vermont Farmhouse Jr. was not as nice as the 1980s Houseworks equivalent, and the rooms weren't sized for standard Town Square 1:24 furniture sets. So I'm back to contemplating my 1980s American Craft Products kits for half-scale.

My breaking point with the RGT Victorian Cottage Jr. project was when my Arthur turned out to have better second-floor head room, plus I could pick it up and carry it around! The Arthur does have smaller rooms, but I'm getting smarter about when and how to delete staircases and unwanted interior doors from GL kits.

I'm with Holly on being tempted by the DHE Mackintosh kit... but we'd just never afford it. If I positively had to do Arts and Crafts, I'd probably redo the interior of my Arthur so I could spend the money on furniture.

The next time I'm in the mood to build 1:12, it's going to be the McKinley, as a wall house is just about what my space can handle.

The hobby is addictive, isn't it? I too have an Arthur that I'm still in the process of finishing. If you have a problem with the stairs, that's easy enough to fix. I enclosed my stairs so it would look more like a pokey english cottage stairs, then added some bulstrades, and a wall made of some balsa wood. This gave me room for a sink underneath the stairs--I wanted it to look like a cottage that had 'modernized' itself with running water. :lol:

I think with RGT, GL, and DHE it all comes down to what look you wish. The RGT's are great for a complete, finished look, also, my husband loves working with MDF, and prefers it. I love bashing--so the Greenleaf & Corona kits are perfect for that type of customizing. DHE is expensive, but I love their barn, and the Magpies and Jenny Wren shop--they are so cute and really are convenient if you have cats like alot of us here do. These kits close and open from the front, which keeps the little stuff in, and the cats' paws off! :lol: My cat Henry loves getting into the dollhouses and dragging out stuff. I have seen some wonderful artisan quality work done with the grosvenor hall, but the price fits the collector adult. It is also a beautiful, massive house. Another english type dollshouse I love is the Olde English dollhouse company, their little tea shop, antique shop, is just adorable. I love shops, can't you tell? :D

I haven't ever had any problems with shipping to Canada, fill out a custom form, and I have known it to be there within 2 weeks at the latest. I've shipped a couple of kits to Canada, and they make it just fine. You just have to really do your research when shipping to them, that's all. The UK is the same. I would never use UPS to ship there--talk about overpricing! :D I couldn't believe how much they wanted to ship a kit over there. USPS is the way to go.

I think people have hit the nail on the head. It all depends on what you're looking for. If you want big dollar (or pound, euro, Franc etc) simply glue it together and finish it houses then RGT buries DHE for price (you can get 3 Foxhalls for the price of 1 Grosvenor) and quality, most RGT houses are cabinet grade plywood, and that stuff is schweet, even their MDF is smoother than DHE's, and DHE's houses are all MDF. MDF is still good to work with but is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than cabinet grade plywood to buy. A lot more sanding needed on a DHE kit.

For design and style, Greenleaf has it all over everyone except Lawbre, and since they sell only premade shells that cost about as much as a good used car I won't include them. Heck, I might as well include Noel Thomas' customs in that case, they're only 30 or so grand. Greenleaf makes the most interesting houses INMSHO by a mile. I don't think anything RGT or DHE makes comes close to the design of the Garfield or the Pierce (I won't get a Pierce since it's essentially a small Garfield). Or the Glencroft, Beacon Hill. And hey! Anyone can afford a Greenleaf kit. Even on the most fixed budget anyone can save up and get a Garf. As for the extra work needed to build one, to quote (with his blessing BTW) David Merriman 'it's not supposed to be easy'. And look at it as a challenge, an opportunity to learn new techniques. F'rinstace I never used a router before, I've been rounding off the stair uprights with a mini router bit in the Dremel, and it really looks great. It's a lot of work, doing both sides, hey on the stairs you can see the 'bad side' then sanding. And the shapes of the cutouts make all this a challenge. Gonna need to be hand painted a few times with my cheap satin white interior then finish sanded to get rid of the grain before spraying the final colour. Haven't decided what that's going to be yet. I'd put all my thought into the exterior and it turns out you build this thing from the inside out. :D

Bugger.