mortar

heidiiiii

you can buy small containers of premixed mortar, or a box of it in powder form...i have these items down in the family room....no energy to look up their names tho...sorry.

Good morning Hidi

I went to the book :( Itsaid they placed the brick on the wall first.

Then went back and filled the gaps with grout that you use with tile

They made a little thinner, than you would use as for tile work.Then with a 1/2" wide

stiff bristled brush brush it on, then wiped the face of the brick off with a wet rag.

some of the color will stay on the brick for a more realistic look.

With the grout you can get any color you want.

Sounds like a good thing to me.

Donna

You can use just about anything that will set hard for grout, plaster, spackle or caulk or even mortar. You can thin it and apply it like frosting with a pastry bag (I wonder if the waxedpaper cone I learned to use would work?)

Holly

That method would work great ,DH is a stone mason and he uses a big old grout bag it looks like a over sized cake decorating bag.

As for the waxedpaper it would do good, but I don't think it would hold up as well as parchment would. Waxedpaper tends to lose its strength when it becomes wet. How about a zip- lock bag instead you can cut the corner to just the size you need ( I used this and a cake decroating tip to make the decroative molding in one of the rooms. I used the joint compound piped it on waxed paper and let it dry over night .Worked great).

Thanks!

I am doing two things. I have a 1 inch space going around bottom of house to make a lil foundation (after I am done with siding), and I bought a cupola and I am going to cover it in brick.

I have grout. That saves me money.

The kit had a couple baggies of mini bricks in it.

How about a zip- lock bag instead you can cut the corner to just the size you need ( I used this and a cake decroating tip to make the decroative molding in one of the rooms. I used the joint compound piped it on waxed paper and let it dry over night .Worked great).

Zip-lock bag! Technology has advanced since I last did any cake decorating, can you tell? :) I'm inspired to experiment for the McKinley & Lily ;) :(

You need a cereal box, your choice of paint colors and scissors or rotary cutter. If you use more than one box make sure they are the same thickness.

Open the box so it lays flat and the unprinted side is up. I painted a base color of red. Remember the colors will be darker so you may want to do a test. When the red is dry lightly swipe green and white on top. The green turned almost a black because of the red on mine. Remember these are only accents so don't go wild. You will end up with some bricks that are totally the accent colors and some that are whispy. You can do a white stripe over a green if you want, or the other way around. The smaller ends and tabs are a great place to do tests. After all the paint is dry mark off your bricks lightly with a pencil. Mine are 3/4 by 1/4 inch. Use scissors or rotary cutter to cut the bricks. When ready glue them to the wall or floor. If you want you can draw lines on the wall or floor to keep your rows staight. I just eye balled mine. After the glue is dry put sealer over the whole thing. After the sealer is dry spread in your grout. I sealled it agian after the grout was dry.

I have pics of these bricks in my webshots under the hat shop. I had to put my webshots back up untill the gallery thing gets fixed so I can start a new album. If you have any questions just ask. :)

I have a 25lb. bag of mortar I use for the bricks. If they are real bricks, why not use real mortar? My house has over 6,500 bricks used for foundation footings and fireplaces/chimneys. If you mix mortar too wet it will retract and leave a deep groove between the bricks. I glue the bricks first and use a rubber pad for application of the mortar. Use a circular motion to ensure that the mortar fills the space. Another method I have used is an empty elmer's glue bottle. The mortar has to be relatively wet to use and requires a bit of squeezing. (I used to be a tile setter so I just miniaturized the methods.) Hope that helps!