New to 1:12 scale...starting with Westville home used

Tiasdolls

Hello. I just received the Westville home for my birthday. It is used. It has already been put together. The rooms have been papered and the floors have paper and even linoleum! It is totally dirty and needs serious TLC. The outside does not have any siding. No lights anywhere too. Where do I begin? :blink:

I know I need to clean off the dirt, dust and grime. Then I will start to pull off paper and linoleum. Are there any "watch out for..." concerns?

I think the next step is to do the lighting followed by the siding. Is siding possible with the house already assembled?

Any recommendations on books for lighting?

Oh my, I think I've just hit the OVERWHELMED stage! :yes:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

...Tiasdolls

1043house002-med.jpg

1043house001-med.jpg

I rehabbed a very dirty Westville too! The siding idea was too much for me on an already built house so I spray painted the whole thing white since that would be the trim color. Spray paint gets all the nooks and crannies on this house! Then I masked off all of the trim, and used a textured spray paint for a stucco look. Here's some pics if you're interested:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?autocom=gallery&req=si&img=28572

Have fun with the Westville! It's a great house!

The doesn't look like too much done to the inside, so that is good. It would be very hard to side the outside with so much trim. You would have to remove the shutters and rails and some of the other trim. I myself would go for it and just plan on replacing it. There are 2 types of wiring - round wire which is like real house wire and tape wire which is tape. There is a tutorial here by darrell on tapewire. You don't have to wire. Just use fake lights.

Thanks so much for the replies Caroline and Deanna. I went and looked at the provided gallery on a redone Westville. I love the colors (red and blue). Very nicely done. I will look at the wiring tuturials as soon as I find where they're hidden. It takes a little while to get used to this site.

If it were me (and especially if the house is put together with hot glue) I try to disassemble the house as much as possible and clean the pieces and strip what needs stripping and essentially start over again with the build.

I agree with Havanaholly, taking it apart will make it much easier in the long run. I've done this and if you are careful it works out fine. Remember, you can always take any damaged pieces and cut out replacement pieces for them using the original as a template. I had to do a lot of that when I was bashing my Brookwood. But it worked fine. Also, try using a palette knife to separate the pieces. It's sturdy and won't do the damage that an exact-o knife will. It also won't slice any fingers off, well, not as easily at least....:congrats: And about the siding, I'm leaving that for the after I finish the interior. I just think it will be easier to make any adjustments necessary without having the siding already installed. At least that's how it works on paper.......lol

I would do the siding first only if you plan on putting a lighting fixture on the front porch. It will be easier to drill the hole thru the siding and house so you can thread the lighting fixture wires thru the wall to the tape wire on the other side of that wall. Then you can adhere the fixture to the siding. That is ONLY if you are going to put up a porch light outside.

It also makes sense to do that so you will know where to put the tapewire in that area and you will not nick the wire drilling a hole. I did that and I had burning wallpaper in the mini livingroom...LOL

Wow! Thanks again for the input on renovating the Westville. I did take a look at the wiring tutorial by Darrell. It's a little overwhelming if I kept reading :( . But I think if I just take it one step at a time, I should be ok.

I'm going to begin posting my progress on the house in a blog...now to find where I saw blogs..... eventually I'll find my way back here and provide the link.

I've placed some photos of each room before and after the removal of the paper.

Westville Renovation - Stage 1

Westville Renovation - Stage 2

paper finally came off using Windex and a scrapper. All the rooms are now bare and lightly sanded. I'm ready for the next step!

Wow, lucky you! (and Happy Belated Birthday!) . . . I love the Westville and hope to get one, myself, one of these days! I LOVE getting houses in the condition of yours . . . it is the PERFECT place to start! The tapewire will be super easy to install - you will wonder why you were ever worried about it! Like everybody else, I can hardly wait to see more pics!!!