Sphynx cats

Anya

Ok I have never been a lover of cats (don't beat me :) ) but there is one cat I adore. The sphynx. These hairless not err so pretty cats would be a perfect pet for me. They are strictly indoors (no killing birds), don't shed hair, feel like a peach and only need sponging down once a week and I think they look cool.

Being a very keen bird watcher and having a slight allergy to cat hair I think I would be very happy with one of these, if I can only make my family realise I am not insane for wanting one. :p

post-227-1141076982_thumb.jpg

Actually the Sphynx Cat is much prettier in real than in photos.

My neighbour's sister has a sphynx. The cat is very soft and has a loving disposition.

As they don't have an fur overcoat, just the undercoat ... you'll need to keep your house warm or put a sweater on the cat.

Susanne

Hi,

I wish I could answer your questions. I've only seen that breed at cat shows so I imagine they're probably pricey but I've heard that there is less allergic reaction to them than other cats and I can say having seen them in person (though it's been quite a few years ago) that I think they're beautiful! :)

-David

Picture makes me think of a shaved Siamese.. I dont know why. But I love cats and any cat, hairless or not is okay in my book.

Makes sense. I am sick of cleaning up hair! I should change my quote to "In our house Cat hair is a condiment!"

I think you can get sweaters and fleece jackets for pets at fairly reasonable prices. I bought one last Winter for my older cat, Dudley. Unfortunately, it was too small - he's quite a big cat. I never did get another one. He doesn't go outside very much anymore. He mostly likes to curl up somewhere warm.

Susanne

In my family, my sisters baby blanket was taken out of dead storage and given to our two siamese at the time...the furcloth throw that was made for them was not big enough for two cats comfortably. I would bet that polartec fleece would make a great cat/dog blanket or be sewn into a suitable coat/sweater for a Sphinx

My old pram blanket is a permanent resident on the back seat of my car as a seat cover

Ed

That cat is beautiful. Our cat smokie is part himalayen (sp) and persian. Hair everywhere and HATES to be brushed. I am working now on getting some matts out. hmmmmmmmm.......I think I might turn him into a lion (mane) or sphynx for the summer.

Sphynx cats are more beautiful in person. They always remind me of Egypt, and what cats would have been like in the time of the pharoahs....they do have sweet dispositions, and the + is no hair, or limited shedding. I have three shorthairs, and the indoor one is really clean, even though he's a tyrant with the minis! :rolleyes: (he has his own 'stash'--I still haven't found where he drags out these little minis we've forgotten about! :blink: )

You can buy a host of sweaters, coats, etc for pets nowadays. My greyhound Dee Dee, (they are all muscle and very little coat, so very little shedding-) has a little coat that resembles the racing jackets they wear at the track. Cats and dogs with this kind of coat always need a little extra layer to keep them warm.

Thanks for all the advice on the clothes ans things.

I am going to a cat show on the 9th of april and the woman who I am going to buy a sphynx off will be there. I am not buying one yet, of course. I have to get my house in order and wait for my little Autumn to finish going through her 'kicking things to see what they will do phase'. :)

I think this cat will be a lovely present and a good companion for my daughter.

It's a lovely cat, Wendi! Sometimes breeders will sell animals as "pets" only so that can lower the cost.

Good luck and let us know how you make out! :)

It's a lovely cat, Wendi! Sometimes breeders will sell animals as "pets" only so that can lower the cost.

Good luck and let us know how you make out! :D

The lady who I spoke to said she sells 'pet' and show cats. The pet cats are just as beautiful but not show quality. For example their ears might not be perfect or the tail might be slightly too long.

I'm not after a show cat, I don't mind how the cat looks as long, as he/she is healthy and happy. That's all that matters to me. :)

I do know that I definitely want a little boy (cat I mean).