skilcraft - nob hill

ilovecats

do you have a photo of this house?

I like the older house kits because they are no longer made.

makes them unique and interresting in my book!

nutti :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for answering my post :D That's why I liked it as well! I don't want to post the link from ebay because it has my ebay user name on it, but when I receive it, I will take digital photos and show them here. It's a 10 room Victorian and some of the components may have to go but I think after a little bashing, it should be a cool house. It has a neat structure. It says that it's made of precut wood, but personally I think it looks like a diecut kit. It will be alot of fun to dig into the box and see what's in there.....ooooo...hopefully the instructions will be present :blink::p Well that could be an adventure as well! Margarita

ilovecats, I just received my Skilcraft Colonial dollhouse this weekend. It also says pre-cut mahogany plywood.

I dont know the difference from die-cut and pre-cut but the wood is thick and smells great! (my dad had a woodworking shop when I was young and I loved the smell of real wood!)

It is labeled from 1978 (girl on cover is wearing a frilly pinafore dress, oh memories)

And I have my instructions. I know they are far different from your but they are very precise on how to assemble. Except for the fact that it says to use Elmer`s household glue for the body. I am not that stupid (at least not since I have come in here ;) ).

After i prime, I will be going to Lowe`s tomorrow (new store havent been in yet) to pick up Carpenter glue and more masking tape.

If it is as old as mine you will get a good giggle at the wallpaper they include. I was lucky to find that the wainscoting is still included and hasnt even been opened.

Good Luck and we can share our vintage progress!

Thanks Lyn! As soon as the kit arrives i'll post some pictures of it. Yes, vintage does have a certain attraction...just "different" from what is out there now. Thanks for the info Heidi I can't wait to see pic's of your house and it's going to be sooo much fun to dig into my kit and see what's there! The kit has some plastic pieces so they may have to go, but it does say that it's a wood kit....this is going to be fun!!!!!! Post pictures!!!! Margarita

My house arrived today! Definately a die cut kit! It's hard to tell if everything is there, the schematics aren't numbered but the sheets are. One sheet doesn't look like any of the schematics! :):p Looks like someone started the house, there are loose pieces. I do think it's intact tho, it still has the cheesy plastic siding (THAT IS GOING)!!!! and the roofing material is large pieces of black construction paper with diecut strips...hmmmm....trash can!!!! It looks like it will be an awesome house and with some minor changes it will look as good as the picture! Okay better, since the house is a golden yellow. :D You know, like harvest gold...reminds me of the fridge we had when I was growing up. I am worried about one of the diecut sheets tho, it is thicker than the rest and seems to be splitting layers...anyone know the best adhesive to keep the layers together? What fun!!!!! Even if the schematics are confusing, it has a good picture of how things are supposed to go together! It's just a matter of figuring out what piece is what and numbering before I even start.

http://community.webshots.com/user/margcris1

Sorry, I couldn't get the individual link for the picture to work.

anyone know the best adhesive to keep the layers together?

When I have layers split on me I just make a small pudle of yellow Elmer's carpenter glue and use my toothpick to sread glue on the ply the piece popped off of, then stick the popped off piece back on it & clamp it (I put a bit of waxed paper between the clamp & the glue, no point in having the piece glue to the clamp :) ).

ilove, Where you looking over my shoulder when I was digging in my box?

Plastic siding, plastic shutters, paper roofing.

Looks like someone was giving a real good attempt at it and gave up. All the pieces were penciled with numbers. Missing some risers for the stairs. I dont know if all the pieces are there for the windows but have the plastic inserts.

Can`t find the door or chimney pieces. Dh is calling it my HUD house.

My base piece is thicker then the others. Maybe that is what it is.

Go and set up in the gallery so we can watch the skilcraft progress. :)

Okay gonna go and glue my fingers together!

When I have layers split on me I just make a small pudle of yellow Elmer's carpenter glue and use my toothpick to sread glue on the ply the piece popped off of, then stick the popped off piece back on it & clamp it (I put a bit of waxed paper between the clamp & the glue, no point in having the piece glue to the clamp  :rolleyes: ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the advice! i'll give it a try!

It's still in the box :D I am currently building the heritage and also have another house in progress down in the family room...no room to start another house at the moment (andrew is also building his garfield...), it will be quite some time before i get to that house, i have a couple of other projects that i want to do first. Margarita :lol:

• 1 month later...

I built the Nob Hill Victorian 20 years ago for my middle daughter, then she grew up and it went to the garage - where it had a fall out of the attic storage area. I've got a house that's pretty much in pieces, and no directions. I'm glad to find out the name of the kit - could not remember it, got lucky with a google search and landed on the ebay listing that you won.

It was my 2nd house and I changed it quite a bit then, replacing plastic windows with glass, and I changed the floor plan some to open it up. I think for its resurrection I'm going to make a 2 story front hall with elegant staircase and change things around even more - because I seem to be missing some pieces, but also I think it will come out better. The original house plan seemed crowded to me, without good access to the really nice tower rooms.

I did a lot of gessoing, sanding and smoothing, and I also used store-bought baseboards and window trim that I made out of balsa wood strips, and store-bought siding because I couldn't stand the plastic stuff that came with the house - though it made a good template. I agree with you about the roofing material - it's just paper. I used some nice small fishscale shingles that were proportionate to the house, though this time I think I'll use slate or sandpaper as suggested by some helpful forum members. I prefer the roof to be somewhat in the background and not a distraction.

I've got another project going now, but I'll take a picture of my pile of Nob Hill rubble before I start the guessing game of which piece goes where, and photograph my progress as the puzzle comes to life.

Good luck with your house!

Carol

I've got another project going now, but I'll take a picture of my pile of Nob Hill rubble before I start the guessing game of which piece goes where, and photograph my progress as the puzzle comes to life.

Good luck with your house!

Carol

• 3 weeks later...

:) Hi Ladies! Just got back from Seattle where we visited with our oldest daughter for her birthday, and got involved in multiple projects with her and her house.

Margarita, I would love a copy of the instructions! Of course I will reimburse you for any expenses and hope I can do you a big favor down the road. Many thanks for your generous offer - much appreciated. If you can upload, great - or I'll send my mailing address to your email.

Carol

B) Hi Ladies! Just got back from Seattle where we visited with our oldest daughter for her birthday, and got involved in multiple projects with her and her house.

Margarita, I would love a copy of the instructions! Of course I will reimburse you for any expenses and hope I can do you a big favor down the road. Many thanks for your generous offer - much appreciated. If you can upload, great - or I'll send my mailing address to your email.

Carol

i'll pm you to get details such as address :), i can make a photocopy and mail it to you. it may be later this week or first of next tho :lol:

No reimbursement necessary :) It will be cool to see some pictures tho! :p I think we would all love to see the before and after renovation photos!!!! Marg

• 7 months later...

Hi, looks like Heidi has this house, go to the page 1 of this thread and read her post, click on the PM button on her post, you can send her a personal message, she may know. I have the Nob Hill, which is a different house by Skilcraft. :flowers: Good luck! I know my house is a vintage house, but as to value i couldn't say. I've seen the kit going for under 100 dollars on ebay from time to time. I think i got mine for 50 dollars.

Hi All -

I've been out of touch for so long - and out of touch with all things miniature. My husband had a health crisis in July - what a wild ride! - and things are now more or less back to normal and that devil blood pressure under control. He announced his retirement but got tired of every day a Saturday for two months, and taking his blood pressure around the clock. As my sister put it, he didn't die so he's not retired after all. Said he'd rather die with his boots on and off he went. I can't argue with that as I'd do the same.

I'm currently redoing the office software and training the new employee, and hopefully will be able to walk away soon. I take one day to do my stuff and nothing else :yes:

I did have a major stroke of luck recently. My son Jeff, an ebay merchant, saw a Glencroft dollhouse - already built - for $45 in a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store, and put a hold on it for me :flowers: I retrieved it the same day and have removed the shingles and built a new front door as it was missing that. That's it so far, but heavenly.

Hope you're all having the most wonderful time with your dollhouse creations. Be back with you soon.

Carol