Dremel/rotary tool question

Tess11

I feel really silly, but I am missing some key part to using the sanding drum with my rotary tool. My tool is actually a Kawasaki brand, but all of the Dremel attachments work with it so I'm assuming if you use a Dremel you know what I'm talking about here.

My issue is that the sanding drums don't stay on the bit. I slide it on the bit, tighten the little screw at the end, and when I turn it on and start sanding, the round sandpaper part flies away. It's kind of funny, really, but one of the main things I wanted this tool for was sanding and the bit without he sandpaper just doesn't work so well. :lol:

I'm hoping I'm just doing something wrong, or missing a piece that holds in on, or something! I am slightly tool challenged but I manage pretty well. I'm hoping maybe one of you knows what I'm talking about.

Do you mean the sanding paper thingie won't stay on the rubber thingie and launches itself into space when you sand?

My Dremel-knock-off does the same thing. I wedge a small bit of paper between the sanding drum and the wheel and that helps, some. Mostly I sand towards myself in small sections, lifting the sanding drum off the wood and then down again, sorta up and down motion.

Those little suckers can really fly. Bounce, too.

Do you mean the sanding paper thingie won't stay on the rubber thingie and launches itself into space when you sand?

My Dremel-knock-off does the same thing. I wedge a small bit of paper between the sanding drum and the wheel and that helps, some. Mostly I sand towards myself in small sections, lifting the sanding drum off the wood and then down again, sorta up and down motion.

Those little suckers can really fly. Bounce, too.

Yep, that's exactly it. It's the most annoying thing! The dog and the kids know to stay away when I've got that tool out for fear of flying objects! Thanks for the tip.

I've got the el-cheapo Wal-Mart $10 special, but surprisingly, the attachments have all worked really well - the rubber drum really fits tightly to those sanding drums (thank goodness, because I use those more than anything else....)

When you crank down on the screw it compresses the rubber drum causing it to squeeze outward against the interior of the cardboard sanding tube. I occasionally had the "creeping tube" until I figured to tighten the srew on the end.

When you crank down on the screw it compresses the rubber drum causing it to squeeze outward against the interior of the cardboard sanding tube. I occasionally had the "creeping tube" until I figured to tighten the srew on the end.

Eureka! That was the ticket. I didn't know to crank that puppy down until the drum doesn't come off. Thank you once again, Holly! I just sanded the heck out of the San Fran with no problems, except that now I'm covered in dust. But I'm happy and don't care about that. Hooray! :p

• 12 years later...
  • 8 months later...
13 hours ago, Robin Barnwell said:

The drum is blue not black and I can’t figure out how to tighten it!

Hi Robin, welcome to the forum. :wave: 

How frustrating! Are you sure the blue drum is a Dremel brand? I ordered some Dremel sanding drums from Amazon yesterday and in scanning the offerings noticed some blue drums but did not note the manufacturer. I just went back to Amazon to look and could not find a single blue drum! Strange. In any event, if you know the manufacturer, can you Google their website and maybe find instructions there?