Webshots!!!! ^#%&*@#@!

Cuppa-Tea

Has anyone looked at any Webshots slideshows today? Did you notice those movie ads that are being incorporated into the slideshows? How ANNOYING!!!!! And confusing. At first I thought Rubycat was a Bill Paxton fan and had some photos of him in her dollhouse album. Then I noticed the same photos being appended to every slideshow, including my own! So, I am really ticked off and sent Webshots an email about it.

The photos are actually labeled "by Hardymum1" as if I took the pictures and put them in my album, but they are photos of the movie stars posing as if for a family photo. Very wierd.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christine, when I viewed your webshots, I didn't get any ads at all. Nothing on either side of the picture and your nickname is under each photo. I checked the slideslow as well as individually selected and there were no ads. Now I'm unsure if that may be due to the fact that I have a paid subscription to webshots and it knows my computer, (Hi wenlaine) always pops up in the corner when I go to look at anyone's pictures. But what I see is just perfect. Also, I love that house you've done. The roof is spectacular.

Wendy

I Think that is true. If you are a paid subscriber you don't get ads. It seems though to me if you are a paid subscriber your webshots should not show ads for anyone else too. That can be confusing to people who view your picturs huh??

Christine I love your wreaths! Very pretty! :D

I get an advertisement to the right of your albums. It seems no matter where you go these days there are advertisements plastered everywhere. Even when you go to the movie now you get advertisements. Pretty soon we're going to be see advertisements in our dreams! :)

These are actually pictures appended to the end of the album. If the album has, say 6 pictures in it, like my lightkeepers house, the site says it has 10 pictures and the last 4 are the ad for the movie.

You're right, I don't have a paid subscription, so maybe that's why. But I've never seen that before today!

I'm glad you like my houses! :D I wish I had time to do more on them. I've been neglecting my chores all weekend to make stuff but now I have to be a good girl and buckle down again.

I'll try to get some more pics up of my other houses. I have five in total! How did that happen??? :)

Yes, I see them Christine! I didn't sign into webshots, so it didn't know who I was. Now I will sign in and look again.

I signed in, and now I don't see it (I'm a paid subscriber). I would raise tee total mortal you know what about that Christine! That is extremely deceiving!

Edited by LPCullen

At first I thought Rubycat was a Bill Paxton fan and had some photos of him in her dollhouse album. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:)

As soon as I figure out who Bill Paxton is, maybe I will try to make a doll of him so he feels at home in my albums. :D

:)

As soon as I figure out who Bill Paxton is, maybe I will try to make a doll of him so he feels at home in my albums. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, did you see the movie "Titanic?" He was the guy who played the captain of the modern-day treasure hunting boat who found the necklace and got the elderly Rose to come and tell her story. He's been in a ton of movies, I just can't think of any others at the moment.

All you have to do to see the pics is go to Webshots, log out, and then view a slideshow of one of your own albums as "guest."

Honestly, when I first saw the photos, I didn't recognize him and I thought it was a shot of your mom and dad or something.

Christine I love your wreaths!  Very pretty!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you! I made them for a church fundraiser. It's something I just decided to do one day and I was quite pleased with how they turned out. Now, if I could only figure out how to make miniature ones!

It seems no matter where you go these days there are advertisements plastered everywhere. Even when you go to the movie now you get advertisements. Pretty soon we're going to be see advertisements in our dreams!

I really am irritated with all this advertising, but I can't really complain too much when it's obvious that it IS advertising. The way this thing works on Webshots, you don't know what you're looking at! I honestly thought that the photos were part of Rubycat's album - that she had taken them herself of family members, or, once I realized that they were famous people, that she had gone to some kind of a screening event and taken the photos. I even thought that she herself was one of the young woman in the photos, as in "Look at me, I got my picture taken with Bill Paxton!" It's very deceiving, as Linda said.

Yes, I see them Christine! I didn't sign into webshots, so it didn't know who I was. Now I will sign in and look again.

I signed in, and now I don't see it (I'm a paid subscriber). I will raise tee total mortal you know what about that Christine! That is extremely deceiving!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, Linda. I don't want to be the only one to complain about this, but I feel they've crossed a line here!

Also, I love that house you've done. The roof is spectacular.

Wendy, thank you so much! My family and friends think I'm NUTS. I spent hours and hours trying different painting techniques, and painting over what I had done previously because it didn't look just right. Nobody understands but us mini people. :)

Christine -

Your wreaths are beautiful. I honestly couldn't pick a favourite ... they're all so lovely. I haven't had the problem with advertisements on Webshots, but I"m also a paid subscriber. Webshots recognizes me from my home computer and from the office ... I'll have to find a way to sneak in. How do you fool a website?

Susanne

As soon as I figure out who Bill Paxton is, maybe I will try to make a doll of him so he feels at home in my albums.

He also starred in the movie "Twister" with Helen Hunt. He's a good actor. I had a crush on him some time ago! :)

Christine -

Webshots recognizes me from my home computer and from the office ... I'll have to find a way to sneak in.  How do you fool a website?

Susanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You just log out Susanne. At the upper right of the screen I think are words that say "Log Out". Then it will show it. I viewed one of my personal albums, the Jimmy and John one, and those photos were in there. I emailed everybody on the list I could find about it. It also infringes on my name, since it says very clearly photo by LPCullen. I'm as mad as you are Christine!

As soon as I figure out who Bill Paxton is, maybe I will try to make a doll of him so he feels at home in my albums

Bill Paxton also played the Harrison Ford-type character in "Space Balls" (Mel Brooks' sendup of "Star Wars"), the dad in "Casper" and the President in "Independence Day".

I made a Dr Who (Tom Baker) doll, it's a lot of fun to try to make them look like someone :)

I just don't like how they've inserted it into our own personal albums! That is really wrong! It's not a part of our album. And then, to have the photo show up and say it's by us, that's the use of our name, which I don't believe is legal. If more of us email them about it, they should correct it.

However, I'm with Cat. I'm so angry I'm about ready to shut down my webshots accounts too. All of them.

No, don't shut down your account just yet. Give them a chance to respond. If we want to work for change, we need to be open and flexible here. I'm guessing that Webshots itself is not responsible for this, but this CNET that appears to own them. If you look at the links at the bottom of the main Webshots screen, there are several that have to do with CNET News, CNET Shopper, CNET Reviews, etc. I think that if this continues, we can say "If you don't stop this, then we will close our accounts." But if you close it before they have a chance to do anything about it, then you lose your leverage as well as the use of their services. KWIM?

PS I'd rather have photos of Mel Gibson in my album, personally. Or... Cirian Hinds!

Now I'm really at a loss. I'm not able to open mine or anyone else's albums. I just wrote to them, I wonder how long it will take to hear back. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? I get that dreaded "Page Cannot Be Opened" if I click on anything in the Webshots program. Although it does allow me to log in and log off.

Wendy

It is offensive to me as well, and at least one person there deleted my email without even reading it. I see that they changed the name, but I requested that they remove it completely from my albums.

One last chance, and then I delete all albums.

I sent in a complaint after the first post here and today I did a looksie in my albums and it did not show up in the albums. The only ads shown were around my pictures. Maybe it was a glitch and I have not heard from them yet either. I had there telephone number on my old computer :)