Beacon Hill or wait for Willowcrest to return

I would really like to build a Beacon Hill. In the gallery pics it looks pretty straightforward, at least the basic shell. I have done so many other Greenleaf houses since I first started and the Beacon Hill would be the most expensive except for the Garfield. I haven't done either. I had a Willowcrest years ago when I didn't know as much as I do now about construction. I put it all together and didn't realize I'd never be able to wallpaper the stair area once it was assembled and after several other similar mistakes, I gave up and gave it away to a thrift store. Now I know I could have at least tried to remove the wall. I keep hoping it will be re-issued. I remember some of the exterior trim was similar to the Beacon Hill, the roof supports and how the curved roof pieces fit in, and how the trim was put on in layers. I know the Beacon Hill must have lots of plywood sheets and I was wondereing if the basic shell pieces are grouped together somewhat. Sorting everything out can be a job. Also, are the windows easy to put together.? I don't mind upgrading things and usually do, railings, posts, etc., but the BH windows would be difficult to change if there were any problems. The BH would be my most expensive house and I imagine the Willowcrest would be a little higher than average so don't know whether to go for thr BH or wait and hope the Willowcrest will be available soon. There's the Memorial Day sale now at HBS so I'm tempted.

I had a shop owner once tell me if you could build a Greenleaf, you were good and he didn't mean it as an insult to GL but as a compliment to me. They do take skill and with each house you learn something you didn't know before.

Hmmm... This is a tough one, but I think that I would buy the Beacon Hill NOW during the sale; that way you have the summer to work on it. When your BH is done, maybe they will have reissued the Willowcrest (is this one out of commission REALLY?) and if not, then begin looking for a used one on ebay or for private sale.

reissued the Willowcrest (is this one out of commission REALLY?)
I don't know about "out of commission" but it was discontinued a few years ago.

Pat,kits come up on greed-bay or you can check your local Craig's List, etc, to see when one pops up; I keep checking thrift shops for kits/ partly-built or otherwise rehab-able dhs.

I say go for the Beacon Hill now and keep looking for the Willowcrest. We learn from past mistakes, so I'm sure you'll do fine with the BH and won't give up so easily now that you're more experienced. In the meantime, keep looking for a Willowcrest, and if it's meant to turn up, it will. I'm doing the BH now (my first Greenleaf kit), and it's not all that bad. Just take your time.

A dollhouse in hand is worth two discontinued dollhouses in the bush.

Get the Beacon Hill... and when the Willowcrest is re-released...notice I say WHEN because I refuse to believe they won't... you can get that one too.

A dollhouse in hand is worth two discontinued dollhouses in the bush.

Get the Beacon Hill... and when the Willowcrest is re-released...notice I say WHEN because I refuse to believe they won't... you can get that one too.

I can't believe I did it but I did. I ordered the Beacon Hill. Money is tight but life is short. :banana: There is so much bad news in the world right now, financial and otherwise, and if I wait for it to get better I'll never do it. The Willowcrest willl be next. By the time the BH is finished, which could be quite awhile, maybe the Willowcrest will be available. I could have gotten the BH for about $40 less on ebay but would rather stay with HBS where they come direct from GL. I trust HBS and have never had a problem with them. The bus I ordered will be here tomorrow. I certainly will have lots to do for awhile. :birthday:

I ordered the Beacon Hill. Money is tight but life is short.
Oh, Pat, you have made a true saying, worthy of all men to be believed! At our age and what we (a lot of us who are into this hobby, anyway) have been through it's OK to play and have fun.