Has anyone used Lorsazepam / Ativan for a dentist vist.

lynnae

I have a lot of aniexty when it comes to the dentist. I have a wisdom tooth that has to come out. I have a appointment for Monday. The dentist gave me 3 1 mg tablets of Lorazepam / Ativian ( 3 mg total) to take two hours before my appointment. I have never taken this medication. I was woundering if anyone has ever taken this and how did it make them feel?

Wow! 3mg. You are not going to be driving yourself that is for sure. I take .5 mg 1x a day for my inner ear problems. It will mellow you out. You will have no problems with the surgery.

Do not worry about it. Most dr offices prescribe it for just the reason you are taking it. They also give it to people who are afraid of the MRI machine too.

Have you ever taken a Valium or a Xanax for surgery or just because? Same effect. You will sleep like a baby when you get home too.

That seems like a big dose since you've never taken it before. Personally, I think if you *really* need it to help with anxiety, 1 mg should be fine. Since you've never taken it before and don't know how you will respond to it, you should have someone drive you.

I've never taken it so I couldn't really say how it makes a person feel...but i've seen a person who took 4 at one time and she was drunk from it...slurred speech and confused so that is why i would say be conservative.

I take 5mg of Ativan just to get thru the door of a dentist office! I started about five years ago. It has been a great help and saved my teeth after avoiding the dentist except for emergencies all my adult life. Now I even go twice a year for cleanings but I don't drive and would not recommend anyone does so.

Thanks everyone. No I won't be driving. I have major aniexty with the dentist and I am a big person, that is probally why they gave me a high dosage. To the people who have taken it, did you know what was going on? Were you in control of yourself ?

I am having aniexty about taking a aniexty medication. lol :)

Thanks

Lynnae

Oh yes Lynnae. You will not be a loopdy-loo. You will be coherant..Just everything will be Groovy!

If you are worried, call the office and ask about the dosage. I would think taking 2 of the 3 would be fine but that is because I am estimating how I feel on mine.

You will remember everything, you wont be talking off the wall..You will just be very very relaxed. Really relaxed. They could pull your lip over your forehead and you would ask if they need some help..LOL

Do not worry. You will be fine. Good luck at the dentist!

Yes, as Heidi said, you will just feel relaxed. nothing weird at all. If you are very anxious these drugs metoblize quickly that is why you will see such a wide range of dosages. I am terified of the dentist hence the 5mg. and I am a small person.

Tooth is out. :yes: The meds didn't really affect me much. So they gave me gas and that really helped. It aches quit a bit now, but I will make it. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Lynnae

Ok, Ok....I guess now I have to stop giving my husband a hard time for needing Valium to go to the dentist!! I usually roll my eyes at him when he has to get an Rx for it before a dental appointment.

When I go to the dentist, I sit back, open my mouth, and relax. Doesn't bother me a bit. I can see, though, how it could be a very anxious time for some. I feel the same way when I have a GYN appointment!!!

lol I know that feeling. My mom took me to the dentist. I forgot to tell her I was taken the meds. I think she figured something was up when she walked thru the door and I was trying to give my cat a drink of lemonade thru a straw.lol

• 13 years later...
On 4/19/2008 at 3:42 PM, lynnae said:

I have Major dental anxiety due to the fact that I feel about 70% of the pain from the procedure.

I just had my first dental trip without and anxiety, had 2.5mg when I woke up (so I didn't stress all day) & 7.5mg 40 minutes before the procedure.

I would normally be a shaking twitching mess but this time just felt bliss, like catching up with old friends (except the pain) which was still horrendous even after 4 jabs 

On 4/18/2008 at 10:42 PM, lynnae said:

I have a lot of aniexty when it comes to the dentist. I have a wisdom tooth that has to come out. I have a appointment for Monday. The dentist gave me 3 1 mg tablets of Lorazepam / Ativian ( 3 mg total) to take two hours before my appointment. I have never taken this medication. I was woundering if anyone has ever taken this and how did it make them feel?

My daughter has to and if  she takes the ativan she is OK for a tooth out.When she had  rooted new teeth put round both sides up and down  in sh had to be knocked right outThe Ativan takes the axiety away