Mystery

jing-jing

Wow!  It really doesn't look like fabric. 

<giggling> It looks like stone from a distance, but if you walk on it, it's lots warmer on your toes.

I'm thinking about trying to use a piece of linoleum tile (with stone design) to create a stone floor.  There was an article in one of the dollhouse magazines a few months ago about this concept and from the picture at least it looked very real.  Anyone had luck with this?

Ah, now that's the something I want to try very soon. I saw that article too and thought, "I think I can do that!" but it definitely wouldn't work in the Lily which is what's on the table now. My "next-in-line" when the Lily is done will be a Glencroft made into a wizard's house. (it's the perfect size to go next door to my witches house on a shady lane in a glen) And a wizard's house needs a pet dragon filling up one room and well, let's face it, if you're going to have a pet dragon living indoors, you really need stone floors. :) (and maybe custom made stained glass windows designed from sigals and seals) Hmmmm......gotta write that one down.

Of course, then I got totally distracted by Dean and Tracy's reference to the Mossy Cottage/Aster the other day and then a very creative conversation with Carol about fairy houses, and got to thinking about an emerald and peridot cottage for a summer fairy and a green stone floor there would be reeeeeeeeeally pretty.

Okay, now that I've rambled and digressed and chased half a dozen different trains of thought off in various directions (I think I'm having creativity surges tonight instead of hot flashes), what were we talking about? Oh, stone floors! Yep, I think I'm going to give them a try real soon. B)

Deb

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But mine was easy and used no sharp instruments (always a plus with me  :) )

-David

<handing you a box of bandaids> I'll try it if you will! B)

Deb (also not adept with sharp, pointy things)

I made my stone floor in the Lafeyette using paperclay and scrapbook paper
I used a stone-look wallpaper for my Glencroft's kitchen floor and spackling compound (OF COURSE!!!) for the stone floor in the bathroom, but I definitely want to try the floor tile.

if you're going to have a pet dragon living indoors, you really need stone floors.

And you'd better put a drain in the floor, as well! :) Maybe with a water tap on the wall to hook up the hose to wash it down...

thinking about an emerald and peridot cottage for a summer fairy and a green stone floor there would be reeeeeeeeeally pretty.

Ooo, ooo, I found a book of faux painting techniques at Lowe's that had a section on painting malachite!

<handing you a box of bandaids>  I'll try it if you will!  B)

Deb (also not adept with sharp, pointy things)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D You got a deal! :D

And let me know if you get started on that Peridot and Emerald cottage cause I might have something that could go in it ;) and nope I'm not telling what it is :D

not yet anyway :)

-David

And you'd better put a drain in the floor, as well!  :angry: Maybe with a water tap on the wall to hook up the hose to wash it down...

heheheeehee Yeah, I think a drain would be mandatory with a dragon in the house. He's also going to have his own little food bowl with "Fido" written on the side. And maybe some bones tossed back in the corner.

Ooo, ooo, I found a book of faux painting techniques at Lowe's that had a section on painting malachite!

<perking up ears> Erh? Now that's the kinda thing I'm looking for! Do you remember the name of the book right offhand?

Deb

:o You got a deal!  :)

And let me know if you get started on that Peridot and Emerald cottage cause I might have something that could go in it  :o  and nope I'm not telling what it is  :p

not yet anyway  :angry:

-David

As the watchmaker said to the timex, "We haf ways of making you tock". heheheheheheehee (sorry, old joke) Now that you have my attention, what are you thinking of? Huh? Huh? <peering thru the monitor to look over your shoulder> Did I mention that the cat and I believe that curiosity never killed anything but time? <cackle>

When I say peridot and emerald, I mean literally. I have a pretty good stash of semiprecious stone chips left over from a textile project and I plan on using the emerald, peridot, citrine and malachite sprinkled into the stucco on the walls. And maybe some copper wire or tubing for trim here and there. Can't you see that treatment on the Aster? Is cool, yes? :D Oooohhh yes.

Is it obvious that I'm in need of some *serious* grounding with some earthy colors? The lily is beautiful in the light colors, but I'm overdosing on pastels. As soon as she's done, I need to either make a couple of earthy houses or go outside and make mud pies. And it's too darn cold for mudpies. <cackle>

Deb

As the watchmaker said to the timex, "We haf ways of making you tock".  heheheheheheehee (sorry, old joke)  Now that you have my attention, what are you thinking of?  Huh?  Huh?  <peering thru the monitor to look over your shoulder>  Did I mention that the cat and I believe that curiosity never killed anything but time?  <cackle>
LOLOL I just love your sayings :o :angry:

When I say peridot and emerald, I mean literally.  I have a pretty good stash of semiprecious stone chips left over from a textile project and I plan on using the emerald, peridot, citrine and malachite sprinkled into the stucco on the walls

Deb you are indeed a woman after my own heart - I hadn't thought about using precious and semi precious gems in the walls that could get pricey but I did have another item in mind - tic- tic -tic, nope you can't make me tock :) I know. I'm a pain :o

-David

Semi-precious stones in the wall. That sounds totally luxurious. You know what would be awesome (in the same vein) would be to make one wall totally out of bits of mother of pearl opal (or abalone would be more reasonable I suppose). If it's a fairies house technically you could use irridescent shells as well...bits of mirror...lots of great possibilities!

Deb you are indeed a woman after my own heart - I hadn't thought about using precious and semi precious gems in the walls that could get pricey but I did have another item in mind - tic- tic -tic, nope you can't make me tock  :o  I know.  I'm a pain  :angry:

-David

<rolling up a sheet of wallpaper> C'mere David. Hold out your hands. **whap** **whap** heheheheehehehe Naw, you're not a pain, but I can never resist the urge to whap someone with wallpaper.

The gem chips aren't going to be an expense since I already have them on hand. They're leftover from a textile project and I can't think of a better use for them than sprinkling them into stucco. I'll have to order some fairy dust from Pyramid Collection tho for that special sparkle here and there to compliment the walls. It would actually be to scale too!

Deb

You know what would be awesome (in the same vein) would be to make one wall totally out of bits of mother of pearl opal (or abalone would be more reasonable I suppose).  If it's a fairies house technically you could use irridescent shells as well...bits of mirror...lots of great possibilities!

Oooooooooooohhh!! I *like* the way you think!! I was planning on using some shells here and there for the sinks and that kind of thing, but the mother of pearl or abalone wall would be absolutely gorgeous!!! Awesome idea! <blazing off to find my Fire Mountain catalog>

Deb

I did it! It took me a few hours and I still don't have feeling in my fingers from pressing so hard on the tile knife but I finished half of the faux stone floor! (Please gnore the temporary wallpaper...it'll be replaced with stucco and timber soon.)

It's in the Dollhouse Delights gallery. (I'm out of room to post in my entry)

I can't decide if I really like it though...I think I'm too used to the old wooden floor. I haven't sealed it to floor yet in case I decide not to use it. What do you guys think? Should I keep it or go back to the wood?

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...cmd=si&img=1311

I can't decide if I really like it though...I think I'm too used to the old wooden floor.  I haven't sealed it to floor yet in case I decide not to use it.  What do you guys think?  Should I keep it or go back to the wood?

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...cmd=si&img=1311

I love it! It looks completely in sync with that room and you did a fantastic job. It truly looks like genuine stone.

Deb

Oh Wow! and I just noticed the little wooden skull on the candle stand Oh WOW! Definitely keep the floor - That's awesome! I kinda see what you mean about liking the wood because it looks warmer than stone.. but the stone really gives it a nice aged look and looks Very professionally finished!! I Love it!

-David

It looks GREAT!! It looks perfect with your room!!

You are right though about the numb fingers and then my shoulder always hurt the next day too LOL. Hubby said I need to change the blade 3 times per floor because he did one for me about 1 year ago for me and said the edge goes dull quickly. I always forget to change it though :angry: .

Do you remember the name of the book right offhand?

I think it was called Faux Finishes, but of course now I can't find it anywhere! I also have a book I found on the Books-a-million "remainder" table, Underfoot by Jocasta Innes, that has all sorts of projects it'll be fun to do in mini.

Wow. Change the blade 3 times per floor? That might explain my temporary corporal tunnel syndrom. :lol: I'll keep it in mind when I do the next tile. I'm just now getting sensitivity back in my pointer finger!

Thanks for all the feedback! BTW, the wooden skull on the candelabra is just a carved wooden bead that luckily matched the stain really well. I'm thinking of wigging a few more of the skulls and tying the hair to the fireplace ala shrunken heads.

You guys have inspired me to get this dollhouse finished this year. I'm going to sell a few peices of another miniature collection (what is this obsession with miniatures?) to bankroll the rest of the house. I have so much more that I want to do!

Just wanted to share my latest finds with people I know would appreciate them! :) I really wanted to go to the dollhouse shop this weeken but my hubby ended up convincing me to go with him to a rock shop. I found the coolest pieces for Exeter House! A beautiful crystal quartz bowl (which I filled with peridot pieces that I also got from the rock shop) that's perfectly to scale. I also got an amazing tiny little skull carved out of a piece of crystal. Yippee! Not only that but I also got some great miniature fossils and my favorite find...tiny, tiny popped geodes. They are smaller than marbles and are basically tiny little rocks from india that are hollow and are covered with shimmering little crystals inside.

Anyone currently trying to outfit a witches house? I highly recommend checking out your local rock shop.

• 2 months later...

Mystery solved!!

Hi guys!

Sorry it's been so long since I posted. I've been very busy with something non-dollhouse related (I'll post in the chit-chat forum about it!) and I'm finally catching my breath. Remember months ago when I asked you guys for help identifying my mystery miniature artist and you offered me great leads? Well I was in a dollhouse shop in San Antonio Texas this weekend when I found several of his pieces in a cupboard! The owner was like, "Oh, you like 9's work?" Huh? Apparently this guy likes to change his name on a regular basis...hence the reason why no one seems to know who the heck he is. If anyone was interested his name is Michael Mortimer and also goes by 9 and another name that she couldn't remember and lives in the UK. Yeehaw. OF course I had to buy everything she had. :blink: I'll have to post new pictures as soon as I have a chance.

Thanks for all your help!

~Jenny