Mystery

jing-jing

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here are a few of the tarot room. I couldn't find a lot of stuff that I needed for this house so I made a lot of it myself. I sculpted all of the dragons, and the house elf and woman in the mirror in the attic. The doll is from a kit (although, sadly, the kit maker wouldn't recognize her.) Almost everything here has been bashed, broken and remade. I still have a lot more work to go before I can show you the other rooms.

FYI...the earlier pictures show the astrology room with the hidden room. Inside the hidden room a fairy guards a mysterious bottle. The globes in the house show the location of known werewolf packs and dragon dens. (My witch tries to locate dragon families for relocation...deforestation is becoming a serious issue you know.)

Ouija tables, tarot cards, potions, tea readings, spell books, Death's top hat hangs near her witches hat (10 points for anyone who recognizes that reference), a pistol is hidden in the hall tree. My witch (I still haven't found a name for her) has just created a lost box (which locates things that are misplaced) because she is constatntly misplacing her skeleton keys.

post-569-1138583640_thumb.jpg

post-569-1138583662_thumb.jpg

Jing-Jing

Wow - I'm envious! What an awesome Awesome house!! Ok - here's the deal - You Have to send photos to a magazine! ;) The fact that you sculpted the dragons and fairy yourself and made so manyof the items - plus the wonderful furniture finds you have would really add a lot of reader interrest!! - please think about contacting a magazine so that the rest of the mini world can see this awesome house! I think for any October issue a published Mag (AM or DHM) would probably be very interrested - at least I would think they would be - this WAY better than my gargoyels! I wish I could make dragons like those!

-David

Aw thanks! I'd love to show the house in a magazine but it's still so unfinished. Thanks so much for the feedback!

The spiral staircases are actually great kits from a woman in Spring Texas. I can give you her number if you're interested. She has the pieces (they're wood actually) lasercut. You just assemble, glue and spray paint. Takes a few hours for each staircase.

So do you guys have any suggestions for the house? Since it's focused on magic or horror books and movies I'd love to hear if I've missed any. I'm working on a "Rear Window" corner of the house but I haven't found an affordable cained wheelchair yet. I also have the portrait of Dorian Gray "decaying" in a corner. I have other references to Bram Stoker, Poe, Rowling, Carroll, Gaiman, Ruth Chew, Dickens. Any other suggestions?

PS...I love your gargoyles, david!

Jing-Jing,

I love your house that you did a wonderful job. I love your stair case and I also love the table in the tarot room,.I just cant say enough over everything that is in your house. I love the whole theme.

Lyn

I have to join in on the compliments of this house!!!

wowowowowowowowowow

I am totally impressed!

does the lady in texas who makes the wonderful stairs have a website or e-mail?

I crave an ornate spiral staircase such as yours!

you are doing a wonderful job and have just made my eyes hungry for MORE!

the woman comming from the mirror is just perfect!

may I as which kit your house is?

you have done a wonderful job on it!

thanks so much for sharing!

nutti :)

Thanks so much! It's so wonderful to show my dollhouse to people who don't think I'm a nut for obsessing over a "toy". :)

Actually (I'm going to get the stink eye now, aren't I?) it's not a greenleaf house. (Sorry!) It's the Apple Blossom from Real Good Toys. (Although pretty much unrecognizable from what it was supposed to look like.)

The woman with the staircase kits is the owner of Dollhouses Unlimited in Spring Texas. She doesn't have a website but her number is (281) 655-5588. I think the kit was about $40-50 and came with everything but glue and paint.

Actually (I'm going to get the stink eye now, aren't I?) it's not a greenleaf house.

We promise we won't give you any stink eyes so longa as it is a miniature LOL. Shucks, you may not get one for showing a "real" house either :). You did a Wonderful Job!!

:D

Very cool. Like everyone else, I love the mirror, could you tell us how you made it? The doll looks very familiar, is she from Dana's goddess kit? I have the same doll if she is.

I'm off to study the rest of the pictures :)

What about having a coffin!! You could have a zombie child rising out of it...I don't know, but zombie children to me are always more terrifying than an adult zombie.

Also your house is so fantastic ... it just can't end here. You HAVE TO create grounds around the house. It just lends itself to so much more.

I have to join in on the compliments of this house!!!

wowowowowowowowowow

I am totally impressed!

you are doing a wonderful job and have just made my eyes hungry for MORE!

the woman comming from the mirror is just perfect!

you have done a wonderful job on it!

thanks so much for sharing!

Ditto everything Nutti said, very impressive.

Peggi

Good eye, CatColorado! The doll is a Dana kit...but not the Goddess. She was suposed to be an Edwardian Lady...but I'm not as advanced as that kit so my doll ended up with a distinctive little house in the prairie look. :)

The lady in the mirror was not too difficult. I painted the mirror (it's part of a cabinet actually), sanded it so it looked aged, and then I sculpted the face out of paper clay. I made the hair from a ragged black tassel. I sculpted the arm and hand out of fimo and them superglued the peices onto the mirror. A great trick I learned was so paint a little bit of superglue around the head and hand because it adds a great "cloudiness" to it. Another great little trick I found was to paint little handprints on the window panes with superglue on a toothpick. It looks like little kids (zombie kids perhaps?) have just been peering into the windows.

Awesome! I'm going to have to try that, it looks really great and perfect to make someone do a double-take.

I really like how your doll turned out. I keep thinking about getting another of her kits but have a terrible time making up my mind.

I noticed your scene didn't have any scary clowns (a la 'Stephen King'), maybe you could have one lurking outside :) Brrr...shiver

Jing-Jing, you've done a marvelous job! <standing and applauding> I love every detail of it! My witches house is a "wise woman/hedge witch" home, but you've captured the essence of high magick quite well. Each time I look at your pictures I find something new, like the images on the tarot box. Absolutely delightful!

I agree with David. Your work is definitely worthy of a magazine.

Deb

Thanks Deb! I actually did send a few pictures in to a dollhouse magazine last year to see if they might be interested but I didn't even get a "no way, you big loser" response. Later they got a new editor so maybe it got lost in transition. After this response though maybe I'll try again this year. :) You guys have inspired me to try to finish up the bedroom and kitchen.

Deb, where did you find the stone floor that you put in your witches greenhouse? I love it! (Also, I have the same spinning wheel in my witches bedroom...great minds!)

Thanks Deb!  I actually did send a few pictures in to a dollhouse magazine last year to see if they might be interested but I didn't even get a "no way, you big loser" response.  Later they got a new editor so maybe it got lost in transition.  After this response though maybe I'll try again this year.  :)  You guys have inspired me to try to finish up the bedroom and kitchen. 

Deb, where did you find the stone floor that you put in your witches greenhouse?  I love it!  (Also, I have the same spinning wheel in my witches bedroom...great minds!)

You should definitely resubmit your work. It must have gotten lost in the shuffle as I can't see how anyone could overlook it.

The stone floor in the greenhouse is a cheat. :D It's fabric mounted onto a sheet of posterboard cut to size. The "lawn" is also fabric liberated from my quilting stash. It's a place holder till I learn how to landscape. Once I learn more about working with mini plants, the interior of the greenhouse will become more of an herbalist's domain.

I can't wait to see pictures of the rest of your house. I'm still in awe over what you've shown us so far.

Deb

Wow! It really doesn't look like fabric.

I'm thinking about trying to use a piece of linoleum tile (with stone design) to create a stone floor. There was an article in one of the dollhouse magazines a few months ago about this concept and from the picture at least it looked very real. Anyone had luck with this?

Hi Jing-Jing,

I think Linda may have tried it - If it's the article I'm thinking of it was by Rik Pierce and I know she and some others have taken his classes. I haven't tried it myself but I've been wanting to!! I made my stone floor in the Lafeyette using paperclay and scrapbook paper. I was pretty happy with it till I saw the one by Rik Pierce using the floor tile - his is Definitely better! :) But mine was easy and used no sharp instruments (always a plus with me B) )

-David