Paperclay

Miss Elaine

I keep reading about paperclay and I understand what everyone is doing, but I still don't know exactly what it is. I have looked at the great pictures and would like to try using it.

Do you make it yourself? Is there a tutorial here somewhere? I did try a search. Do you buy a mix? Is it the same as paper mache? Do you carve it like clay?

Thanks for your help.

:banana:

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but here it is any way. In Dollhouse Miniatures Magazine Nov. 2007 pg. 26 they have a recipe for cold-porcelain style clay which sounds alot like paperclay (air dry). I haven't made this so let me know if it works.
:)

Mix together 1 cup
baking soda
, 1/2 cup
cornstarch
, & 2/3 cup water in a
small saucepan
. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture holds together and somewhat resembles mashed potatoes. Remove the mixture from the pan and place on a breadboard or other suitable kneading surface. When it's cool enough to handle, knead in 3 tablespoons of
white, tacky type glue
, 1 teaspoon
white acrylic paint
, either several drops of
bleach or oil of clove
(as a preservative), and then another 1/2 cup of cornstarch. Knead until smooth; Store in airtigght bag. Clay will air-dry hard in several hours to overnight, depending on the thickness of piece. Clay can be tinted by kneading in
colored chalk
shavings or
acrylic or watercolor paints
. Sculpted pieces may alsobe painted after their creation.

• 2 weeks later...

Paperclay can be thought of as either high-paper content clay or high-clay content papermache. Cold porcelain is an air-drying modeling mixture that has the look & feel of porcelain when it dries, but doesn't have to be fired in a kiln.

• 2 weeks later...