new to dollhouses

Sonnet

Greetings everyone!

Recently I was given a "well loved" Magnolia dollhouse. I am having a great time with it. I have done some repair, finished the shingles (Whew!) and have started decorating the inside. I accomplished some painting and wallpapering (with molding) and it is looking pretty good. My 2 daughters love it but I think I am having more fun than they are. It has been a great "practice" house and I am now ready to move onto bigger and better things. I have been seriously thinking about purchasing the Beacon House and wondered if anyone had any opinions? Any advice on purchasing would be great.

Thanks!

Well, the BH is awesome in my opinion, and I can't say I wouldn't chose it as a first house, I am bashing 2 together as my first build. My only suggestion is that you dry fit everything you can first, try to see what you want to change before glueing, definately paper or paint the wall behind the stairs first, and most important, do not let it get you frustrated. I have learned very quickly, walk away, post your problems here, there have been many incredible BH'ds built here and the ppl have tons of helpful ideas/hints. Most of all, ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome, Sonnet, I hope you'll pop in over at the Newcomers' forum & introduce yourself to everybody.

do not let it get you frustrated. I have learned very quickly, walk away, post your problems here
John gives most excellent advice. I also find that when I get frustrated enough to cry (which is usually when I'm cutting loose with "colorful" language, so called because it turns the air so blue that clouds of indigo rise up from my workroom & innocent little birds flying by overhead are instantly stunned and drop to the ground, and all the feral cats for miles around come have a huge dinner party below my windows), it's a good time to go pour myself a stiff drink of 18 year old single barrel bourbon and curl up with a trashy novel.

:unsure: Hi and welcome to the group Sonnet!

The Beacon Hill is an awesome house! I have not attempted that one (first, I have no room for it, and 2nd, it would probably scare me to death to even try it yet..I'm still pretty new at this ), but I know others here have done the BH as their first build, and had no problems at all. If and when problems arise, the forum is a fabulous place to get answers - there is such a wealth of knowledge here, and everyone is very friendly and more than willing to help with advice.

Whichever house you choose, do have fun with it and we LOVE pictures here..(hint, hint :lol: )so hope you share your progress with us!

Good luck,

Chris

(Holly, are you saying that periodically there should be a "no-fly zone" posted above your house??? :lol: )

(Holly, are you saying that periodically there should be a "no-fly zone" posted above your house??? )
No, Chris, I think the airways are safe; we live in the woods with LOTS of trees around our house, and other than passenger planes flying above the clouds the only air traffic I see are the Sheriff's choppers flying over looking for pot-fields & meth-labs; indigo clouds aren't characteristic of either, so they're in no danger.