Beacon Hill stairway

KathieB

I've been thinking about the Beacon Hill, even though it's not yet out of the box. In particular, I've been thinking about the ground floor stairway. This photo is of rbytsdy's BH. I really like looking at this view of the stairway, but when the front of the house is in place, it can only be glimpsed through the front door. This leads me to wonder whether the whole stairway can be turned so the lower part faces the rear of the house. From photos, it appears that the door of the master bedroom (middle floor, right room) would have to be relocated; minor change. And the stairway to the top floor moved to the other side of the hall; also minor. What I'm wondering about is the bump-out of the parlor into the ground floor hallway, which could be troublesome.

Has anyone tried this?

I believe HBMini shifted their stairs a certain way... I remember seeing pics in the gallery.

All I know is that those Beacon Hill stairs are the bane of my existence!

Yes! Thanks, Milla. Thanks for jogging my memory. I knew this idea didn't spring out of nothingness. This is a picture of HBMini (Marcy)'s BH stairs. She also has the bookcase/hidden stairway and the dumb waiter as well as other interesting innovations in her house! :p

Okay, this isn't the stairway that comes with the house, but it has me thinking, and I'm sure now that I want the stairs facing the back of the house. :)

Kathie, try dry-fitting parts of the staircase reversed, I like that double turn, if you could get the loer two flights aimed towards the back of the house instead of the front; might be easier on the nerves decorating, too.

I really like looking at this view of the stairway, but when the front of the house is in place, it can only be glimpsed through the front door.

That's what I like about this build and others like it, though-- little things that will require a mirror tool (or at least some amount of effort) to actually see...! I plan to put some detail, pictures or wall art, going up the stairs-- I don't know if that will end up even being visible through the front doors, but that's what I like about it...

I like the double turn, too. The space doesn't really ask for a curved staircase, although I thought about it.* The double-turn straight runs are in keeping with the proportion of the hallway in the BH.

*The curved staircase looks very nice in the Pierce, but that's a story for another day. :)

...what I like about this build and others like it, though-- little things that will require a mirror tool (or at least some amount of effort) to actually see...! I plan to put some detail, pictures or wall art, going up the stairs-- I don't know if that will end up even being visible through the front doors, but that's what I like about it...
I've done that with the Gonesh shrine in the Ananda family's general store. When we went to the flea market this past weekend I bought one of those dental mirrors to put with it when I get ready to sell the Orchid, so potential & actual buyers can see what all is in the shrine with the wee statue of Baby Lord Gonesh.
The curved staircase looks very nice in the Pierce, but that's a story for another day. :)
Is THAT ever a leading statement to picque the ol' curiosity!

While I don't have a Beacon Hill to go by, I think the stairs in that house are fabulous (great designing job Greenleaf!). I hope that when Doug gets his (which he wants to make into a haunted house ever since that advertisement - THANKS GREENLEAF!) that he will want to make some changes in it too! The stairs are gorgeous! I love Deb's BH and often visit her sites to view it!

I've done that with the Gonesh shrine in the Ananda family's general store. When we went to the flea market this past weekend I bought one of those dental mirrors to put with it when I get ready to sell the Orchid, so potential & actual buyers can see what all is in the shrine with the wee statue of Baby Lord Gonesh.

The idea of arming a viewer with a mirror on a stick to bang into delicate bits gives me the shivers. I might think of hanging a mirror on a facing wall so the viewer can catch a glimpse of the otherwise hidden details.

Is THAT ever a leading statement to picque the ol' curiosity!

Re a curving stairway in the Pierce. This isn't a new idea, either. See Deb's Pierce HERE. I love how it opens up the space and yet is in keeping with the style of the house. But my Pierce is going to be a country inn in the Czech Republic, so I'm thinking a curving stairway would fit the space but not the theme.

While I don't have a Beacon Hill to go by, I think the stairs in that house are fabulous (great designing job Greenleaf!).

I agree, Gina. That's why I want to reorient them, not replace them. :)

If I ever get to build a Beacon Hill, haunted is definitely NOT the first thing I'd think of doing with it!lol

It's funny you mention that. When I first ordered my BH I had this whole idea of making it into a scary, haunted house. It just reminded me of the Psycho house whenever I'd see it on Greenleaf's website.

But, the minute I started to build that house it looked at me, upturned it's nose, and said "Oh no, Lady, you are NOT turning me into some dusty old Haunted slum!!!"

So here I am, decorating it now in some kind of faux upscale victorian. :)

Hi

I changed the direction of my Beacon Hill stairs because I wanted to have a front door that was centered in the middle of the tower section. Because I could not find a stair that I liked, I searched on-line looking for pictures of stairs that I liked.

I found a web site of a company that makes stair parts. They put on-line their manual on how to build stairs.

http://www.ljsmith.net/pdfs/EnglishInstallation.pdf

After reading and reading I finally figured out what they were doing. So I started by drawing the stairs that I wanted on paper based on the directions in the pdf file. Then I built my stairs. It took forever.

Hope this helps anyone trying to build a stair.

Marcy

Thank you for the link, which I shall print out if I can understand it. I once saw a book on building RL stairs at Lowe's that I was sorely tempted to get for mini applications, but it was 'way technical and I hadn't been doing so much hands-on stuff.

Marcy, thanks for the link. I've saved it for when I get to this point. It has some great information that will translate into minis very well.

I love your stairway. It looks as if it is an integral part of the orginal design. :whistle: